Canada Federal Representation 2024 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:06:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Federal Representation 2024 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Canada Federal Representation 2024  (Read 50494 times)
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« on: April 14, 2022, 02:17:20 PM »

Delta 110721
Richmond East-Queensborough 110149
Richmond West 110771
Vancouver South 109339
Vancouver Kingsway 108717
Vancouver East 104874
Vancouver Granville 123155
Vancouver Quadra 118658
Vancouver Central 117447
West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Powell River 110634
North Vancouver 125061
Burnaby North-Seymour 116907
Burnaby West 108028
New Westminster-Burnaby 116398
Port Moody-Coquitlam 123628
Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam 123229
Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge 110416
Fleetwood-Port Kells 122381
Surrey Central 115731
Surrey Newton 126009
Cloverdale-Sullivan 113924
South Surrey-White Rock 112449

I think it may technically possible to get two ridings out of Richmond which are both within 10%, but I figured treating Lulu Island as a unit wasn't that bad and made things much neater. I quite like my Vancouver Central, which is everything north of False Creek and west of Main Street. Not convinced I got the boundary right between Quadra and Granville. Cloverdale-Sullivan may very well be a terrible name. Apologies if so.

Fraser Valley

Langley-Walnut Grove 127751
Abbotsford 122308
Mission-Aldergrove-Fort Langley 113498
Chilliwack-Hope 122593

I like the version of Abbotsford I came up with, but I suspect Canadians would rather bisect it to improve the Mission seat?

I've been waiting for someone to do a deeper analysis of BC, (my home province), awesome job! - I was born and raised in Richmond, and think treating the entirety of Lulu island as an entity is feasible, (we also have a provincial riding of Richmond - Queensborough)

The one riding that has always upset everyone, is Burnaby - North Seymour, due to the complete lack of a community of interest. Though, it's very difficult to create a map that avoids the creation of this constituency - you'd have to play around with the Port Moody/Coquitlam/Maple Ridge area, per Krago's original proposal.

And yes, I doubt there would be the creation of an 'urban Abbotsford' seat - The current City of Abbotsford was amalgamated in 1995 from the District Municipality of Abbotsford, and the  District of Matsqui - the current borders between Abbotsford and Mission-Matsqui-Fraser Canyon, reflect pre-amalgamation Abbotsford.
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 03:03:15 PM »

2022-2023 Vancouver Redistribution Proposals

Vancouver is often described as a 'city of neighborhoods,' yet current federal riding boundaries do an incredibly poor job of respecting communities of interest.

Ridings like Vancouver Granville that attempt to combine apartments in Fairview, and mega-mansions in Kerrisdale/Shaughnessy, aside from being contained within 'major arterial streets' per the 2012 commission, make little sense.

Likewise, I've created a plan that splits only 2 city-defined neighborhoods, respects communities of interest within Vancouver, and uses Main Street as an 'East-West' divider.

Unfortunately unable to post link (yet!), but a map of Vancouver zoning/defined neighborhoods can be easily found online.

Vancouver Centre - 112302
Neighborhoods: Downtown (minus Gastown/Eastside), West End

Vancouver University - 111278
Neighborhoods: University Endowment Lands, Musqueam Reserve No. 2, West Point Grey, Kitsilano, Fairview

Vancouver Southwest - 112854
Neighborhoods: Dunbar-Southlands, Arbutus Ridge, Shaughnessy, South Cambie, Riley Park (west of Main St), Kerrisdale, Oakridge, Marpole (west of Oak St)

Vancouver South - 110706
Neighborhoods: Marpole (east of Oak St), Sunset, Victoria-Fraserview, Killarney

Vancouver Kingsway - 114840
Neighborhoods: Renfrew-Collingwood, Kensington-Cedar Cottage, Riley Park (east of Main St)

Vancouver East - 120210
Neighborhoods: Downtown Eastside/Gastown, Strathcona, Grandview-Woodland, Hastings-Sunrise, Mount Pleasant

Though if current population trends persist, I predict that Vancouver will drop to 5.5 or 5 ridings in the 2030s? Revive Vancouver South - Burnaby perhaps?
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 10:20:58 AM »

EDIT: Looks like it comes down to a question of what to do with the qathet RD. You could put it with Vancouver Island for 7 large ridings, or add it to Skeena-Bulkley Valley to get the latter within 10%. I take it a commission would be unlikely to consider the latter?
[/quote]

Hmmm - the main issue with electoral redistribution in Canada is that we try to achieve three objectives:

1. Keep all ridings close to the same population quotient
2. Ensure sparsely populated rural ridings are of manageable size for elected legislators
3. Keep the number of elected legislators in the chamber to a reasonable number

The challenge being, a country like Canada has densely population urban areas near the American border, and huge expanses of rural territory everywhere else --- We can only realistically expect to achieve 2/3 of these objectives, and oftentimes, keeping ridings to the same population quotient is abandoned. (I'd personally rather see Canada greatly expand the number of House of Commons seats, but that's unlikely to happen).

To complicate things further, there is a commission convention of 'collective rights' that protect ridings with concentrated indigenous populations (ex. Skeena - Bulkley Valley), and official language minority communities in certain provinces, (ex. English in Quebec, French in Ontario/Manitoba/New Brunswick/Nova Scotia). What also might be seen soon, is the extension of protected seats towards visible minority communities at large (ex. see 'Preston' in the recent Nova Scotia provincial redistribution).

Regarding 'Qathet RD,' it would make sense for it to be added to Skeena-Bulkley Valley to bring it closer to population equity. However, both Qathet RD and the Sunshine Coast RD, (which collectively create the 'Sunshine Coast'), are not accessible by outside road from the BC interior/north, and can only be accessed through ferry from West Vancouver and/or Vancouver Island.

Another challenge is that Skeena - Bulkley Valley is already incredibly difficult to represent, due to numerous remote fly-in communities, and the lack of transportation infrastructure for an elected MP to be accessible (aside from videoconferencing).

My gut feeling would be to put Quathet RD/Powell River, back in the North Island district, and allow Skeena-Bulkley Valley to remain below quotient, considering high population growth on the North Shore/Sunshine Coast. However, this might have unintended consequences on Vancouver Island - it would be unfortunate if the Courtenay-Comox community of interest was split again, like it was in the 2012 redistribution.

FYI, a BC that is allotted 43-45 ridings is much easier to split up across communities of interest Wink
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2022, 10:27:51 AM »

Yes, Burnaby North-Seymour seems like a terrible riding, particularly since the bridge connecting the two halves isn't even in the riding at the Vancouver End. I left it be to avoid disrupting everything else, but it is clearly not good.

North Van, West Van and the Sunshine Coast is 234277 people, which is ideal for 2 ridings. Burnaby, New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Port Coquitlam and Anmore are 563915 people without Queensborough or 574898 with. That's doable for 5 ridings, so I'll look into that and see what can be done without disrupting literally everything else.
[/quote]

Preach! If only we lived in small, quotient specific boxes of territory hahaha Wink

Hmmm, you might want to consider a broadly (I've not yet put this into mapping software to figure out populations)

1. New Westminster - Burnaby (with or without Queensborough)

2. North Burnaby - Port Moody/Anmore/Belcara

3. Burnaby South/Burnaby West

4. Coquitlam Centre

5. Port Coquitlam - North Coquitlam

Alternatively, you take inspiration from the 'Burquitlam' community of interest (border area between Coquitlam and Burnaby), or the 'New Westminster - Coquitlam' community of interest (created by BC redistribution commission in 2003)
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2022, 09:12:48 PM »

2022-2023 Vancouver Redistribution Proposals

Vancouver is often described as a 'city of neighborhoods,' yet current federal riding boundaries do an incredibly poor job of respecting communities of interest.

Ridings like Vancouver Granville that attempt to combine apartments in Fairview, and mega-mansions in Kerrisdale/Shaughnessy, aside from being contained within 'major arterial streets' per the 2012 commission, make little sense.

Likewise, I've created a plan that splits only 2 city-defined neighborhoods, respects communities of interest within Vancouver, and uses Main Street as an 'East-West' divider.

Unfortunately unable to post link (yet!), but a map of Vancouver zoning/defined neighborhoods can be easily found online.

Vancouver Centre - 112302
Neighborhoods: Downtown (minus Gastown/Eastside), West End

Vancouver University - 111278
Neighborhoods: University Endowment Lands, Musqueam Reserve No. 2, West Point Grey, Kitsilano, Fairview

Vancouver Southwest - 112854
Neighborhoods: Dunbar-Southlands, Arbutus Ridge, Shaughnessy, South Cambie, Riley Park (west of Main St), Kerrisdale, Oakridge, Marpole (west of Oak St)

Vancouver South - 110706
Neighborhoods: Marpole (east of Oak St), Sunset, Victoria-Fraserview, Killarney

Vancouver Kingsway - 114840
Neighborhoods: Renfrew-Collingwood, Kensington-Cedar Cottage, Riley Park (east of Main St)

Vancouver East - 120210
Neighborhoods: Downtown Eastside/Gastown, Strathcona, Grandview-Woodland, Hastings-Sunrise, Mount Pleasant

Though if current population trends persist, I predict that Vancouver will drop to 5.5 or 5 ridings in the 2030s? Revive Vancouver South - Burnaby perhaps?

So split the West Side of Vancouver on north/south rather than east/west lines?  Rather than Point Grey+Quilchena (Quadra) and Langara+Fairview (Granville) you have Point Grey+Fairview and Langara+Quilchena (more or less).

Yes absolutely! As a Vancouverite/Richmondite, it's always irked me how federal ridings were drawn in both cities. Especially because there are clear communities of interest *already codified into civic planning/community development strategies, and explicitly clear patterns of neighborhood planning.*

Ie - Fairview/Kitsilano/Point Grey are 'younger' with higher overall population densities and development, whereas Langara/Quilchena/Dunbar/Arbutus etc, are predominantly single-family detached dwellings. No sense that these two clear urban groups are bisected across two federal ridings. It's even evident from the size of polling divisions.

I'll post some links once I finish the 20-post probationary period on this forum, but the North-South divide in the City of Vancouver is sometimes forgotten!

Most people are aware of the East-West divide in Vancouver (Main Street/'million dollar line'), but the North-South differences (culturally, economically etc), date back to pre-1929 amalgamation in Vancouver, where the city of Vancouver existed above West 16th st, and the former cities of Point Grey and South Vancouver, predominantly were below it.

I'd argue that West 16th St, (and W King Edward St to an extent), are clear markers of a North-South Divide in Vancouver, and the current Quadra+Granville configuration makes very little sense. Hoping the commission makes this correction during this redistribution cycle!
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 02:09:06 PM »

My website finally broke 10,000 views!  And only half of them are from me!

Now with new alternatives in Belleville and Halton Region.

It's a great site! Definitely agree with many of the choices you made, and would be surprised if the commissions deviate greatly from what you proposed Cheesy
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 02:40:05 PM »

Would the Tories have a shot with a federal Langara-Quilchena riding?  My guess is there would be a lot of blue patches but the Liberals would still have won the most recent elections.

A federal Langara-Quilchena type riding (aka Dunbar, Arbutus, Shaughnessy, Oakridge, Marpole), I would assume to be somewhat Conservative leaning, because those areas are predominantly zoned for single-family dwellings on large lots. Good representation of the 'high-income' neighborhoods of Vancouver that are contrasted with other neighborhoods.

Would have to crunch the numbers on stats, but demographically/neighborhood wise, it would probably be analogous to a 'BC/western' version of Toronto St Paul's or Eglinton-Lawrence. My best guess would that it would have gone CPC in 2011 and 2019, but LPC in 2015?

It's also the site of voting strength for the centre-right BC Liberals, and the municipal NPA. A strong fit for 'Red Tory - Lawyer/educated professional' candidates.
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 03:49:12 PM »

EDIT: Looks like it comes down to a question of what to do with the qathet RD. You could put it with Vancouver Island for 7 large ridings, or add it to Skeena-Bulkley Valley to get the latter within 10%. I take it a commission would be unlikely to consider the latter?

Hmmm - the main issue with electoral redistribution in Canada is that we try to achieve three objectives:

1. Keep all ridings close to the same population quotient
2. Ensure sparsely populated rural ridings are of manageable size for elected legislators
3. Keep the number of elected legislators in the chamber to a reasonable number

The challenge being, a country like Canada has densely population urban areas near the American border, and huge expanses of rural territory everywhere else --- We can only realistically expect to achieve 2/3 of these objectives, and oftentimes, keeping ridings to the same population quotient is abandoned. (I'd personally rather see Canada greatly expand the number of House of Commons seats, but that's unlikely to happen).

To complicate things further, there is a commission convention of 'collective rights' that protect ridings with concentrated indigenous populations (ex. Skeena - Bulkley Valley), and official language minority communities in certain provinces, (ex. English in Quebec, French in Ontario/Manitoba/New Brunswick/Nova Scotia). What also might be seen soon, is the extension of protected seats towards visible minority communities at large (ex. see 'Preston' in the recent Nova Scotia provincial redistribution).

Regarding 'Qathet RD,' it would make sense for it to be added to Skeena-Bulkley Valley to bring it closer to population equity. However, both Qathet RD and the Sunshine Coast RD, (which collectively create the 'Sunshine Coast'), are not accessible by outside road from the BC interior/north, and can only be accessed through ferry from West Vancouver and/or Vancouver Island.

Another challenge is that Skeena - Bulkley Valley is already incredibly difficult to represent, due to numerous remote fly-in communities, and the lack of transportation infrastructure for an elected MP to be accessible (aside from videoconferencing).

My gut feeling would be to put Quathet RD/Powell River, back in the North Island district, and allow Skeena-Bulkley Valley to remain below quotient, considering high population growth on the North Shore/Sunshine Coast. However, this might have unintended consequences on Vancouver Island - it would be unfortunate if the Courtenay-Comox community of interest was split again, like it was in the 2012 redistribution.

FYI, a BC that is allotted 43-45 ridings is much easier to split up across communities of interest Wink

Qathet RD, Powell River, Mt Waddington RD, Strathcona RD, Comox Valley RD, Courtenay and Comox is a little over 150000 people, so unfortunately that means you can't really avoid splitting Courtenay from Comox.
[/quote]

Ah that's a shame / I definitely remember reading there was a tussle over Powell River being added to a Vancouver Island riding, and separating it from the rest of the Sunshine Coast.

Perhaps the least disruptive would be to add Qathet RD to Skeena Bulkley Valley, or split Courtenay + Comox? I'm assuming the North/West Vancouver ridings are already pushing the population boundaries.
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 12:52:42 PM »

Would the Tories have a shot with a federal Langara-Quilchena riding?  My guess is there would be a lot of blue patches but the Liberals would still have won the most recent elections.

A federal Langara-Quilchena type riding (aka Dunbar, Arbutus, Shaughnessy, Oakridge, Marpole), I would assume to be somewhat Conservative leaning, because those areas are predominantly zoned for single-family dwellings on large lots. Good representation of the 'high-income' neighborhoods of Vancouver that are contrasted with other neighborhoods.

Would have to crunch the numbers on stats, but demographically/neighborhood wise, it would probably be analogous to a 'BC/western' version of Toronto St Paul's or Eglinton-Lawrence. My best guess would that it would have gone CPC in 2011 and 2019, but LPC in 2015?

It's also the site of voting strength for the centre-right BC Liberals, and the municipal NPA. A strong fit for 'Red Tory - Lawyer/educated professional' candidates.

2019 has JWR factor though. 

Hmmm true - could be wrong, but I'd still be rather confident saying that the conservatives would win a hypothetical Vancouver Southwest (Quilchena/Langara) from eyeballing the poll shapefiles on election atlas.

JWR's voting strength was always North of 16th avenue, and I'd assume she'd run against Joyce Murray in the Point Grey - Fairview riding. Funnily enough, Joyce Murray replaced JWR in cabinet when the latter was expelled by Trudeau.
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2022, 12:49:05 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2022, 06:09:23 AM by emmettmark »

Celebrating the half-way point before I'll be able to post links/screenshots of maps!

Given prior discussion about changing riding borders in Calgary, and the battles over VRA congressional districts south of the border, I was wondering the feasibility of drawing a 'Chinese/Asian-Canadian influence' riding in Alberta?

Per the 2016 Census, East and Southeast Asian-Canadians comprise upwards of 400 000 Albertans / over 10% of provincial population. Yet, Alberta has never elected an MP from an East or Southeast Asian background.

2021 Census data on ethnocultural diversity won't be released until October 2022, but judging from trends, I'd only expect this community to continue growing rapidly.

Calgary Nose Hill is currently the 'most Chinese riding' outside of Greater Vancouver/GTA. It also happens to be the 'most Chinese riding' held by a Conservative MP, after surprising losses in Richmond/Markham/Richmond Hill, last federal election. Michelle Rempel Garner might want to focus on improving Chinese Canadian outreach Wink

Examining the three ridings of Northwest Calgary, it's clear there's a concentrated ethnic community of interest:

2016 Census - Chinese-Canadian Population / Total Population / Chinese Percentage

Calgary Nose Hill (Michelle Rempel Garner) - 24,180 / 115,795 / 20.8%
Calgary Rocky Ridge (Pat Kelly) - 14,495 / 131,823 / 11.0%
Calgary Confederation (Len Webber) -  9,460 / 122,023 / 7.8%

Given rapid community growth/continued immigration, I wonder the feasibility to create a contiguous 35-40% Chinese Canadian riding in Northwest Calgary, once data from the 2021 Census is released? Calgary went from having a 74k Chinese Canadian population in 2011, to 102k in 2016, (an increase of nearly 40% in only 5 years!)

Krago and Laddicus Finch both shared maps that saw Nose Hill take-in territory South and West of current constituency boundaries, as well as the creation of a hyper-conservative Northern Calgary/Country Hills riding. Assuming Michelle Rempel Garner moves to the new Northern Calgary riding, that might create an opening for a Chinese-Canadian MP in an even more-'Chinese influenced' Nose Hill riding?

Another speculation - who runs for the hypothetical 'Chinese influence' riding in Northwest Calgary? Josephine Pon (Calgary-Beddington MLA)? Teresa Woo-Paw (former Calgary-Northern Hills MLA)? God forbid, Sean Chu (Calgary City Councilor Ward 4)?
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 11:17:12 AM »

Ironically, Alberta was ahead of the game in electing a Chinese-Canadian MLA--and for the Socreds in 1971, of all things

Definitely - and it would be years until BC (1996), or Ontario (1987) elected their first East Asian - Canadian MLAs/MPPs. I 'did' look up the historic location of the Calgary-McCall riding, and it looks like it covers the same territory as modern-day federal Calgary Skyview, so not the assumed 'Chinese Canadian enclave'
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2022, 11:18:28 AM »

You can create you own thematic maps of Calgary using 2016 Census data.

Oooh fun! Thanks - playing with this now Cheesy
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2022, 11:22:58 AM »

Introducing Calgary-Country Hills. It's close to as Chinese as you can get, probably around 25-30%. I had to keep the population down to a minimum (89,448).

Provincially, it looks like the Chinese population is much more conservative than the rest of North Calgary. 

Looking good 😎 - the shape certainly reminds me of many VRA House Congressional districts, south of the border. We shall see what the 2021 census has to say about ethnic diversity, when that data is released!
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 08:54:54 PM »

The only provincial Commission showing any signs of life right now is the Manitoban one. They just published their pre-proposal comments on their website. There are 14 in total. Not surprisingly, 5 are from MPs and want keep the status quo ( although Ted Falk wants Springfield in Transcona.) A suspiciously named Cindy Lamoureux wants all of Amber Heights in Winnipeg North. The city councillor for Tuxedo wants it all in Charleswood. The reeve for Rosser suggest moving to Kildonan-St. Paul.

Unfortunate there wasn't more engagement; 3/12 comments were even submitted after the commission imposed deadline of April 4!

I reached out to the BC Commission and they're only receiving written comments once their initial proposal is published ☹️

All in all, surprised that Manitoban Conservative MPs are advocating for the Churchill-Keewatinook-Aski riding be given special consideration, and remain below quotient. If that riding is required to be within the commission imposed +/-5% quotient principle, one would assume it takes in (strongly conservative) territory to the immediate south.

Perhaps this is a case of national party objectives being overridden by desires of individual legislators, (keep familiar constituents/communities/partisan strength)? Similar to how Republican House Congressional gerrymanders fell short in Indiana and Kentucky, because individual Republican legislators intervened out of personal interest?
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2022, 03:32:38 PM »

Nova Scotia maps just dropped! Interesting choices of names - any locals/Atlantic Canadians have any thoughts?
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2022, 09:47:13 PM »

Nova Scotia maps just dropped! Interesting choices of names - any locals/Atlantic Canadians have any thoughts?

First impressions:

Very pleased they are dropping those stupid ______ Nova names.

Sydney-Victoria looks undersized.

Yes - I was surprised at how far below quotient (-17.89%!) Sydney-Victoria was permitted to be.

Hmmm - 'Nova names' would cut down on character count Wink

Acadian Shore—Shelburne   -- > West Nova
Cumberland—Colchester -- > North Nova
Pictou—Eastern Shore—Preston   -- > Central Nova
South Shore—St. Margarets -- > South Nova

Though, this implies the existence of 'East Nova' haha
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2022, 12:06:54 PM »

As a BC Resident, I am cringing at the current proposal.
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2022, 12:14:19 PM »

https://redecoupage-redistribution-2022.ca/com/bc/prop/index_e.aspx

Once I regather my composure, I will be creating a lengthy response - these boundaries looks like someone drew lines on a map while blindfolded.
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2022, 04:48:55 PM »

[/quote]

Analysis and Data: http://shorturl.at/lnwF3

The Federal Electoral Boundaries Commission needs to put in a lot of work into amending/changing their initial proposal, as I cannot fathom how they decided to draw Greater Vancouver with such disregard for existing municipal boundaries and communities of interest. Municipalities and communities are 'cracked' across numerous ridings beyond belief.

After crunching some numbers, it's apparent that the average number of (full or part) municipalities per Greater Vancouver riding, rises from approx. 1.52 to 2.19, compelling MPs to coordinate with a far greater number of municipal governments than now.

The most egregious examples include Pitt Meadows - Fort Langley, (Pitt Meadows - Maple Ridge successor), which, while still including Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge, now also includes parts of Surrey, Langley Township, and Port Coquitlam. Richmond East (Formerly Steveston - Richmond East), which had previously been entirely contained within the City of Richmond, now takes in parts of New Westminster and crosses the Fraser to pick up territory in Delta.

Additionally, the number of MPs per (full or part) Greater Vancouver municipality goes up dramatically, from approx. 1.8, to nearly 3. This will compel the average municipal government to coordinate with a greater number of MPs.

Intensive examples of this include Burnaby (going from 3 MPs to 6), Delta (going from 1 MP to 3), and Surrey (going from 5 MPs to 7), which all contain numerous ridings that straddle municipal boundaries, and will greatly complicate federal-municipal cohesion.

emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2022, 05:45:52 PM »

They don't seem to mind crossing river. It's often a natural barrier but I don't know Vancouver; maybe there is some community of interest. New Westminster-Bridgeview crosses the river but the south side looks more industrial. Same with the proposed Richmond East that has a bit south of the Fraser river.

Pitt Meadows-Fort Langley is drawn to cross two rivers in two different directions.

Burnaby North-Seymour separated by Burrard Inlet still exists.

Hahaha, as a lifelong Vancouverite and British Columbian, crossing the river should only be a last resort for electoral redistribution in Greater Vancouver (a la Burnaby North Seymour); the fact that this has been done in four different ridings, is shocking and hopefully will be thrown out.

Only two of the four aforementioned ridings (New Westminster Bridgeview and Richmond East), have a bridge within the riding. One must straddle the boundary of 'Pitt Meadows - Fort Langley' to travel from the Port Coquitlam portion to the rest of the riding.

The truly terrible riding, which came into existence after the last redistribution and is still around, is 'Burnaby North - Seymour,' which requires constituents to exit the constituency to travel between the North Burnaby and North Vancouver/Seymour areas.
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2022, 09:55:55 PM »

I am seriously wondering what the BC Electoral Boundaries commission was thinking. There were so many irrational choices and splitting of communities of interest/municipalities, it's almost as if this map proposal was purposefully designed to compel public outrage.

What's even worse, is that 2/3 commissioners, Ken Carty and Stewart Ladyman, served on prior BC federal boundary commissions, (in 2002 and 2012 respectively), and should recall public feedback sessions.
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2022, 10:50:13 PM »

FWIW as I recall from the last redistribution, the final maps were often very different from the initial proposal by the commission. You can be sure that there will be very raucous public meetings in BC and lots of lobbying for changes to these maps

I very much hope so - I had hoped that this cycle would have been an opportunity to change 'frankenstein' ridings with no coherent/central community of interest, like Burnaby North - Seymour, Mission - Matsqui - Fraser Canyon, and Vancouver Granville.

Unfortunately, it appears that plenty of time will be spent trying to correct fundamental errors that never should have occurred in the first place!
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »

I made a better map of BC last night. It seemed to get a lot of good comments on Twitter. What do you think?

It's big drawback is the Skeena-Bulkley Valley-Powell River riding. But by creating it, I was able to nuke the Burnaby North-Seymour riding and make the Van Island ridings smaller.

This is immeasurably better than whatever the commission initially proposed! I also like Krago's map, or literally, anything that doesn't resemble terrible choices like Port Coquitlam - Pitt Meadows - Fort Langley!
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 11:11:04 AM »

I have completely revised my BC map.  MPs who enjoy crossing rivers (or inlets or false creeks) will be very disappointed.

bit.ly/Canada343

My 43rd riding is qathat--Sea-to-Sky Country--Fraser Canyon--Nicola--Similkameen.  I've dropped a few names for the map.

This is immeasurably better with uniting communities of interest, compared to what the commission initially proposed - Although I feel bad for the Member of Parliament who has to represent the 43rd riding, their sacrifice for far more coherent ridings in the rest of the province is well appreciated.

If you're not a BC resident, I'll be happy to support elements of this proposal in submissions to the commission?
emmettmark
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2022, 03:09:23 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2022, 03:32:58 PM by emmettmark »

Further to my prior posts about the City of Vancouver, (now I can post images/links, yay!), the distribution of Vancouver into federal ridings has always bothered me. Vancouver is very much a 'city of neighborhoods' and likewise, creates strong 'communities of interest' that should not be split unless otherwise necessary.

There are 22 neighborhoods in Vancouver which are bylaw/urban planning-determined, as well as special attention paid to the Downtown-Eastside community of interest.

Maps: https://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/neighbourhood-planning-projects.aspx

https://vanmapp1.vancouver.ca/gmaps/covmap.htm?map=csg_neighborhood_areas

Source - Pg. 50 - Vancouver City Plan, (1995),
https://guidelines.vancouver.ca/policy-plan-cityplan.pdf

The current Vancouver riding map prioritizes the use of major arterial roads to determine federal riding boundaries, which does a poor job of keeping communities of interest united.

Furthermore, ridings like Vancouver Quadra and Vancouver Granville, fail to account for the immense development/urban differences between northern and southern neighborhoods in their respective territory. Kitsilano-Fairview-University, is far more congruent than Kerrisdale-Fairview-Mount Pleasant.

I've created this map which splits only 3 neighborhoods, (2 based on East-West divides, 1 owing to population equity), which has all 6 ridings within 9% of the provincial population quotient, (116 318). and within 7% of the 'Vancouver riding' population quotient (113 698). I used naming conventions of either cardinal directions, or major arterial roads.

Logical Map of Vancouver Federal Ridings

Vancouver Centre: 107 225 (area of very high anticipated development/growth)
Vancouver Broadway: 120 145
Vancouver East: 114 774
Vancouver Southwest: 105 911
Vancouver South: 114 278
Vancouver Kingsway: 119 857

If the commission is an immense stickler for population equity as they seem to be this cycle, and insist that Vancouver does not have adequate population for 6 ridings, the logical amendment would be to move all of 'Marpole' into 'Vancouver Southwest' (new population: 119 269), pushing the 'Vancouver South' population down to 100 920.

I would assume 'Vancouver South' would take a part of Burnaby to meet population requirements - the last time a Vancouver riding bled into another municipality, was the 1995 Redistribution, which saw the creation of Vancouver South - Burnaby between 1997 - 2004.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies