question about underage flying in the US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 08:16:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  question about underage flying in the US
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: question about underage flying in the US  (Read 473 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2019, 08:15:34 AM »

I'm flying with my 17 yo son today.  He as a HS ID and an expired learner's permit.  The internet says those under 18 yo don't need an ID to fly, but his ticket says "Adult" and he looks like an adult.  Is this going to be a problem?  I expect not, but the wife is concerned and I figured some of you would have experience with this.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »

If you're flying with him, it should not be a problem. His age is clearly in the reservation. My airline, United, only requires ID from teens if they are traveling alone, but even then, they accept school ID. So my recommendation is for him to bring his school ID just in case. TSA shouldn't be a problem either as long as you accompany him.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 12:07:01 PM »

No ID needed. TBH, even I've gotten through security as an adult without ID once when I left my wallet at home. Not a bad idea to get him one soon though--does he not have a passport?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »

I mean by the books it should not be, but you know how tsa can be. Just the monday before last I was flying home and they pulled me aside for ten minutes absolutely insisting I had something in my left pocket when I did not. They probed me for like ten minutes with multiple officers, and guess what? They found nothing because there was nothing, and they just let me go looking like idiots. These people will pick a beef out of thin air. A lot of these people are brainless idiots who I did not really feel too sorry for when their paychecks were being witheld during the shutdown.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »

We had no trouble.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 11:37:23 AM »

Since he’s 17, it’s probably a good idea to just go ahead and get him a passport IMO. Even if you’re not planning to leave the country any time soon, it’s just good to have and he can get one that lasts ten years now.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »

I know your problem’s resolved, but: Most airlines don’t require student IDs because they aren’t issued by all schools. Any that do require identification for minors(especially under 16) usually will tell you so when buying the ticket.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 02:09:39 PM »

I know your problem’s resolved, but: Most airlines don’t require student IDs because they aren’t issued by all schools. Any that do require identification for minors(especially under 16) usually will tell you so when buying the ticket.
I was more concerned with TSA, but I just said he was 17 and there was no problem, I assume that's how it's going to play out this evening when we go back.  It probably helps that he looks just like me (minus the beard) and I use my military ID as my ....ahem...ID.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies