Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:42:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 28308 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »

Oops
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »

If he issues a statement, someone please post it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »

Does anyone else remember the poster Sam Spade saying that Franken groped his aunt on the subway and that's why he hated him?

What I learned about Al Franken...
« on: December 25, 2008, 01:31:08 pm »   

No reason to make this longer than need be, so I'll start from the top.  I'd prefer not to have to do this, but...

As I've mentioned before, most of my relatives are from the South.  However, I do have an aunt who lives in NYC (Queens exactly).  She's not blood-related, but she married my blood-related uncle who was a bit actor who moved to New York, and who unfortunately passed away a number of years because of a freak accident.  She was actually the more financially successful of the two and has not remarried since his death.

Anyway, she was always my favorite aunt when I was a child because she always sent me the best gifts.  And since I've moved to NYC, I always try to see her every so often, which is often difficult considering her schedule and mine.

One of those times was a couple of weeks before the election this year when I had lunch with her.  Naturally, the conversation turned to politics and Obama-McCain.  Eventually, I mentioned Al Franken and she said "Don't get me started there.  What an outright disgusting sicko perv!"  I asked why...  She said, "Well, I guess you're old enough now to know these types of things..." As follows...

One day, sometime in 1976 or 1977 (she doesn't remember the year), but it was in October, she was riding the subway back into Manhattan in the early evening to finish some stuff at work.  The train was fairly empty.  A guy sat down in the seat next to her and started talking to her.  She responded.  Well, this person was Al Franken.

After a couple of minutes, he started to try and pick her up, using some lines which she told me were "lame".  I should mention that she hadn't met my uncle yet - they didn't meet until 1980 or get married until 1982.  She didn't say whether was actually single at the time.  I didn't ask.  Anyway, she thought he looked like a weirdo, not to mention that his eyes looked a bit glazed over, and she said "No thanks."  He kept pressing and she said no.

I'm not going to go into details as to what happened next after this insistence, but let's say that the groping and grabbing done by Franken done towards certain private regions of my aunt would probably constitute sexual harassment today, if not more.  It didn't constitute much back in those days.  Anyway, as he did this for a few seconds, my aunt pushed him off, said "Get away you f-ing creep," which he did and ran quickly off the next stop.  She never saw him again (well, except on television).
The only person on the forum who I've already told this was MW08, because he asked insistently on the forum, but I know I told him only the essentials (not the back story and a few of the details).  

This is all I'm going to say about it.  And I don't want commentary, so the thread gets locked.

I see no reason to think about supporting a political party who has a creep like this in their midst, and allow him to be anywhere near government.  Also, I feel like getting involved in politics in some way to see if, in some way, I can prevent people like this from getting into positions of power in the future.  That's the reason why this will lead to less time on the forum.  We'll see whether I can sustain either of those things (successfulness on the perv front is probably an illusion), but I certainly feel it to an extent.

Of course, maybe all political parties do have a certain amount of creeps, and that's probably true, but when it affects a close family member, you tend to feel a bit more involved.  I can't help but feeling a good bit angry whenever Al Franken is mentioned now.  Maybe that'll pass, it probably won't.

I believe I've said my piece, however short it may be.

Which is probably why he said this too:

I wish he would die a slow and painful death.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »

Ummmmm Moore is accused of being a pedophile that is a whole lot worse then what Al did
All sexual predators should be removed from office, period.

Congress would be empty.

Best reason ever.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »

Does his statement seem a bit  "oops, my bad, it was just like locker room talk"
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »

When Keith Olbermann says his explanation is insufficient and he must go, it's night night time for the Senator.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »

And to nobody's surprise, Trumplicans are already calling for his resignation.

Al Franken really isn't as smart as he thinks.

Keith Olberman is a Trumplican? 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 11:24:45 AM »

And to nobody's surprise, Trumplicans are already calling for his resignation.

Al Franken really isn't as smart as he thinks.

Keith Olberman is a Trumplican? 

Did I say "Just Trumplicans"? I'm showing their hypocrisy.

Your omission of Democrats shows yours.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 12:13:59 PM »

When WaPo says your apology is underwhelming you're in trouble.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

If he resigns I'm afraid who Dayton might appoint.  It's almost better for Murica if he stays.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 01:17:43 PM »

So for an ethics probe, won't they be dragging this woman in front of the Senate?  If so, it seems like a bit more than she should have to go through, no?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 01:24:29 PM »

So for an ethics probe, won't they be dragging this woman in front of the Senate?  If so, it seems like a bit more than she should have to go through, no?

Got it all necessarily, Grumps. That's only if there is a dispute in their testimony, which they're clearly isn't.

They may give her the voluntary opportunity to appear as a victim impact statement as to how it is affected her, and get her two cents as to what should happen, but if she doesn't want to appear she won't need to I feel certain

Ok, thanks.  Yeah being grilled by Senators in private isn't something anyone wants to go through.  Maybe she'll hire my heartthrob Gloria Allred.  Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »

Dunno.  I clipped it from Google images for a deportation bus.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:44 AM »

Was this guy her BF or Hubby or Friends with benefits partner?  Do we know?  Sure blame the girl for Franken sticking his tongue halfway down her throat.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »

Was this guy her BF or Hubby or Friends with benefits partner?  Do we know?  Sure blame the girl for Franken sticking his tongue halfway down her throat.
Who is blaming the girl?

TG's both sides do it thing seems like attacking the victim
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politics/al-franken-inappropriate-touch-2010/index.html

Another woman has come out and claimed Franken touched her butt in 2010.

Even if it makes me a hypocrite, Im at the point where I dont think getting your ass grabbed should be a news story. Its gross and deserves a smack on the face, but thats about it.

Reasonable.  What about the Bush 41 grab ass allegations?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politics/al-franken-inappropriate-touch-2010/index.html

Another woman has come out and claimed Franken touched her butt in 2010.

Even if it makes me a hypocrite, Im at the point where I dont think getting your ass grabbed should be a news story. Its gross and deserves a smack on the face, but thats about it.

Reasonable.  What about the Bush 41 grab ass allegations?

An old man in a wheelchair touched a butt. Ive had multiple old women grab my ass, who cares.

Not me but in another thread there's a lot of butt hurt going on about HDubs.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »

You nuclear Elmo fans are a tad quiet here.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »

Doesn't Franken realize that if he doesn't resign, he's probably going to lose in either the primary or the general?

Who says he's planning to run again?  He might just serve out the rest of his term, which ends in 2020.

A plum job like that with an easy peezy win.........why wouldn't he run again?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »

And now a third accusation

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/11/20/al-franken-arianna-huffington-harassment/883718001/
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »

If the sexual harassment happened while he was in public office, then the only right thing for him to do is to step down.

If this is the standard then those wanting Trump to pay a price need to be quiet.  He hasn't done anything while in public office.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »

I love people who claim dems are so inconsistent for being even slightly openminded about Franken, who has had a couple of fairly minor allegations, while they support a President who not only has nearly 20 accusers, he also has basically admitted exactly what he is accused of, and in some cases even worse. AND, most seem to be supporting the child molester down in Alabama. Amazing.

For the record, I think Franken should resign, but I don't feel those who disagree are some kind of crazies or are somehow being wildly inconsistent.
I think Franken ought to make himself an example for others by staying in office, fighting for justice for those harassed and sexually assaulted using that senate seat, and doing penance for his past. He shouldn't resign.

It's pretty clear he's not going to resign.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 08:29:34 AM »

Up to 4 and growing but it doesn't seem like his colleagues are in a rush to see him resign. Hmmm
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 10:00:16 AM »

His latest apology is about as lame as it gets.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies