hey has anyone noticed how few people are posting lately
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:05:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  hey has anyone noticed how few people are posting lately
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: hey has anyone noticed how few people are posting lately  (Read 791 times)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2021, 09:31:17 PM »

I was literally away for a solid weekend and come back to see a number of new posts I can count on my hand, like what is this, a graveyard?
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 09:33:22 PM »

I was literally away for a solid weekend and come back to see a number of new posts I can count on my hand, like what is this, a graveyard?

Many people have lost their faith in this game, and I for one, am prepared to bring it back.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 09:35:57 PM »

Many people have lost their faith in this game, and I for one, am prepared to bring it back.
What is your specific plan to bring activity back? At this point, the problem seems a bit more systemic than could be solved by a change of power.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 09:49:25 PM »

Absolutely. It feels like the LT situation has been the final straw for Federalist activity, and they've totally disengaged with the game.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 09:51:11 PM »

At least the Southern Chamber is active...for now.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 09:52:55 PM »

What is your specific plan to bring activity back? At this point, the problem seems a bit more systemic than could be solved by a change of power.

I am going to ensure that we expand NPCs, enhance the game engine by promoting current events, and helping to orient new members into Atlasia.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 09:54:59 PM »

I will lose faith in the game and support secession of Lincoln if you are elected.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 09:55:50 PM »

Absolutely. It feels like the LT situation has been the final straw for Federalist activity, and they've totally disengaged with the game.
The regional legislatures also are very inactive and the regional legislatures feel like a graveyard.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 10:03:16 PM »

I am going to ensure that we expand NPCs, enhance the game engine by promoting current events, and helping to orient new members into Atlasia.

To be frank, this situation is not going to fixed by policy. We need a serious shift in culture amongst the last 20-or-so core "active" members that are left in this game, and I don't believe that that can be legislated. I thought that the Fifth Constitution might have opened the door for some sort of change, but it appears that there has been none (in fact, I would wager that this situation has worsened since). Any legislative actions need to be backed up by an acceptance by the core members and a significant amount of buy-in and intrigue from said core members. Such has not happened yet and with the near-collapse of the Federalist party, I am doubtful that such buy-in is possible anymore, at least without a significant change in course of events for the party (and the game as a whole).   

Also, how exactly do you plan to get new members into the game? That's not exactly a simple proposition as many party leaders (including myself) can attest.

I hate to sound alarmist but I have seen this situation play out time and time again with any group of people who get together to do something (like Atlasia) -- this game is going off a cliff and no one seems to care. With no action, we will seal this game's fate. Even with action, I'm not sure much can seriously be done anymore that will actually cause a change.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 10:07:03 PM »

Spark, have you tried to recruit people into the game and try to get them active? It is a very hard task.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 10:10:32 PM »

To be frank, this situation is not going to fixed by policy. We need a serious shift in culture amongst the last 20-or-so core "active" members that are left in this game, and I don't believe that that can be legislated. I thought that the Fifth Constitution might have opened the door for some sort of change, but it appears that there has been none (in fact, I would wager that this situation has worsened since). Any legislative actions need to be backed up by an acceptance by the core members and a significant amount of buy-in and intrigue from said core members. Such has not happened yet and with the near-collapse of the Federalist party, I am doubtful that such buy-in is possible anymore, at least without a significant change in course of events for the party (and the game as a whole).   

Also, how exactly do you plan to get new members into the game? That's not exactly a simple proposition as many party leaders (including myself) can attest.

I hate to sound alarmist but I have seen this situation play out time and time again with any group of people who get together to do something (like Atlasia) -- this game is going off a cliff and no one seems to care. With no action, we will seal this game's fate. Even with action, I'm not sure much can seriously be done anymore that will actually cause a change.

Instating activity requirements via statute could be used as a last resort to ensure that everyone takes their roles seriously. However, I do believe that any additional activity is bound to be driven by new members into Atlasia.

Since we've curtailed off-site recruiting shortly preceding elections, it is a fine line. I suppose using Discord to grow our ranks organically would be an option. This site is popular and many people know about it. There have been a number of new members that have recently joined, and I hope to acquaint them with the game. Lest, if we do nothing, Atlasia will stagnate. That is the last thing that we need right now.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 10:23:25 PM »

Instating activity requirements via statute could be used as a last resort to ensure that everyone takes their roles seriously. However, I do believe that any additional activity is bound to be driven by new members into Atlasia.

Since we've curtailed off-site recruiting shortly preceding elections, it is a fine line. I suppose using Discord to grow our ranks organically would be an option. This site is popular and many people know about it. There have been a number of new members that have recently joined, and I hope to acquaint them with the game. Lest, if we do nothing, Atlasia will stagnate. That is the last thing that we need right now.
Installing activity requirements, at this point, will do nothing but turn away (the few) people from running for office. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't drown the horse and hope it makes them drink.

As Atlasia's history has demonstrated, legislating requirements cannot and will not start actual movements for change. Legislation can be used as an accompaniment to a desire for change, but such a desire must come from the hearts of the people. Out of the 19-21 (I just calculated a list that probably isn't accurate but still) core active members left, there aren't a lot who seem to want change or even acknowledge that we have a serious problem.

How exactly would you use Discord? And how would you attract such new members? The site is popular indeed, but while the forum still has regular activity, this game does not. We need specific actions to popularize this game, and actions that all (or most) of the core members would be willing to invest in. I haven't yet seen anything that would meet that standard.

I agree that doing nothing is the worst thing we can do, and I will be the first to champion any real change that lights a fire in this game, but I have failed to see (or come up with) any ideas that would do such a thing.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 06:52:48 AM »

Installing activity requirements, at this point, will do nothing but turn away (the few) people from running for office. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't drown the horse and hope it makes them drink.

As Atlasia's history has demonstrated, legislating requirements cannot and will not start actual movements for change. Legislation can be used as an accompaniment to a desire for change, but such a desire must come from the hearts of the people. Out of the 19-21 (I just calculated a list that probably isn't accurate but still) core active members left, there aren't a lot who seem to want change or even acknowledge that we have a serious problem.

How exactly would you use Discord? And how would you attract such new members? The site is popular indeed, but while the forum still has regular activity, this game does not. We need specific actions to popularize this game, and actions that all (or most) of the core members would be willing to invest in. I haven't yet seen anything that would meet that standard.

I agree that doing nothing is the worst thing we can do, and I will be the first to champion any real change that lights a fire in this game, but I have failed to see (or come up with) any ideas that would do such a thing.

We need to promote Atlasia through the Discord channels. Once new members learn about Atlasia and understand how it operates, word will get out and more members will join. The core members need to recognize the responsibility to keep the game thriving. As for legislation, I do agree that it must first come from the people. If that is a priority for Atlasians, I will not hesitate to introduce it.

Absolutely. Doing nothing perpetuates the status quo and that is something I remain firmly against as you know.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2021, 04:02:06 PM »

We need to promote Atlasia through the Discord channels. Once new members learn about Atlasia and understand how it operates, word will get out and more members will join. The core members need to recognize the responsibility to keep the game thriving. As for legislation, I do agree that it must first come from the people. If that is a priority for Atlasians, I will not hesitate to introduce it.
This is what most parties try to do.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2021, 04:12:23 PM »

This is what most parties try to do.

Well, we need to do it more often and I am open to hearing other ideas. We can lay our proposals out in the public debate on Wednesday.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 11:11:47 PM »

Can someone explain this to me? Been gone a while and am staying away from Discord atm.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 11:16:30 PM »

Can someone explain this to me? Been gone a while and am staying away from Discord atm.

LT doxxed a Laborite on Discord after managing to get hold of the Labor spreadsheet and is being prosecuted for it.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 11:21:35 PM »

LT doxxed a Laborite on Discord after managing to get hold of the Labor spreadsheet and is being prosecuted for it.
I am not guilty of that.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 11:23:35 PM »

I am not guilty of that.
I'm not saying you are LT. Just saying that's the situation which you are accused of.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 11:29:57 PM »

Is there a thread about this topic somewhere or has most of the discussion been limited to Discord? Spent a bit trying to find more information about the situation on the forum and didn't find much.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2021, 12:00:58 AM »

Is there a thread about this topic somewhere or has most of the discussion been limited to Discord? Spent a bit trying to find more information about the situation on the forum and didn't find much.

Don't think there's much about it on the forum, though there was some very ugly threads immediately post-election as Feds were slow to accept the results while Labor was very aggressively triumphant.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2021, 07:31:45 AM »

My view has always been that NPC elections are a fundamental distraction from the core of Atlasia and would have been laughed out of discussion in the old days- they serve no real purpose when the two functions of the game are

1.) legislating 2.) running campaigns relying on real voters.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2021, 01:18:26 PM »

My view has always been that NPC elections are a fundamental distraction from the core of Atlasia and would have been laughed out of discussion in the old days- they serve no real purpose when the two functions of the game are

I wonder how much voters really care about NPCs anyway. It is nice to establish that Atlasia has an existence beyond the actual users on the forum who vote and hold office, but the idea of building fictional characters doing things as a major part of a game that lives on player interaction is somewhat puzzling and does not help in the engagement department.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2021, 05:16:27 PM »

Kinda hard to do that when 90+% of voters go the same way every time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies