Iowa is Rubio Country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:43:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Iowa is Rubio Country
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 62
Author Topic: Iowa is Rubio Country  (Read 207214 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: May 01, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
« edited: June 03, 2019, 09:40:03 AM by UWS »

RNC Video Bio Introduction on Marco Rubio's life and political career and accomplishments
Part 2

Narrator : Marco Rubio's political rise started in 2000 when he successfully ran for the 111th House District in the Florida House of Representatives, representing Miami. In 2005, while Speaker-Designate, he published, with the help of his colleagues in the House, a book titled 100 Innovative Ideas for Florida's Future. And 24 of these ideas became law and another 10 were partially enacted. Among the items from his 2006 book that became law were multiple-year car registrations, a requirement that high schools provide more vocational courses, and an expanded voucher-like school-choice program.

Carlos Lopez-Cantera (Lieutanant Governor of Florida and Marco Rubio's longtime friend) : Marco Rubio has proved to be a strong and effective legislator and innovator. He knows that innovation is a basic element of the preservation of the American Dream and America's social and economic progress and prosperity.

Narrator : Then Representative Rubio became Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives in 2006. During his tenure, he supported the state legislature's Black Caucus' request that the legislature apologize for slavery.

Marco Rubio : I supported this measure because such apologies can be important albeit symbolic. And even today many young African-Americans believe that the American dream is not available to them.

Narrator : During his speakership, Marco Rubio stood against big government policies, including those put in place by then Florida Governor Charlie Crist, claiming a better solution for the protection of the environment while ensuring economic growth such as the promotion of biofuel, solar panels and energy efficiency.

Narrator : Three years later, Marco Rubio ran for the Senate and one of his main opponents for the Republican nomination was none other than Charlie Crist. Once considered as an underdog in the Senate race, Marco Rubio managed to outpace Crist by seducing an important part of the conservative base who were unsatisfied of Crist's centrist and big government policies. Then he easily wins the nomination after Crist announced that he would run as an Independent. But Marco Rubio defeated Crist in a landslide and is elected as the new Florida Senator.

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #301 on: May 01, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2019, 11:59:44 PM by UWS »

RNC Video Bio Introduction on Marco Rubio's life and political career and accomplishments
Part 3

Narrator : From his first day in Washington, Marco Rubio has demonstrated to be a man of great leadership. In the United States Senate, he cosponsored the AGREE Act, a bill increased tax credits and exemptions for companies investing in R & D, equipment and other capital, gave tax credits for veterans opening a business franchise and raised immigration for some types of work visas, which helped our country to boost economic growth, job creation and innovation. In 2013, he introduced the co-sponsored the Regulation Costs to Small Businesses Act which would have required the Small Business Administration to conduct an annual study to estimate the total cost of regulations on small businesses. A year later, he successfully sponsored the 2014 VA reform law by introducing a measure empowering the VA secretary to hold managers accountable for incompetence, negligence and corruption and to care more about veterans than bureaucrats, which improved our veterans' living conditions after their military service.

Mario Rubio (military veteran and Marco Rubio's older brother) : I'm so proud of my brother Marco Rubio for his service to our country and to veterans, including me, in their post military career. He is the best man to take care of our brave men and women in uniform. Like all of us, Marco is grateful of our veterans' service for America, a strong and beautiful country.

Narrator : And in 2015, Senator Rubio succeeded in passing a bill that increased sanctions against the terrorist group of Hezbollah.

Narrator : Suddenly, in June 12 2016, America has suffered the worst terrorist attack on its turf since 9/11 when an ISIS fighter killed 49 people and wounded 53 others in Orlando, in Marco Rubio's home state of Florida. Senator Rubio came there to comfort the victims' families.

Narrator : Then he immediately took action to face the situation of a growing terrorist threat. He brought Republicans and Democrats together by introducing the Terror Intelligence Improvement Act that is aimed at keeping guns away from suspected terrorists while protecting the Second Amendment for the American people. This bill passed both houses of the Congress and is signed into law a week after the attacks.

Narrator : One month later, while freedom was being celebrated on the other side of the Atlantic, Nice suffered Orlando's fate when another terrorist who pledged allegiance to ISIS killed 86 people and injured 434.

Narrator : Just after the attacks, Marco Rubio co-sponsored the Bipartisan Counterterrorist Coalition Act that would reinforce defence ties between America and its allies, especially those in the Middle East, thus building great and powerful military coalitions to defeat terrorism. This bill is also aimed at stopping Iran from becoming a military nuclear power and threatening us and our allies by increasing sanctions against Iran unless the Iranian government decides to use local nuclear energy for economic growth not for military purposes.

Marcus Luttrell (former US Navy SEAL and author of Lone Survivor) : That's the right thing to do after tragedies like those in Orlando and Nice. We need stronger American leadership and Marco Rubio understands this. That's why I know he's the best candidate in this race to lead America and keep it safe.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #302 on: May 01, 2017, 04:52:05 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2019, 11:05:25 PM by UWS »

Part 4

Narrator : We are at a critical time in which America has to chose its leader.

Oriales Rubio (Marco Rubio's mother) : My son Marco is a charismatic man who cares about people and values every single American.

Ron DeSantis (US Representative from Florida) : He is a strong leader and he knows what it takes to fight terrorism and keep our country safe.

Ginni Rometty (CEO of IBM) : He lived the American Dream and he's a member of the U.S. Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship. He knows what it takes to grow the economy and create jobs. And that's why I know he will be the best President I've ever known in terms of job creation.

Narrator : America needs a change of direction for the sake of a New American Century. Here are all the elements of a New American Century : strength,...

Narrator : ... security,...

Narrator : ...freedom,...

Narrator : ...prosperity,...

Narrator : ... and opportunity.

These are all values defended by Marco Rubio, the next President of the United States of America and a leader who will get this great and beautiful country back on track and to a New American Century.

Marco Rubio : Like my father used to say, « in this country, you can achieve all the things we never could. » We can achieve all the dreams of the American people through stronger American leadership and stronger opportunity, liberty and justice for all.

[Applause from the RNC audience]
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #303 on: May 02, 2017, 08:57:45 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2019, 07:43:16 AM by UWS »

2016 Republican National Convention
Day 4, Part 6

Date : July 18 2016-July 21 2016

Monday, July 21–A New American Leadership
-John Thune, South Dakota Senator (introducing Marco Rubio)

My fellow Republicans, my fellow Americans. I am proud to introduce to you the next President of the United States of America, Marco Rubio.

-Marco Rubio, Florida Senator and Republican presidential nominee

Thank you. Thank you so very much.

Mr. Chairman and delegates, I accept your nomination for President of the United States of America.

[Applause]

And I do so with great honor, humility and love for our country. Tonight, I ask you to follow me in this campaign for a better future for America. By my side, I have selected a woman of great heart from a hardowrking immigrant family and who represents what makes America special, my friend and next Vice-President of the United States Nikki Haley.

[Applause]

When my parents came here from Cuba 60 years ago, they were living paycheck to paycheck, but the hardworking of a bartender and a housekeeper helped them to succeed in this new society and to raise their children.

Eight years ago, we elected a leader who doesn't believe in free market, undermined the American Dream through increasingly big government policies, divided this country and made it less safe. We will reverse this tendency and restore the American Dream.

[Applause]

I know what it takes to get America working again, to create jobs and to restore prosperity and I will  do so with my experience in the US Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship and in the US Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation.

[Applause]

I co-sponsored the AGREE Act that expanded tax credits and exemptions for businesses investing in R & D, equipment and other capital, gave tax credits for veterans starting a business franchise and contributed to an increase in mmigration for some types of work visas, which helped our country to reinforce job creation and innovation. I co-sponsored the Regulation Costs To Small Business Act which required the Small Business Administration to conduct an annual study to estimate the total cost of regulations on small business. And Nikki Haley ran businesses before entering politics, reduced the cost of doing business in South Carolina, reduced the sales tax on manufacturing equipment, which drastically reduced the local unemployment rate from 12 % to 5 %. That's why we are the right team to manage and grow this economy and create jobs for all Americans.  

Juntos, nosotros restableceremos qué hace America excepcional.

[Applause]

[Chanting USA! USA! USA!]

Taxes will be reduced for all Americans, including the middle class and poor people, which will reinforce their purchasing power and boost consumption. A great part of our economy is based on consumption.

Unlike Barack Obama, whose assault on energy industry will send energy and manufacturing jobs to China, we will, by 2030, lead America to energy independence by aking advantage of our own oil, gas and coal and by using a part of revenues from oil drilling to develop renewable energies such as solar, wind, nuclear, hydroelectricity, etc. This will also deprive terrorists and anti-American forces of revenues from America' s energy dependence.

[Applause]

We will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of tomorrow. We will facilitate it through promoting school choice, which will give a fair chance for every single child in addition of costing families, including immigrant families living paycheck to paycheck, less and producing higher outcomes compared to public education.

We will open new free trade agreements with our partners in order to make sure our country keeps its status as the strongest economic power in the world and to make us competitive in the world economy. And we will cut taxes and regulations for American manufacturing businesses to keep manufacturing jobs here in America and to create more manufacturing jobs in this country.

[Applause]

we will reduce the deficit and balance the budget through job creation, which will help us getting  budget surpluses, which a part will be invested into the development of new infrstructures, which will economically be beneficial for America by encouraging our future business owners to open their business here in America and by extending commercial activities.

By championning businesses, including small ones, and reducing the cost of doing business in America, we will contribute to further innovation, production and job creation. This will make America the best place in the world to start a business because our economic success is based on audacity, hardworking and competitiveness, not big government.

That's how we're going to restore the American Dream.

[Applause]

The Obama administration undermined our country's security and terroism raised and multiplied its attack. The State Department acknowledged that it ignored appeals for more security at its diplomatic posts in Libya in the months preceding the attacks in Benghazi. So in her tenure as Secretary of State, instead of reinforcing embassy security, my opponent Hillary Clinton has shown irresponsibility through inaction in Benghazi where 4 of our brave ambassadors were killed by radical Islamic terrorists. National security has decreased because she deleted over 30 000 emails that our foes will be able to hijack. This is not only irresponsibility, it's corruption.

In order to make America safe, we have to reverse Obama's cuts on defense budget by increasing it. Radical Islamic terrorism will be defeated throug a stronger and modernized US military, through the deployment of troops and through stronger collaborations with our allies. This will also bring freedom, democracy and security back to the Middle East through toppling Bachar al-Assad, a terrorist who slays his own people in addition of being Russia's puppet. We will give Syria back to Syrians. Through sanctions and collaboration with our allies, we will make sure Iran ne er gets nuclear weapons and rather uses its nuclear energy for economic development. By securing the Black Sea and by providing arsenal and military training to the Ukrainian army, we will help Ukraine to stop Russia's imperialist policies and to give Ukraine back to Ukrainians. With a stronger military presence and the creation of the Pacific Treaty Organization (PTO), we will stop China's expansionist policies, restore territorial integrity on the Pacific and stop North Korea 's agression. By providing intelligence and military assistance to our African allies, we will stop terrorist gangrene from expanding in Africa.

It will not only restore international security but also protect freedom of religion by allowing religious believers around the world to practice the religion of their choice without being persecuted and killed for what they believe. Freedom of religion, freedom of speech and freedom of press must beprotected here and abroad because tey are basic elements of the First Amendment of the Constitution of thr United States.

[Applause]

Like my father always said : en este pais, ustedes van a poder lograr todas las cosas que nosostros no pudimos. In this country, you will achieve all the things we never could.

[Applause]

Lo mejor está por llegor para los Estados Unidos de America. Esta es retorno del America.

America's best days are yet to come. This is America's comeback. A New American Century is coming for brighter, more prosperous, safer and happier days.

Thank you. God bless you all, God bless the United States of America.

Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #304 on: May 02, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »

This is really entertaining! Keep it up! I hope to see Clinton put up a good challenge though. Rubio was further right than many thought. (Opposing abortions for women who are raped is just one example). Would love to see Clinton turn more populist (like 2008 except a bit more left) as its likely she would have.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #305 on: May 02, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »

This is really entertaining! Keep it up! I hope to see Clinton put up a good challenge though. Rubio was further right than many thought. (Opposing abortions for women who are raped is just one example). Would love to see Clinton turn more populist (like 2008 except a bit more left) as its likely she would have.

Thanks!
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »

What's the polling like for Rubio at the moment? I assume he's definitely gotten a boost from the convention.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2017, 07:39:36 AM »

New polls

Marco Rubio, the Republican presidential nominee, got an important boost after the Republican National Convention in Cleveland. He now leads his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton by 9 percentage points with 54 % of the voting intentions over Clinton's 45 %. If the election were held today, Senator Rubio would win his home state of Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico while the polls in Minnesota show that Rubio and Clinton are in a dead heat (49 % for Rubio and 49 % for Clinton).

We have to observe how the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia could change the tendency.

General election polls

Hillary Clinton vs Marco Rubio

Marco Rubio : 54 %
Hillary Clinton : 45 %
Undecided : 1 %

Statewide opinion polls

Ohio

Marco Rubio : 53 %
Hillary Clinton : 39 %
Undecided : 8 %

Florida

Marco Rubio : 55 %
Undecided : 6 %

North Carolina

Marco Rubio : 52 %
Hillary Clinton : 40 %

Virginia

Marco Rubio : 48 %
Undecided : 7 %

Pennsylvania

Marco Rubio : 49 %
Hillary Clinton : 44 %

New Hampshire

Marco Rubio : 50 %
Undecided : 5 %

Michigan

Undecided : 4 %

Wisconsin

Hillary Clinton : 42 %
Undecided : 9 %

Minnesota

Hillary Clinton : 49 %
Undecided : 2 %

Iowa

Marco Rubio : 51 %
Hillary Clinton : 41 %

Colorado

Nevada

New Mexico

Marco Rubio : 48 %

Electoral College map

Marco Rubio : 324 great electors
Hillary Clinton : 186 great electors
Toss-ups : 28 great electors
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2017, 01:47:09 PM »

*Atlas-blue Minnesota*

Yes please
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #309 on: May 04, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2017, 04:04:33 PM by Admiral President »

Looks like Marco's on his way to a landslide!

How long until he breaks into other solid-atlas-red states, such as New Jersey, Connecticut, etc.? If he's well in the lead in Michigan, PA, and Wisconsin, then those other states should be shifting soon.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #310 on: May 07, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2019, 01:13:20 AM by UWS »

On the campaign trail

New endorsements

After officially becoming the Republican presidential nominee, Marco Rubio is endorsed by the National Rifle Association (NRA) for his opposition to stricter gun control.

Among Rubio's new endorsements are former Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown and businesswoman Mindy Finn.

The Bipartisan Counterterrorist Coalition Act passes the Senate

Senator Marco Rubio's co-sponsored Bipartisan Counterterrorist Coalition Act passed in the Senate on July 22 with 73 YES votes, 21 NO votes and 6 abstentions.

This bill would reinforce defence ties with Turkey, Iraq, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India in order to create a greater collaboration with these countries to fight terrorism in the Middle East through military strength. It is also aimed deterring Iran from getting nuclear weapons by increasing sanctions against Iran unless Tehran uses its nuclear energy not for military purposes but for economic purposes. Nuclear energy should be used for Iran's economic growth.

The vote at the House of Representatives is set on July 29.

Marco Rubio is making progress among Bernie Sanders' supporters

While Hillary Clinton seems unable to achieve unanimity among Bernie Sanders' former supporters due to her ties with Wall Street, her past support to free trade and to the Iraq War and past opposition to gay-marriage, her Republican opponent Marco Rubio managed to make progress among this group.

In fact, Rubio's call to boost America's manufacturing industry by cutting taxes and regulations on manufacturing industries and manufacturing businesses to keep manufacturing jobs in America and create new ones here while promoting free trade helped the Florida Senator to attract some Sanders' former supporters who saw in the Republican nominee's plan a good deal and a perfect compromise.

In addition, some of Sanders' former supporters who are, just like the Vermont Senator, against gun control while Hillary Clinton supports such measure decided to support Marco Rubio over Clinton because of Rubio's opposition to gun control.

A recent poll released this week showed that 27 % of Sanders' supporters would vote for Marco Rubio while 57 % of this group would vote for Hillary Clinton and 16 % of them are still undecided.

Massive shooting in Munich, Germany

On July 23, an 18-year old Iranian-German named David Sonboly committed a massive shooting at Munich's McDonald's and at Olympia shopping mall, killing 8 people (most of them are Turkish) and wounding 36 other before being killed by Munich's police.

Munich police chief, Hubertus Andrä said that Sonboly had an obsession with mass shooters, including the perpetrator of the Winnenden school shooting; he compiled a scrapbook of news clippings on mass shootings and owned several books on the matter. Sonboly received shooting lessons from his father in Iran in 2015.

One of Sonboly's classmates said that Sonboly had changed his profile picture on the messaging service WhatsApp to a photo of Norwegian terrorist Anders Behring Breivik. Der Spiegel reported that according to fellow online video game players, Sonboly posted "Turkey=ISIS" in a message in 2015 and that he had expressed admiration for Germany's right-wing AfD party, and that he was "very nationalistic," repeatedly uttering anti-Turkish abuse. The Local claimed that "those who knew him" said he considered himself part of the Aryan race, while The Guardian cited accounts from Sonboly's acquaintances who said he boasted about sharing the same birthday as Adolf Hitler and called it an "accolade".

Hillary Clinton selects Tim Kaine as her running mate

Yesterday on July 23, Hillary Clinton, the Democratic presidential nominee, selected Virginia Senator Tim Kaine as her running mate.

Clinton hopes that Kaine's fluency in Spanish will help her to counter Marco Rubio's edge among Hispanics, a critical slice of the electorate in the battle for the White House. She also hopes that this selection will reinforce the experience card since Kaine was Mayor of Richmond, the Lieutanant-Governor of Virginia and Governor of Virginia before becoming Senator. While this selection increased Hillary Clinton's chances to win the battle-ground state of Virginia, it could also hurt her among hard-core progressive voters due to Kaine's past opposition to abortion as Governor and to his support to free trade.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #311 on: May 08, 2017, 10:25:14 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2018, 04:21:59 PM by UWS »

Marco Rubio's campaign schedule

July 22, 2016
-Flight to Washington D.C.
-Senate duties in Washington D.C.
-Senator Rubio votes in favor of his co-sponsored Bipartisan Counterterrorist Coalition Act

July 23, 2016

July 24, 2016
-Flight to Charlotte, North Carolina
-Speech in reaction to the terrorist attack in Munich, Germany :
This attack in Munich, like all the other terrorist attacks we witnessed around the world over the last few months, demonstrated that we need to stay vigilent against terrorism and extremism. That is the path I will follow at the Oval Office to reinforce America's security and defeat terrorism.

-Energy policy speech at Duke Energy headquarters in Charlotte, NC
-Foreign policy speech at the Carolinas Aviation Museum in Charlotte, NC
-Speech at the Harvey B. Gantt Center for African American Arts + Culture in Charlotte, NC, in an effort to attract African American voters
-Bus trip to Greensboro, NC
-Barnstorm in Greensboro, NC

July 25, 2016
-Bus trip to Durham, NC
-Meet with college voters at Duke University in Durham, NC
-Rally at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, NC
-Bus trip to Raleigh, NC
-Economic policy speech in Raleigh, NC
-Foreign policy speech at Memorial Bell Tower in Raleigh, NC
-Rally at the PNC Arena in Raleigh, NC

July 26, 2016
-Flight to Des Moines, Iowa
-Economic policy speech in Des Moines, IA
-Agriculture policy speech in Des Moines, IA
-Foreign policy speech in Des Moines, IA
-Energy policy speech in Des Moines, IA
-Bus trip to West Des Moines, IA
-Barnstorm in West Des Moines, IA

July 27, 2016
-Bus trip to Newton, IA
-Barnstorm in Newton, IA
-Bus trip to Pella, IA
-Manufacturing and agriculture policy speech at Vermeer Company headquarters in Pella, IA
-Economic policy speech at Pella Corporation in Pella, IA
-Barnstorm in Knoxville, IA
-Bus trip to Indianola, IA
-Barnstorm in Indianola, IA

July 28, 2016
-Bus trip to Winterest, IA
-Barnstorm in Winterest, IA
-Bus trip to Waukee, IA
-Barnstorm in Waukee, IA
-Barnstorm in Adel, IA
-Agriculture policy speech at Stine Seed headquarters in Adel, IA
-Bus trip to Boone, IA
-Barnstorm to Boone, IA
-Flight to Las Vegas, Nevada
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #312 on: May 13, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2017, 07:15:38 AM by UWS »

New polls

After selecting Virginia Senator Tim Kaine as her running mate, Hillary Clinton, the Democratic presidential nominee, took the lead in Virginia. She also got a boost form the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, increasing her poll standing by two percntage points. But this boost does not seem to be enough to catch Marco Rubio who still leads her 52 % of the voting intentions over Clinton's 47 %

General election polls

Hillary Clinton : 47 %
Undecided : 1 %

Statewide opinion polls

Ohio

Florida

North Carolina

Hillary Clinton : 43 %

Virginia

Hillary Clinton : 50 %
Marco Rubio : 44 %

Pennsylvania

Marco Rubio : 45 %

New Hampshire

Hillary Clinton : 48 %
Marco Rubio : 47 %

Michigan

Hillary Clinton : 46 %

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Hillary Clinton : 51 %
Marco Rubio : 46 %
Undecided : 3 %

Iowa

Colorado

Nevada

New Mexico

Hillary Clinton : 48 %

Electoral College map

Marco Rubio : 284 great electors
Hillary Clinton : 209 great electors
Toss-ups : 45 great electors
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #313 on: May 17, 2017, 10:23:46 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2019, 08:13:39 AM by UWS »

On the campaign trail

New endorsements

Due to Marco Rubio's pledge to cut taxes on America's manufacturing industry to reinforce it while promoting free trade, the Republican presidential nominee received an endorsement from Ross Perot, former presidential candidate in 1992 and 1996. He'a also endorsed by retired general Tommy Franks. Business magnate Sheldon Adelson announced his endorsement to the Florida Senator during a rally in New York City.

On her side, after she officially became the Democratic presidential nominee, Hillary Clinton got Planned Parenthood's endorsement due to her support to abortion. She's also endorsed by business magnate Warren Buffett.

The Democratic National Convention

From July 25 to July 28, the Democrats joined together at the Democratic National Convention held at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during which Hillary Clinton officially becomes the Democratic presidential nominee.

The main speakers were New Jersey Senator Cory Booker (the Keynote Speaker), Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, Massachusetts Congressman Joe Kennedy III, Vermont Senator and runner-up from the Democratic presidential primaries Bernie Sanders, former President Jimmy Carter, New York Senator Chuck Schumer, former President Bill Clinton (husband of Hillary Clinton), Vice-President Joe Biden, President Barack Obama, Chelsea Clinton (daughter of Hillary Clinton) and Virginia Senator Tim Kaine (the Democratic Vice-Presidential nominee).

They all underligned the Obama Administration's accomplishment such as a reduction of the unemployment rate since the last eight years at the beginning of which they called « the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression ». They also reminded the restoration of health care due to the adoption of Obamacare and they praised Obama's accomplishment of contributing to the death of Osama Bin Laden. They boasted Hillary Clinton's political experience and accomplishments, which, they said, make her the most qualified to be President of the United States.

During her acceptance speech, Hillary Clinton promised to get America to energy independence by investing in renewable energies, to make sure that all Americans, including rich people, pay their fair share, to withdraw from what she called « bad trade deals », to make education accessible to all Americans. Clinton claimed that she wants to defend the Second Amendment and constitutional rights but simply doesn't want American lives to be put in danger. On foreign policy, Clinton pledged to use « smart foreign policy » in which she would reinforce collaborations with America's allies, reinforce sanctions on Iran if it ever cheats on it's nuclear energy, arm the Syrian rebellion to fight ISIS and topple Bachar al-Assad and strengthen air operations against ISIS.

The Bipartisan Counterterrorist Coalition Act passed at the House of Representatives and is signed into law

On July 29, two weeks after the terrorist attack in Nice, France, the House of Representatives votes on Senators Marco Rubio's (Rep.-Florida) and Mark Warner's (Dem.-Virginia) co-sponsored Bipartisan Counterterrorist Coalition Act that would reinforce defense ties between the United States, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and the United Arab Emirates in order to fight terrorism in the Middle East through military strength and to stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons by increasing pressure on Tehran and making sure Iran uses its nuclear energy to ensure economic growth instead of developping nuclear weapons to trigger a devastating and catastrophic war.

After passing the Senate last week, the bill easily passed in the House of Representatives with 322 YES votes, 95 NO votes and 18 abstentions, thus making this bill signed into law by President Obama.

American airstrikes against ISIS in Sirte, Libya

On August 1, the United States orchestrated airstrikes against ISIS in Sirte, Libya. The goal of these raids were to bombard zones controlled by terrorists and to support a military offensive launched by the military forces of a pro-government coalition in favor of Fayez al-Sarraj.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »

Very interesting so far. Can't wait for the debates! Cheesy
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #315 on: May 20, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »

Very interesting so far. Can't wait for the debates! Cheesy

Thanks! Smiley
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »

Marco Rubio's campaign schedule

July 29, 2016

July 30, 2016

July 31, 2016
-Flight to Denver, Colorado
-Rally with voters in Denver, Colorado :
We saw in Philadelphia that the Democrats led by Hillary Clinton are suggesting more of the same. And more of the same means further weak economic growth, growing terrorist threat, corruption and national division. We will bring change through free market solutions, reforms in healthcare, education and immigration systems, stronger military and stronger alliances and dignity in the White House.

August 1, 2016
-Meet with voters in Thornton, Colorado
-Economic policy speech at Sears facility in Thornton, Colorado
-Meet with voters in Westminster, Colorado
-Meet with voters in Centennial, Colorado
-Meet with college voters at Jones International University in Centennial, Colorado

August 2, 2016
-Meet with voters in Longmont, Colorado
-Meet with voters in Berthoud, Colorado
-Meet with voters in Estes Park, Colorado

August 3, 2016
-Flight to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
-Energy policy speech in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
-Foreign policy speech in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in reaction to the recent American airstrikes in Sirte, Libya :

I am proud of the progress we just made in Libya. But there is still much work to do to defeat radical Islamic terrorism. I will accomplish this work as President of the United States. And thanks to the passage of my co-sponsored Bipartisan Counterterrorist Coalition Act in both Houses of the Congress and its signature into law, we and our allies will combine our forces and our arsenals to defeat terrorism all around the world for the sake of international security, freedom, democracy, justice and integrity.

August 4, 2016
-Meet with voters in Moon Township, Pennsylvania
-Meet with voters in Washington, Pennsylvania
-Meet with voters in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania

August 5, 2016
-Flight to Nashua, New Hampshire
-Meet with voters in Manchester, New Hampshire
-Economic policy speech at the Nashuia Corporation in Nashua, New Hampshire
-Meet with college voters at Daniel Webster College in Nashua, New Hampshire
-Town hall meeting in Nashua, New Hampshire
-Speech at the Hunt Memorial Library in Nashua, New Hampshire
-Meet with voters in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
-Meet with voters in Seabrook, New Hampshire
-Energy policy speech at the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant in Seabrook, New Hampshire

August 6, 2016
-Meet with voters in Hooksett, New Hampshire
-Fundraising event in Hooksett, New Hampshire
-Economic policy speech at Robie's Country Store in Hooksett, New Hampshire
-Speech at Pinkerton Academy in Derry, New Hampshire
-Bus trip to Concord, New Hampshire
-Speech at Eagle Square in Concord, New Hampshire
-Meet with college voters at Franklin Pierce University in Concord, New Hampshire

August 7, 2016
-Flight to Madison, Wisconsin
-Economic policy speech at Spectrum Brands headquarters in Madison, Wisconsin
-Energy policy speech at Alliant Energy headquarters in Madison, Wisconsin
-Meet with college voters at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in Madison, Wisconsin
-Dinner with the voters at the Glass Nickel Pizza in Madison, Wisconsin
-Foreign policy speech at the Wisconsin Air National Guard in Madison, Wisconsin

August 8, 2016
-Advertisement filming in Madison, Wisconsin
-Barnstorm in Baraboo, Wisconsin
-Manufacturing and economic policy speech in Baraboo, Wisconsin
-Fundraising event in Baraboo, Wisconsin
-Speech at the AI. Ringling Theatre in Baraboo, Wisconsin
-Economic policy speech at Regal Beloit headquarters in Beloit, Wisconsin
-Energy policy speech at Mesto facility in Beloit, Wisconsin
-Innovation and manufacturing policy speech ahead of college voters at Blackhawk Technical College in Beloit, Wisconsin
-Fundraising event at Angel Museum in Beloit, Wisconsin

August 9, 2016
-Education policy speech in Beloit, Wisconsin
-Visits the Hispanic and African-American neighborhoods in Beloit, Wisconsin, in an effort to win these local minority votes
-Bus trip to Janesville, Wisconsin
-Agriculture policy speech at Blain's Farm and Fleet headquarters in Janesville, Wisconsin
-Education policy speech at the Parker Pen Company facility in Janesville, Wisconsin
-Economic policy speech at Janesville Assembly Plant in Janesville, Wisconsin
-Speech ahead of students at Joseph A. Craig High School in Janesville, Wisconsin
-Town hall meeting at George S. Parker High School in Janesville, Wisconsin

August 10, 2016
-Flight to Tallahassee, Florida
-Immigration policy speech in Tallahassee, Florida
-Free trade policy speech in Tallahassee, Florida
-Economic policy speech in Tallahassee, Florida
-Foreign policy speech in Tampa, Florida
-Education policy speech in Tampa, Florida

August 11, 2016
-Fundraising event in Miami, Florida
-Counterterrorist policy speech in Miami, Florida
-Economic policy speech in Miami, Florida
-Barnstorm in Orlando, Florida

Nikki Haley's campaign schedule
July 29-August 11, 2016
-Campaign in Michigan, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Colorado and New Mexico
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2017, 04:56:08 PM »

I can't see Bernie backers buying Rubio's mainline conservative views masquerading as economic populism, but that is just me.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2017, 08:46:49 AM by UWS »

New polls

General election polls

Hillary Clinton : 46 %

Statewide opinion polls

Ohio

Florida

North Carolina

Virginia

Pennsylvania

New Hampshire

Michigan

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Iowa

Colorado

Nevada

New Mexico

Electoral College map

Marco Rubio : 284 great electors
Hillary Clinton : 216 great electors
Toss-ups : 38 great electors
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2017, 11:34:04 PM »

Why is Rubio doing so poorly in VA?
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2017, 08:32:46 AM »

Because of Tim Kaine. Though it's true that in OTL, despite Kaine's presence in the Democratic ticket, Clinton won Virginia by only 4 percentage points so I will modify the poll in Virginia.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #321 on: May 22, 2017, 12:31:48 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2019, 08:15:11 AM by UWS »

On the campaign trail

New endorsements

This week, Senator Rubio is endorsed by the Koch Brothers due to his economic agenda that promotes free market as well as America's energy independence thorugh increased oïl drilling.

Here is the most important endorsement that Senator Rubio got this week : businessman and former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Even though he changed political allegiance in the last decade (from Republican to Democrat and to Independent), he supports the PATRIOT Act, the War on Terror, tax cuts, free trade and immigration reform and that's he cited all of these positions as the reason why he supports Marco Rubio.

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, who despite being a Republican endorsed Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012, remains undecided between supporting Marco Rubio or Hillary Clinton due to his support to abortion while, on the other hand, he advocates a hawkish foreign policy.

The 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro opened

On August 5, all the Olympic teams of every country in the world assisted at the opening of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games at the Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. As usual, every country made a parade with their teams at the alphabetical order. The Olympic Games will be held from August 5 to August 21 2016.

Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff impeached

Yesterday, on August 31, Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff is impeached. For more than 12 months into her second four-year term, she was charged with criminal administrative misconduct and disregard for the federal budget in violation of article 85, items V and VI of the Brazilian Constitution and the Fiscal Responsibility Law, article 36.

The petition also accused Rousseff of criminal responsibility for failing to act on the scandal at Brazilian national petroleum company Petrobras, allegations uncovered by the Operation Car Wash investigation, and failing to distance herself from the suspects. Rousseff was president of the Petrobras board of directors during the time frame covered by the investigation, and approved Petrobras' controversial acquisition of Pasadena Refining System. However, the Petrobras charges were not included in the impeachment because Prosecutor-General Rodrigo Janot successfully argued that a sitting president cannot be investigated while in office for acts prior to election.

On 31 August 2016, the Senate removed President Rousseff from office by a 61–20 vote, finding her guilty of breaking Brazil's budget laws. Vice-president Michel Temer replaced her, becoming the 37th President of Brazil.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #322 on: May 31, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »

I could see Powell endorsing Rubio over Hillary in this scenario.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #323 on: June 01, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2017, 08:25:35 AM by UWS »

Marco Rubio's campaign schedule, Part 1

August 12, 2016

August 13, 2016

August 14, 2016

August 15, 2016
-Flight to Greensboro, North Carolina
-Meet with college voters at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in Greensboro, North Carolina
-Fundraising event at Weatherspoon Art Museum in Greensboro, North Carolina
-Rally with voters at Yadkin Bank Park in Greensboro, North Carolina
-Foreign policy speech at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park in Greensboro, North Carolina

August 16-17, 2016
-Barnstorm in Durham and Raleigh, North Carolina

August 18, 2016
-Flight to Las Vegas, Nevada
-Fundraising event at the Venetian Resort Hotel Casino with Sheldon Adelson in Las Vegas, Nevada
-Immigration policy speech in Las Vegas, NV
-Economic policy speech in Las Vegas, NV
-Meet with voters in Mount Charleston, NV
-Meet with voters in Searchlight, NV

August 19, 2016
-Barnstorm in Sunrise Manner, NV
-Barnstorm in Reno, NV
-Meet with college voters at the University of Nevada in Reno, NV, for a speech about the American Dream in an effort to attract Millennial voters :

We are living in a time of uncertainty in a time we are witnessing the slowest economic growth ever in American history. And Millennials and younger generations are among the main victims of this economic sluggish.

In 2015, Millennials in New York City were reported as earning 20% less than the generation before them, as a result of entering the workforce during the Great Recession. Despite higher college attendance rates than Generation X, many were stuck in low-paid jobs, with the percentage of degree-educated young adults working in low-wage industries rising from 23% to 33% between 2000 and 2014.

Millennials have benefited the least from the economic recovery following the Great Recession as average incomes for this generation have fallen at twice the general adult population's total drop and are likely to be on a path toward lower incomes for at least another decade. Three and a half years after the worst recession since the Great Depression, the earnings and employment gap between those in the under-35 population and their parents and grandparents threatens to unravel the American dream of each generation doing better than the last. The nation's younger workers have benefited least from an economic recovery that has been the most uneven in recent history.

That's why we need to reduce taxes for all the American people, including for young generations, to reform our education system through school choice and, especially for those studying business, to cut taxes and regulations on businesses and to reduce the cost of doing business in America, which will give Millennials a fair chance to find good-paying jobs, to prosper, to raise a family and to live the American Dream. Otherwise, they will inherit a lifetime of debt.

The story of the American Dream is not my story alone. It is our story. We are all but a generation or two removed who made our futures the purpose of their lives. Whether we remain a special country will depend on whether that journey is still possible for those trying to make it now. That is why this election is not just about what laws we will pass. It is a generational choice about what kind of country we will be. It is a choice Americans before us were also called to make. At the turn of the 19th century, industrialization was transforming the world, but that generation of Americans left yesterday behind, harnessed the power of the industrial age, and the 20th century became the American Century.

At midpoint of the 20th century, Americans feared they were falling behind the Soviet Union in space and on the global stage, but that generation turned the page on the past and pursued a New Frontier.

Now our own generation as well as Millennials must choose what kind of country we want to be in this new century. Globalization and massive technological change present us with both great challenges and great opportunities. Like those before us, we must either embrace the future or be left behind by it. Our children will be either the first generation of Americans to inherit a diminished country or they will be the freest and most prosperous generation ever.

Americans not yet born will write the final verdict on our generation. Let them record that we made the right choice. Let them record that in the early years of this century, faced with a rapidly changing and uncertain world, our generation rose to face the great challenges of our time.

That's why I'm asking for your vote because if you do, we will make history. We will lead America to one of the brightest futures we've ever known and this future will be a New American Century for all Americans.

Thank you. God bless you and God bless America.

[Optimistic applause from the audience]

-Barnstorm in Carson City, NV
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #324 on: June 01, 2017, 08:29:45 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2019, 01:01:50 PM by UWS »

Marco Rubio's campaign schedule, Part 2

August 19, 2016
-Senator Marco Rubio starts his international trip, just like John McCain, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney during their presidential campaigns, to meet heads of state and also to raise funds. He travels with his family and some of his campaign officials.
-Flight to Paris, France
-Marco Rubio meets with French President Francois Hollande at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport
-Speech before the Pont de Grenelle's Statue of Liberty in Paris, France :

Almost two and a half ago, while we were fighting for our liberty against the most powerful empire in the world, France became the first country to recognize our independence, stood with us and intervened on American soil to support us militarily, which helped us winning the American Revolution and officially becoming the United States of America. Today, international freedom is much more in danger than it was ever before : all around the world, terrorism killed many innocent people, whether it's in the United States, Germany, Canada, Australia, India, Afghanistan, Turkey or here in France, thus threatening freedom, the right to speak, freedom of press, freedom of religion and democracy. We need to keep fighting this threat and we will defeat international terrorism by working together, expanding our alliances, modernizing our military strength and strengthening our security measures. That way, we will stop terrorists from slaying populations for what they are and for what they believe. That's how we're going to restore international security, defend inviolable Human rights and defeat tyranny, oppression, terror and extremism. That way, we will defend what we fought for two and half centuries ago and this fight will not be in vain.

Thank you. God bless France and God bless America.

-Meet with college voters at the University of Paris in Paris, France   
-Visit at the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France
-Visit at the Palace of Versailles in Versailles, France

August 20, 2016
-Flight to London, United Kingdom
-Meet with British Prime Minister Theresa May at London City Airport in London, UK
-Foreign policy and economic issues discuss with Theresa May
-Speech in front of British deputies at the Palace of Westminster in London, UK, about US-UK relations, economic issues, free trade, foreign policy and war on terror
-Economic policy speech at the London School of Economics in London, UK
-Fundraising event with US financiers at the British Museum in London, UK

August 21, 2016
-Flight to Berlin, Germany
-Meet with German Chancelor Angela Merkel at Berlin Tegel Airport in Berlin, Germany
-Foreign policy speech at the Humboldt University of Berlin in Berlin, Germany
-Speech at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany
-Visit at the East Side Gallery in Berlin, Germany

August 22, 2016
-Flight to Jerusalem, Israel
-Meet with Reuven Rivlin, President of Israel, at Ben Gurion Airport in Jerusalem, Israel
-Meet with Israel Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu at the Knesset in Jerusalem, Israel

-Foreign policy speech at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel :

Since the beginning, Israel is America's greatest ally and partner in the Middle East, a region more dangerous than ever due to growing terrorist threat, Assad's tyranny and terror and Iran's support to terrorism (including Hezbollah) and attempt to develop its nuclear program to destroy Israel and to threat us and our allies. If we keep working together, we will win together. We are close from obtaining this victory because my Bipartisan Counterterrorist Coalition Act reinforced our defense ties with you and all of our allies in the Middle East and in the Indian Subcontinent to fight terrorism in the Middle East more effectively and reinforced sanctions against Tehran to make sure that Iran will use its nuclear energy for Iranian economic development rather than for its military nuclear program's development. In addition, if I'm President of the United States, I will seek to form with you and all our other allies in this region to form the Southwest Alliance Defense Association (SWADA) to fight terrorism and keep Iran from getting nuclear weapons and slaying an entire people like Israel. It will also protect freedom of religion because a potential massive nuclear attack against Israel is a massive nuclear attack against the Jewish people. Thanks to stronger military engagement, thanks to the courageous service of our brave men and women in uniform, we will surround ISIS and these terrorists will be attacked from all sides, thus further weakening them. That way, we will find Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and bring him to justice. That way, we will remove Assad from power in Syria, which will stop this outrageous massacre of the Syrian people and restore democracy, integrity and security in this country in addition of restoring Syria's sovereignty since Syria will no longer be led by Russia's puppet. Even after Assad's toppling, Syria will never become a terrorist heaven because we will rebuild this country to make health services, education, housing, food and freedom accessible for all the Syrian people just like we did in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Under my leadership, we will always stand with you Israel. I believe Jerusalem should be incontestably recognized as capital of Israel and I think Israelis and Palestinians should stop fighting each other. After all, these two people are brothers : if Christianity exists, it's because of Judaism and also because of Jesus Christ's sacrifice and resurrection. Since then, many Christians unfairly got persecuted, especially by the Roman empire, and we can't afford to keep seeing religious groups getting persecuted for what they are and what they believe. Israelis and Palestinians must live together like brothers, otherwise they will die together like fools. By working together, Israelis and Palestinians will overcome their challenges.

Combined with my leadership as future President of the United States, Benyamin Netanyahu's leadership as well as all our allies' leadership, we will make the world safer and terrorism extinct. We're living in a dangerous world and I'm ready to work with you in this dangerous and difficult time to accomplish our campaign for international freedom, justice and integrity against international terrorism, tyranny and corruption. United we stand, divided we fall.

Thank you. God bless you all, God bless Israel, God bless our allies and God bless the United States of America.

-Fundraising event with US financiers at the National Library of Israel in Jerusalem, Israel
-Visit at the Western Wall in Jerusalem, Israel
-Visit at the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem, Israel

August 23, 2016
-Flight to New Delhi, India
-Meet with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi, India
-Visit to the Rajghat, the final resting place of Mahatma Gandhi in New Delhi, India
-Free trade policy speech in New Delhi, India
-Foreign policy speech at the National Museum in New Delhi, India
-Economic policy speech at Jindal Steel and Power headquarters in New Delhi, India
-Visit to Connaught Place in New Delhi, India
-Fundraising event with US financiers at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi, India
-Meet with Indian President Pranab Mukherjee at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi, India

August 24, 2016
-Flight to Tokyo, Japan
-Meet with Japanese Prime Minister Shenzo Abe at Haneda Airport in Tokyo, Japan
-Foreign policy discuss with Shenzo Abe, especially on security, stability and peace on the Pacific Ocean as well as North Korea, China, war against Abu Sayyaf, free trade, etc., at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building

-Economic policy speech before the Tokyo Stock Exchange in Tokyo, Japan
-Free trade policy speech at Ginza in Tokyo, Japan, in favor of the Trans-Pacific Partnership
-Meet with college voters at the University of Tokyo in Tokyo, Japan
-Visit at Tokyo Tower in Tokyo, Japan
-Foreign policy speech at Hitotsubashi University in Tokyo, Japan, where Senator Rubio reiterates his promise to create the Pacific Treaty Organization (PTO) to reinforce peace and security on the Pacific, to stop North Korea's nuclear program through sanctions and the creation of the PTO, to defend South China Sea's territorial integrity against China and to fight Abu Sayyaf as well as international terrorism.
-Visit at the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation in Tokyo, Japan
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies