Supersoulty's Christian Theological Debate Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:22:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Supersoulty's Christian Theological Debate Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supersoulty's Christian Theological Debate Thread  (Read 16121 times)
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« on: January 01, 2009, 10:26:49 PM »

Christianity claims that there is heaven, eternal life (in heaven or in hell), and that one's actions in this life play a role in determining how you spend eternal life.  For example, if you embrace God's teachings, love the lord, and turn your physical body over to God's purposes (and in the process restrain the body from taking over), you will likely go to heaven.  If you just sin all day like it's your job, you will likely go to heaven.  If this is your definition of nihilism, then, ironically your definition is so broad that it has no meaning.

Put otherwise: derived value is value nonetheless.
Jeff from NC
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:26:03 PM »

This same dualism exists in the mind's interactions with all things. If I look at myself in the mirror, I do not see ego cogito, the thinking self, but rather a somewhat gangly contraption of skin and eyes and teeth. And while I understand that I am this body in the mirror, the thinking self, being somewhat detached from it all, sometimes struggles with this notion, owing to the artificial binary explained above. I consciously know that the mind is simply a byproduct of the very physical brain; but the ego rejects this explanation forthright, since it does not naturally know (without the aid of modern physiology) that it emanates from the brain. It has grown accustomed to inventing stories about itself.

Christianity's soul-atomism exacerbates this alienation; indeed, it thrives on it. Not only does Christianity teach that the thinking, willing, feeling self exists separately from the body, and that the body will be left to rot when the "dead in Christ are called up first", but it teaches that denial of the body and the body's impulses - forced asceticism - in favor of purity of thought and feeling somehow improves holiness.

How do you interpret the Christian teachings about communion?  Specifically the Roman Catholic belief that Christ is physically present in consecrated bread and wine, and that by physically consuming it, Catholics renew their faith and receive spiritual nourishment?  Or, for that matter, the doctrine that feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, etc. is a duty of every Christian because when you feed the hungry, you are really feeding Christ?  Or, for that matter, that killing, suicide, and smoking are sins, even though they hasten our worldly death?

I think these beliefs show that the belief that the material world is inferior and temporary is not to be confused with the belief that the material world has no value or meaning.  In fact, many Christians would say it has much meaning at all.  Derived, but - as I asked before - is derived value not value all the same?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies