US House Redistricting: Kansas

(1/31) > >>

dpmapper:
Kansas:

If the GOP doesn't want to split the KC suburbs between two districts, then this is the best they can get, barring something really ugly.  Only 4 counties are split in my map; 2 of them because of Fort Riley.  

CD 3 (in purple) loses Lawrence, gains part of Leavenworth County.  I'm particularly tickled that you can make it almost an exact square and be within 263 of ideal population.  Anyway, McCain won the district 50.02 - 48.66, compared to Obama 51-48 in the previous district.  

CD 2 (green) gains Lawrence, so to compensate I put Manhattan in the 1st.  I understand that Kansans prefer to keep Ft. Leavenworth and Ft. Riley in the same district, which is why the lines are a bit erose.  I also rejiggered some of the counties in the south: CD4 (red) took Labette (55% McCain) so that CD2 could take even redder counties farther north (eg, Washington).   Couldn't get CD4 to go all the way out to Pittsburg without getting really ugly, though.  CD2 is at 54-44 McCain, slightly down from 55-43.  

CDs 1 and 4 should still be very safe for the GOP.  

Torie:
Absent legal restrictions, the GOP will want to make CD-03 a couple of percent more GOP if it can.

Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario):
Quote from: Torie on December 12, 2010, 08:37:38 PM

Absent legal restrictions, the GOP will want to make CD-03 a couple of percent more GOP if it can.

I'm not sure it can be done without marginalizing CD-2. McCain's percentage in the whole counties of the proposed CD-2 is 52.17%, compared to 49.51% in Wyandotte and Johnson Counties (a slight plurality). In 2004, Bush received 56.75% in the whole counties of the proposed CD-2, compared to 56.40% in Wyandotte and Johnson Counties. Republicans should be safe in both districts most of the time, but short of putting Topeka and Lawrence in CD-1 I wouldn't try too hard to make CD-3 a Republican stronghold. But then you end up with the very ugly shapes that the OP was trying to avoid.

JohnnyLongtorso:
I came up with this a while back for Kansas:

It pretty much makes all the districts about mid-50s McCain districts.

minionofmidas:
Wichita won't like it. Kansas City is, of course, essentially being buttraped; but they vote Democratic anyways. Then again, West Kansas might not like it either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page