Israel general discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:54:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel general discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 74
Author Topic: Israel general discussion  (Read 229226 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: February 16, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »

Yawn on the trump 2 states comment, I take his words with nothing but salt.

Back to party politics. All parties like JH/Likud/Labour/Meretz are getting ready for an election.
Some new groups in Likud gained some attention like the Liberals and the new Likudniks. Both plan on getting their men in. Herzog is recruiting a bundle of bland ex-generals to have a "right" looking list. Galon wants open primaries in Meretz, while Gilon and his gilonjugend are suddenly again after they got enough people in as convention delegates.

Elections coming this fall. Stay tuned

Do you think that Galon will be successful in her attempt? If not, I suspect Meretz is doomed. Galon might resign because of that, as she's putting everything on it.
Probably not, too many of delegates wouldn't want to lose their power but let's wait there's a call for a snap vote in May. If that fails in that case we might see a snap election for a new convention. If that fails I honestly don't see how the party could carry on as a whole, the internal institutions are dysfunctional due to internal strife for almost a year and a half now.

If she fails/Gilon gains the leadership I will resign as a delegate and leave the party
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #951 on: February 16, 2017, 05:42:42 PM »

Back to party politics. All parties like JH/Likud/Labour/Meretz are getting ready for an election.
Some new groups in Likud gained some attention like the Liberals and the new Likudniks. Both plan on getting their men in. Herzog is recruiting a bundle of bland ex-generals to have a "right" looking list. Galon wants open primaries in Meretz, while Gilon and his gilonjugend are suddenly again after they got enough people in as convention delegates.

Do you think that Galon will be successful in her attempt? If not, I suspect Meretz is doomed. Galon might resign because of that, as she's putting everything on it.
Probably not, too many of delegates wouldn't want to lose their power but let's wait there's a call for a snap vote in May. If that fails in that case we might see a snap election for a new convention. If that fails I honestly don't see how the party could carry on as a whole, the internal institutions are dysfunctional due to internal strife for almost a year and a half now.

If she fails/Gilon gains the leadership I will resign as a delegate and leave the party

Out of interest, in that case, who would you vote for, or where would you go politically?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #952 on: February 17, 2017, 02:57:27 AM »

Out of interest, in that case, who would you vote for, or where would you go politically?
Hard to tell, I'll either vote JAL/Labour, there's no other viable alternative
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #953 on: February 22, 2017, 04:54:12 PM »

So Ayelet Shaked appointed some right-wingers to the Supreme Court today.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #954 on: February 23, 2017, 03:59:35 AM »

More complicated than it appears, I will write post in it tomorrow(as I also appeared before two of them). The change is generally cosmetic
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #955 on: February 23, 2017, 02:16:04 PM »

*warning a boring post on the judiciary, you may avoid this post*

well I would say it may be headlined in the media but false. Shaked played a smart negotiation but bottom line of the 4 only justice Mintz is a right winger. The two right wingers of her choice Sapir and Khan were barred by the rest of the committee (she probably used them to get in a stronger position anyway).
justice Vilner (who I had the privilege to appear before) is religious but she's a mild conservative not all that different than those on the court now. Shaked wanted Winograd of Jerusalem but had to settle for her. justice Elron (who I appeared before but can't say it was a privilege) was boosted by Kachlon, doesn't strike me as all that right at all. The last one Kara is a christian from Jaffa.

If the court moved to the right it's by an inch, and it was moving to the right anyway since 2008.

Shaked did a strategic mistake though, she created bad blood with justice Hayot who is going to be the chief justice for the next 8 years (and also one of the courts only true leftists). Payback will come in various forms. 
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #956 on: February 27, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up, Hnv. I guess Arutz 7 were shilling for BY again.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #957 on: February 28, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »

Kachlon is the first to get hit, Hayot made noises of canceling his 3rd home taxation bill today due to a flawed legislation procedure. (she sat with the two right wing justices on this which is interesting so I think he managed to piss off more than just her)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #958 on: March 02, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »

So it seems like despite strongly denying, Eitan Cabel and Shelly Yachimovich made a political deal when she decided to run for Chair of the Israeli General Worker's Organization. Discovered in a voice recording of Cabel, where he pretty much destroyed his political career by admitting that he doesn't give a f*** (his words, kinda) about anything other than his own personal gain.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #959 on: March 03, 2017, 07:54:41 AM »

Like Cabel had any political future to begin with...

Omer bar lev is also running for Labour leadership, this is getting ridiculous
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #960 on: March 04, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »

Avi Dichter saying he's going to run against Bibi in the next Likud primaries.
Ya'Alon saying he's forming a new party...political savvy is not a good description of him.
Amiram Levin (another ex general) is running to head Labour, yes another one
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #961 on: March 04, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »

Ya'Alon saying he's forming a new party...political savvy is not a good description of him.

What's the current list of Labour candidates?
Peretz, Margalit, Herzog, Bar Lev, Gabay, Amiram Levin? I guess Cabel won't run after the recordings.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #962 on: March 04, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2017, 01:39:22 PM by Hnv1 »

Peretz, Margalit, Herzog, Bar Lev, Gabay, Amiram Levin? I guess Cabel won't run after the recordings.
Add Eldad Yaniv, Yom Tov Samia, and the latest prof. Avner Ben Zaken (who is a self pretentious git and a mediocre scholar)

So more pretenders than expected seats.

Currently if I had to rank them by preference then: Margalit, Levin, Bar Lev, Gabay, Samia, Herzog, Yaniv, Ben Zaken, Peretz.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #963 on: March 04, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »

Add Eldad Yaniv, Yom Tov Samia, and the latest prof. Avner Ben Zaken (who is a self pretentious git and a mediocre scholar)

So more pretenders than expected seats.

Currently if I had to rank them by preference then: Margalit, Levin, Bar Lev, Gabay, Samia, Herzog, Yaniv, Ben Zaken, Peretz.

Mine is probably: Margalit, Gabay, Levin, Bar Lev, Samia, Yaniv, Peretz, Herzog and Ben Zaken.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #964 on: March 04, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »

Ya'alon's new party has the potential to hurt YA and Kulanu more than Likud.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #965 on: March 05, 2017, 12:44:55 AM »

Yeah, these "brave moderate hero!!!1111" parties almost never do any great harm to the right wing. Though, with that said, without Kulanu Netanyahu wouldn't have enough to form a right wing coalition.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #966 on: March 05, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.775331

Marijuana decriminalized. I don't really follow Israeli domestic politics but it's not really surprising to me, considering the amount of relatively open marijuana use I saw there.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #967 on: March 05, 2017, 12:12:16 PM »

Marijuana decriminalized. I don't really follow Israeli domestic politics but it's not really surprising to me, considering the amount of relatively open marijuana use I saw there.
Yeah, it's been moving in that direction for quite long. The majority of Israelis seem to be moderately socially liberal, so it's probably a concession to satisfy them without angering the religious parties.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #968 on: March 05, 2017, 03:06:40 PM »

Yeah, it's been moving in that direction for quite long. The majority of Israelis seem to be moderately socially liberal, so it's probably a concession to satisfy them without angering the religious parties.
Considering buying weed anywhere outside of tel aviv is usually from a bloke with a black kippah and a Shas look I doubt they care that much...
The true opponents are the we know better than you what's right brigade, usually YA\JH voters
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #969 on: March 05, 2017, 10:40:44 PM »

Yeah, these "brave moderate hero!!!1111" parties almost never do any great harm to the right wing. Though, with that said, without Kulanu Netanyahu wouldn't have enough to form a right wing coalition.

Ya'alon isn't moderate at all. He's to the right of Netanyahu. How could he possibly be talking about an alliance with Yesh Atid?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #970 on: March 06, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »

Ya'alon isn't moderate at all. He's to the right of Netanyahu. How could he possibly be talking about an alliance with Yesh Atid?
Like that matters in Israel...Benny Begin and Rivlin are "moderate" though stand to the fringe of the right. political alliance here stand on other grounds than ideological
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #971 on: March 06, 2017, 08:24:46 AM »

Rivlin is only "to the right of Netanyahu" if you view a one-state solution as inherently more right-wing than a two-state solution, which is pretty far-fetched. Surely someone "to the fringe of the right" would not cancel a concert because the artist had triggered people on the left by dropping a truth bomb, and surely someone "to the fringe of the right" would pardon Elor Azaria. Rivlin can hardly be considered to be right-wing at all. I also have no idea how Ya'alon could be considered to be to the right of Netanyahu. But yes, it is undoubtedly true that political alliances in Israel (much like in many other countries), and within the Likud in particular, are based more on personal strategic alliances than on ideological grounds.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #972 on: March 06, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »

Rivlin is only "to the right of Netanyahu" if you view a one-state solution as inherently more right-wing than a two-state solution, which is pretty far-fetched. Surely someone "to the fringe of the right" would not cancel a concert because the artist had triggered people on the left by dropping a truth bomb, and surely someone "to the fringe of the right" would pardon Elor Azaria. Rivlin can hardly be considered to be right-wing at all. I also have no idea how Ya'alon could be considered to be to the right of Netanyahu. But yes, it is undoubtedly true that political alliances in Israel (much like in many other countries), and within the Likud in particular, are based more on personal strategic alliances than on ideological grounds.
The common perspective views the far right and the far left as going to a one state solution (with different approach). As political standings are situated on several dimensions it is futile to speak of more to the left or more the right as a strict and literal truth. But if i must then in the shallow way of talking they are more to the right.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #973 on: March 16, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »

Meretz convention rejected Galon's proposal for open primaries.  New leadership elections announced Avalon vs Gilon.

Derii has been making weird break the government noises, I wonder if he's just the messenger...

Ya'Alon to start a new party, Levi-Aboksis to start a new party, Feiglin's new party will hold open primaries
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #974 on: March 18, 2017, 05:28:05 AM »

Meretz convention rejected Galon's proposal for open primaries.  New leadership elections announced Avalon vs Gilon.

Derii has been making weird break the government noises, I wonder if he's just the messenger...

Ya'Alon to start a new party, Levi-Aboksis to start a new party, Feiglin's new party will hold open primaries

Looks like the election is coming soon. Any chance Levi-Aboksis changes her mind and joins Ya'Alon or something? We don't need yet another party, and she'll never pass the mark anyway. She's just not that great of a politician, just very principled.
Also, Avalon? Did you mean Galon or did I miss an awful lot in my school's annual trip?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies