School Vouchers? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:13:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  School Vouchers? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: School Vouchers?  (Read 3610 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: November 22, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »

Support. Parents (and children who agree with their parents) should be able to choose what kind of schools their children go to easier. It's about choice to me. If there are schools known for teaching creationism, then they shouldn't attend those schools. Education should also be less nationalized then it is now.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:32:24 PM »

Support. Parents (and children who agree with their parents) should be able to choose what kind of schools their children go to easier. It's about choice to me. If there are schools known for teaching creationism, then they shouldn't attend those schools. Education should also be less nationalized then it is now.

I do think that people should be able to choose what school they can go to, like the Colorado program, but this shouldn't include charter schools. If we allow schools to teach creationism, the right-wing religious cores will remain uneducated about science issues.

I do agree with you, I think Evolution should be taught and creationism shouldn't be taught. But that's not my decision, that's the school boards decision. I honestly think teaching creationism is bad form, but I think also that some parents want their children taught creationism, and that's their choice. 

(Plus, the religious right would go crazy if the teachings of creationism were just abolished)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:56:25 PM »

I do think that people should be able to choose what school they can go to, like the Colorado program, but this shouldn't include charter schools. If we allow schools to teach creationism, the right-wing religious cores will remain uneducated about science issues.

I do agree with you, I think Evolution should be taught and creationism shouldn't be taught. But that's not my decision, that's the school boards decision. I honestly think teaching creationism is bad form, but I think also that some parents want their children taught creationism, and that's their choice. 

(Plus, the religious right would go crazy if the teachings of creationism were just abolished)
That's not the school board's decision.  That's the constitution's decision.  If you want to learn about religion, go to Sunday School.

This isn't religion I was referring to here, this was strictly how the universe and man evolved (science). I know that creationism involves God, but its not strictly religion. Obviously religion and education should be separated. We should do something to try to eliminate the teachings of it because it does invoke some religious values, but it should not be thrown out as a theory in science (even if we all think its incorrect).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:38:03 PM »

That's not the school board's decision.  That's the constitution's decision.  If you want to learn about religion, go to Sunday School.

This isn't religion I was referring to here, this was strictly how the universe and man evolved (science). I know that creationism involves God, but its not strictly religion. Obviously religion and education should be separated. We should do something to try to eliminate the teachings of it because it does invoke some religious values, but it should not be thrown out as a theory in science (even if we all think its incorrect).

The problem with that, though, is that there really isn't any solid evidence to support creationism as a scientific theory. For it to be of equal standing with evolution, it would need to tested and supported in the same way that evolution has been, which it has not.

Furthermore, a decision by a school board to include intelligent design in the cirriculum was found to violate the establishment clause in the 2005 case Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District by a federal district court. Based on this precedent, school boards do not have the authority to do this. Only private schools.

Well, I realized I made a mistake when I used the word "school board" as If I was referring to a public school. (Oops) I shouldn't of used that, as I was actually referring to the charter and private schools that PJ was talking about. I shouldn't just said "school". But your evidence and argument is credited.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies