Oregon Set to Pass Free Funding of Abortions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:18:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oregon Set to Pass Free Funding of Abortions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Oregon Set to Pass Free Funding of Abortions  (Read 2987 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2017, 02:22:58 AM »

Ok--- Map #1: Oregon Ballot Initiative #8: Prohibit Abortion With Three Exceptions (1990)

https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Prohibition_of_Abortion_and_Exceptions,_Measure_8_(1990)

Dark Red are counties that voted 70%+ Against
Dark Purple: 65-69% Against
Light Purple: 60-64% Against
Yellow: 55-59% Against

ok--- maybe there were a ton of Anti-Abortion folks that moved into the State in various counties between '90 and '16. One might make an argument that a growing Latino population in many counties in Oregon, especially the Mid-Valley and parts of Eastern Oregon somehow shifted the dynamics in various counties....

Is it plausible that there may have been a few shifts in the margins in various counties in Oregon since '90? Absolutely. Is it realistic to believe that these shifts have benefited to perspective that all Abortions should be banned with 3 exceptions? Absolutely Not.

Even if were to make the mental leap and somehow assume that the growing Latino voting population of Oregon would support an effective ban on Abortions, which I find not only a dubious concept in the extreme, but also stereotyping of Mexican-American and Central-American Citizens of Oregon, the trend would likely be much more heavily outweighed by immigration to Oregon from neighboring countries (Such as California).... Wink

Ok--- Map #2: Ballot Measure #10: Parental Notification of Minor Abortions (1990)

Yes 48%- No 52%

https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Notice_to_Minor%E2%80%99s_Parents_Before_an_Abortion,_Measure_10_(1990)

So, here you have Oregonians narrowly rejecting a measure that would have required parents be notified if their child chose an abortion for whatever reasons....

Dark Blue- 70% Yes (Malheur)
Violet- 60% Yes (Douglas)
Sky Blue- 55-59% Yes
Green: 50-54 % Yes
Yellow: 50-54% No
Fuscia: 55-59% No
Red: 60+% No

There was a similar measure proposed in 2006.... here is a link to the map

Yes 45%- No 55%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Ballot_Measure_43_(2006)

Now, I don't have the county level data on my fingertips, but between '90 and '06 Oregonians opinions on Abortion, even as emotional and controversial subject such as parental notification appears to have shifted significantly.

Anyways--- just wanted to pull up some maps on how Oregonians have voted historically on Abortion related legislation, and also to reinforce my perspective as to why proposed bill isn't an electoral liability from an "Abortion Rights/ Protection of Unborn Perspective".

If anything there might be some hits on the funding issue, as Old Skool mentioned in some of the 'burbs of PDX, Salem, and Eugene, but I really don't see Republicans winning any statewide election on this, let alone flipping control of the State House or Senate..... Time will tell, but there are still some Liberal/Moderate Pubs left in heavily Democratic districts that can be flipped as well if the Oregon Pubs overreact on this issue....

IMHO.

Dems lost state wide this year for sec of state because they overreached by making a small business owner who refused to bake a gay cake go bankrupt . To me this is a similar overreach as many people who who are pro choice would not support funding abortion.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2017, 03:12:27 AM »

I think this could be an ideal starting point for a compromise legislation - have it free and easy for the relatively unproblematic (both ethically and health-wise) first trimester non surgical abortions and heavily restrict later abortions.

Isn't that how Europe does it? I'd be fine with heavy restrictions anywhere after 24 weeks but YMMV (obviously those restrictions would have to have exceptions for rape/incest/threat to mother's life)

It is in the UK, but I think there are co-payments in some European countries.

Tbh if one could get free and quick early abortions, I don't really see anything wrong with kicking in the restrictions even earlier, like 15 weeks. People don't have abortions that late outside of strict medical reasons, so you might as well close the pro-life fears of superfluous late term abortions.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies