EU continues it's war on US tech companies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:02:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EU continues it's war on US tech companies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: EU continues it's war on US tech companies  (Read 1384 times)
Angel of Death
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/why-did-the-european-commission-fine-google-five-billion-dollars
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 05:55:35 AM »

Too little, too late. Google offers a superior product and no one is going to switch to any alternatives now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Google offering Android for free to various manufacturers (on the condition that they include the Play Store, Chrome etc.)? Sounds like a fair deal to me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2018, 07:42:21 AM »

Too little, too late. Google offers a superior product and no one is going to switch to any alternatives now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Google offering Android for free to various manufacturers (on the condition that they include the Play Store, Chrome etc.)? Sounds like a fair deal to me.
Perhaps, but the EU's position is that using a dominant market position in one product to force other products to be used in addition is an abuse of market power.
EPG
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »

Ever tried using Bing, Vestager? I'd call being made to use Bing an abuse.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2018, 02:33:37 PM »

Perhaps, but the EU's position is that using a dominant market position in one product to force other products to be used in addition is an abuse of market power.
what, like Apple has done for decades?  As long as Apple and dumb people exist, Android won't own the market.  Also, when are they going after Apple?  They do everything the EU is accusing Google of, only it's MUCH more painful to get rid of their sh**t than it is Google's sh**t.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2018, 03:46:57 PM »

what, like Apple has done for decades?  As long as Apple and dumb people exist, Android won't own the market.  Also, when are they going after Apple?  They do everything the EU is accusing Google of, only it's MUCH more painful to get rid of their sh**t than it is Google's sh**t.
A year or two back they fined Apple for not reporting taxes in Ireland. Either way to build a case against Apple takes time and recourses. Right now, going after Google is much easier. We just have to wait and see what other firms they target in the coming time.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2018, 08:09:37 PM »

When's the last time Apple even allowed another company to use their OS, let alone force them to stick other junk on their equipment for the privilege?  Google is perfectly free to decide what they want on the Pixel, just as Apple can decide what to put on the iPhone.  Especially in this area, it's important to be certain you aren't comparing apples and oranges.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies