British Monarchy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:32:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  British Monarchy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: British Monarchy  (Read 4392 times)
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »

I'm just saying no one wants to chop a babies head off.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 01:17:17 PM »

Royalty are like weeds, you have to get rid of all of it or they'll start popping up again.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »

Royalty are like weeds, you have to get rid of all of it or they'll start popping up again.
0_0
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2015, 08:39:52 PM by politicus »

I don't mean to derail the thread- we can take this elsewhere if need be- but I'm intrested as to what exactly you mean by "masculinity" and Danish conceptions of how much of it is appropriate. I'm sure you don't expect men to wear dresses or anything but I am curious as to how they differ from ours.

Danes generally consider macho behaviour (dominant presence, extreme competitiveness, hitting on every woman within reach etc.)  either ridiculous or intimidating (often both) and there is a part of male Americans that would have to tone it down a notch or two if they were to fit in. There are just a higher share of macho types in the US - also in white collar professions. There is a limit to how dominant/tough etc. you can be in Denmark if you  are to be accepted. More so in the middle class than among blue collar types, but even in classical working class environments with traditional masculinity being valued there is a limit. It is not that Danish men are effeminate, but we just connect masculinity with being calm, confident, capable and collected (so to speak) rather than being very aggressive and dominant.

It is perfectly uncontroversial to be Chinese in Denmark. They are considered a model minority. The Danish uneasiness towards foreigners is not based on skin colour, but on people having alien norms such as "excessive" commitment to religion, dominant macho-style masculinity and a strong concept of honour - especially if based on sexual chastity/modesty.

Those sound like the reasons a liberal might not like Muslim immigrants. Do your really think those are the concerns of the people who vote for the Danish People's Party? Legit question.

A lot of the things Americans call liberal values are mainstream values in Denmark, so to a large degree DPP voters share those sentiments. They are not SoCons in the US sense. DPP voters have a strong animosity against religious fundamentalism and strongly religious people (they are among the least churchy, but use church membership as an identity marker) and are "liberal" on sexual mores/nudity and generally also in favour of equal rights for women (though with emphasis on family). There is a larger share of homophobes than in the general population, but even that is not a majority view. Regarding gender roles they have typical Danish blue collar values (see my reply to Simfan).

People vote for DPP for a large number of reasons, some completely unrelated to immigration - like Euroscepticism and concern over welfare cuts. DPP voters are scared of crime (which they, not completely unreasonable, connect with immigrant gangs) and they fear globalization in general (losing their jobs, losing their identity, technocrats taking over). They fear change in general and are nostalgic about the past (but that past was the SD created post-war welfare state - so not right wing in US terms). They strongly believe there should be a national community with a shared culture of some sort, but they are not hostile towards what they consider well adjusted minorities like Jews and Chinese. Also no hostility towards adopted children. Their concept of Danishness is cultural, not racial.

There are of course racists in Denmark like everywhere else (and they vote mostly DPP), but fewer than in Germany, Benelux and France. It is the strong focus on homogeneity that creates the uneasy relationship with (some) immigrant groups. Still, lots of immigrants thrive and succeed in Denmark.

I made a long effort post in the Denmark Election thread about why Denmark has strong anti-immigration sentiments (there are some paradoxes in this), so read that if you want background.

I will answer no more questions about DK here. If you want some talk more about  it use the Danish election thread if it is DPP related or set up a separate thread somewhere.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 08:00:53 PM »

I don't mean to derail the thread- we can take this elsewhere if need be- but I'm intrested as to what exactly you mean by "masculinity" and Danish conceptions of how much of it is appropriate. I'm sure you don't expect men to wear dresses or anything but I am curious as to how they differ from ours.

Danes generally consider macho behaviour (dominant presence, extreme competitiveness, hitting on every woman within reach etc.)  either ridiculous or intimidating (often both) and there is a part of male Americans that would have to tone it down a notch or two if they were to fit in. There are just a higher share of macho types in the US - also in white collar professions. There is a limit to how dominant/tough etc. you can be in Denmark if you  are to be accepted. More so in the middle class than among blue collar types, but even in classical working class environments with traditional masculinity being valued there is a limit. It is no that Danish men are effeminate, but we just connect masculinity with being calm, confident, capable and collected (so to speak) rather than being very aggressive and dominant.

In one word, being civilized.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 08:32:33 PM »

Danes generally consider macho behaviour (dominant presence, extreme competitiveness, hitting on every woman within reach etc.)  either ridiculous or intimidating (often both) and there is a part of male Americans that would have to tone it down a notch or two if they were to fit in. There are just a higher share of macho types in the US - also in white collar professions. There is a limit to how dominant/tough etc. you can be in Denmark if you  are to be accepted. More so in the middle class than among blue collar types, but even in classical working class environments with traditional masculinity being valued there is a limit. It is no that Danish men are effeminate, but we just connect masculinity with being calm, confident, capable and collected (so to speak) rather than being very aggressive and dominant.

In one word, being civilized.

I'm in general not happy that you use the word civilised for it. It indicates that other people, who don't share some very specific ethno-cultural mores which to some degree is most common in northern Europe, are uncivilised or barbarians. It's not the mores which make people civilised it's the acts.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 01:14:18 AM »

I am of the view that Queen Elizabeth II should retire and turn the throne over to Charles.

Surely if a monarch wishes to retire, abdicate, quit, leave office, or whatever you wish to call it, there is a way to do that.  And I do not mean by dying.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »

This is so stupid. The succession to the British crown isn't based on popularity. Charles won't abdicate and will reign some day.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 05:10:16 PM »

After the end of Queen Elizabeth's reign, where does it go? Any chance Prince Charles chooses not be crowned (with the trouble over Camilla's role) and proceed directly to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?)

No chance at all.

We are assuming, of course, that Charles outlives Elizabeth.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies