Underlying trend (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:18:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Underlying trend (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Underlying trend  (Read 11864 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: January 04, 2005, 09:45:20 PM »

Ask a Catholic Irishman about the 'black' Irish.  But stand back before he answers, as you may get a torrent of words which won't exactly be kind.
I think you're thinking of the Black and Tans, named for the colours of their uniforms.

The "Black Irish" were supposedly decendents of the dark complexion Spanish survivors of the Armada.  I've heard Black Irish refer to themselves as "Black Irish," so I'm not sure the term is derogatory.

It is not a derogatory term in the least.  And, though the legend is creative, it is wrong.  Gentically, in many parts of Ireland and in Welsh and and western English lands, there is a strong preference towards darker looking, "heavier features".  These people, thought still having lightly complected skin, have dark hair and eyes and some fetures of the forehead, nose and jaw-line that look somewhat more mediterranian than Northern European.

The term "black Irish" is not derogatory at all.  In fact, many of the lighter Irish are jealous of the "black Irish" because they are perceived to be more physically attractive.

The story I heard about the "black Irish" is that they originally came from Spain.  Some Irish names, such as Costello, are actually of Spanish origin, so this lends some credence to the story.

If you are looking for a derogatory name for some Irish, "shanty Irish" is the way to go...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies