Climate change and internal migration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:42:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Climate change and internal migration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Climate change and internal migration  (Read 736 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 19, 2022, 10:24:34 PM »

Isn't the consensus that the Midwest/Great Lakes area will be hotbeds for climate refugees?

That's been a talking point of mine--inspired by an Averroes post--for about the past year. For probably unrelated reasons, Marquette in the Upper Peninsula already has a booking property market.

How bad are we expecting the climate to get in a place like Florida? I can definitely see the Southwest becoming inhabitable if the Colorado River finally dies up.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 08:12:38 AM »

Right now, Central Florida gets between 1-3 really nasty cold fronts each year where they get frosts maybe one or two mornings in a row. Every few years, they will get a bonafide freeze. Where do you think this will be by 2050? Maybe if the Everglades floods with sea water, the climate in Orlando and Tampa will be like Miami's today. The Geology is slightly better in Central Florida, too but not by much.

I also think parts of Wyoming and Colorado might start feel a lot like California by then, too. As more places become uninhabitable, others will become more inhabitable. Maybe the Great Lakes will feel more like DC or North Carolina by the end of my life (provided I actually die from "old age").
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies