Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:24:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump: NFL should fire players who kneel during anthem  (Read 19556 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 23, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »

Trump is such a triggered snowflake

So normally it's not a "freedom of speech" issue when somebody says or does something and gets fired from their job for it, but .... couldn't Kaepernick or another kneeler at least raise the argument now that it is a freedom of speech issue since the President of the United States is publicly advocating their unemployment?

I also don't think it'a a free speech issue but it's woefully inappropriate for the president to try and use his informal influence to try and get private citizens fired for expressing political opinions he doesn't like. Let's imagine the reaction if Obama did this.

Also, let's remember all the hand-wringing about "free speech" that took place after swastika wearing C-Ville protesters who got their pictures in the news lost their jobs. Apparently only neo-nazis have the right to not lose their jobs due to their political positions, if it happens to anyone else we're all good. More evidence that the recent emphasis on "free speech" from the right is just an excuse to defend racism.

https://thenib.com/the-only-free-speech-the-alt-right-seems-to-care-about-is-nazi-memes
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:03:12 PM »

Somehow I feel like the free speech brigade will have a lot less to say about this
I haven't seen the right attack Caepernick's right to do what he did, but rather defend the NFL's right to effectively blacklist him. Free speech has consequences that can't be regulated. No one forced Collin Caepernick to make himself toxic.

Okay, but then why was there so much complaining about Google removing Stormfront/Daily Stormer, CVille protesters losing their jobs, alt-right figures getting banned on Twitter, exc, exc, exc..
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »

Since Auschwitz survivors opinions on Trump came up in this thread, I found this, from an actual Auschwitz survivor-

http://people.com/human-interest/auschwitz-survivor-compares-u-s-neo-nazi-extremism-to-the-worst-moment-of-my-life/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think that's a bit hyperbolic, but you wanted an actual Holocaust survivor's opinion. There are way more articles like that out there of Holocaust survivors strongly denouncing Trump.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »

The response you will see today is just further evidence of the point I brought up on Saturday: had Trump never said anything, none of this would have happened, the fringe of the NFL would have done their thing, and life would have gone on. BUT because Trump is a moron, he's actually incited many of the more 'moderate' players and convinced them that the fringe was actually correct all along.

Its the same crap we pulled in the Middle East. Bin Laden and Al Qaeda rant about how the US is controlling muslim countries, overthrowing regimes, etc....no one cares, then they attack us and we play right into their hands to radicalize thousands of more fighters.

This is all in the context that Trump doesn't want to do much to improve the underlying friction causing these protests in the first place. So again, the best thing for him to do would have been ignore and dismiss and hope it goes away by itself, but that proved to be far too difficult for him.

To me the issue has now shifted from a "should" to a "can" thing. I liked the larger number of player kneeling today and it bleeding over into baseball because it shows that this is America and the president doesn't get to tell people when they have to stand up.

Really, all of this shows how weak Trump is and how little respect he commands. First about a couple people on every team were doing, after he says not to, everyone starts doing it. The formal powers of the office remain the same, but Trump has less informal power than any president in recent memory. Yet another health care failure this week only compounds the issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies