Republicans in the Senate Block 9/11 Health and Compensation Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 12:05:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans in the Senate Block 9/11 Health and Compensation Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans in the Senate Block 9/11 Health and Compensation Act  (Read 2394 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 09, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »

In a straight party line vote of 57-42 (Reid voted no for Procedural reasons) the Republicans in the Senate Blocked the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act.  Truly just beyond sickening

That's really the more sad part of the story. That things can be so easily blocked even with 57 votes in favor.

This country is screwed.

it is comical. the GOP's behavior could well be setting the course of history for these things. the emergence of the filibuster has the potential to totally hamstring the US government's ability to enact even the most obvious legislation to solve basic problems.  such as DREAM.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »

Nice try, but there is no excuse for holding everything hostage until their little agenda gets passed. It doesn't make Republicans look noble, it just makes them look like the selfish ideologues they really are, but pretend not to be.

"The Republicans are terrorists.  They are holding the Democrats hostage" meme is tiresome.  

There was an election.  As Obama said when he got into office, elections have consequences.  Remember him lecturing Republicans about how "I won?"  Well, he and the Democrats lost in November.  Big time.  

Republicans are using the power granted to the Senate minority to do the work the American people want them to do - get the economy back on track and get the government funded in a proper way, not getting sidetracked with giving away goodies to Democratic special interests as the Democrats had done for the past 2 years, largely against the will of the American people.

not that this post is of any value, but I'd like to point something out to the readers. note the use of 'special interests'. it has taken an Orwellian meaning. special interests generally refer to organized or categorized segments of the general population: veterans in this case, but also labor unions, retirees, etc. in slightly different contexts. meanwhile the trillion dollar 'defense' budget, much of it an overt gift to tech, private security, and defense contractors is divine, sacrosanct, for the good of us all.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:06:49 PM »

ah, you guys beat me to it. I hope my elaboration retains some value.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies