New Register Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 01:05:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Register Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 78
Author Topic: New Register Thread  (Read 198690 times)
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: March 25, 2018, 12:18:10 PM »

Upon further review:

TheGovanahJake
Progressive Union
New York
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1301 on: March 25, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »

Upon further review:

TheGovanahJake
Progressive Union
New York
Big oof.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #1302 on: March 25, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »

Yes.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #1303 on: March 25, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »

Sunday Afternoon Massacre?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1304 on: March 25, 2018, 01:02:36 PM »

Upon further review:

TheGovanahJake
Progressive Union
New York

Welcome to PUP Jake, great to have you!
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1305 on: March 25, 2018, 03:43:15 PM »

Official opposition?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1306 on: March 26, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »

No, the opposition parties all have two seats and I'm the Minority Leader. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1307 on: March 26, 2018, 11:02:07 PM »

No, the opposition parties all have two seats and I'm the Minority Leader. Tongue

That is generally how a non-partisan, merit based election works. Tongue
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1308 on: March 27, 2018, 12:37:11 AM »

democracy at its finest

But seriously, is there an official way to determine the "official opposition" if all three opposition parties are tied?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1309 on: March 27, 2018, 12:44:33 AM »

democracy at its finest

But seriously, is there an official way to determine the "official opposition" if all three opposition parties are tied?

Well, in the US, we don't have a single opposition leader. If you'll notice, in official Senate business, Schumer is always referred to as the "Democratic Leader" to Turtle's "Majority Leader", never "Minority Leader".

Otherwise I'd imagine it'd be based on who got more votes for Speaker/PPT/etc. Then maybe seniority? Idk.

Anyway you might actually be the 'majority leader' if Alliance were to form an official bloc with the left parties.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1310 on: March 28, 2018, 03:49:31 AM »

democracy at its finest

Well, in the US, we don't have a single opposition leader. If you'll notice, in official Senate business, Schumer is always referred to as the "Democratic Leader" to Turtle's "Majority Leader", never "Minority Leader".

Otherwise I'd imagine it'd be based on who got more votes for Speaker/PPT/etc. Then maybe seniority? Idk.

Anyway you might actually be the 'majority leader' if Alliance were to form an official bloc with the left parties.

The answer is no, unless the body be ideologically divided like it was in early 2014. It was split 5-5, and TNF was the defacto leader of the opposition.

However, there is no real structural way to create proposition or opposition conference that has meaning beyond just doing it for the sake of doing it. The only real success I achieved with this across six congresses was with the Whips, because they have a definable role.

What good is a Majority/Minority Leader though? What do they do in real life? They control the calendar and what comes up. Here it is done by order of introduction, with equal access to the floor, and a limit on the number of bills one sponsor can have on the floor to preserve the floor from being monopolized.

So regardless of who officially has the control or who is official Speaker, anyone, from anyone party can get their bill on the floor. The only hindrance is whether or not the Speaker/PPT is sh**t or not. That is why many times such elections often ignore partisanship and ideology and merely elect the most active and fairest person, which is in the best interest of the minority since it removes the only road block to their floor access, incompetence.

As much as some want to try and push for there to be some kind of grand coalition opposed to the Federalist Party, the Congress isn't structured for that, and I owe my Speakership to a diverse grand coalition not just in this Congress, but in the 6th and 8th as well, so about half the time I have been speaker.

When I was PPT the last time, it lasted through a period that the Senate was 8-2 leftist and survived a Laborite majority twice, and would have a third time if I hadn't lost my internet access.

The shift to a partisan controlled chamber was long supported by the left, including TNF. It was actually part of the original Duke plan for the House to be partisan while the Senate was non-partisan, but once again there was no way to make it work. You cannot deny access to a certain group of members to the floor, otherwise they have no mutual benefit from participating at all and will basically just be permanently inactive, if they were to run at all. I was even willing to let them try it and but by then they had changed their minds (Windjammer is a very different person from TNF Tongue), but based on my experiences with the conferences, it would not have worked.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1311 on: March 28, 2018, 03:45:21 PM »

democracy at its finest

The answer is no, unless the body be ideologically divided like it was in early 2014. It was split 5-5, and TNF was the defacto leader of the opposition.

However, there is no real structural way to create proposition or opposition conference that has meaning beyond just doing it for the sake of doing it. The only real success I achieved with this across six congresses was with the Whips, because they have a definable role.

What good is a Majority/Minority Leader though? What do they do in real life? They control the calendar and what comes up. Here it is done by order of introduction, with equal access to the floor, and a limit on the number of bills one sponsor can have on the floor to preserve the floor from being monopolized.

So regardless of who officially has the control or who is official Speaker, anyone, from anyone party can get their bill on the floor. The only hindrance is whether or not the Speaker/PPT is sh**t or not. That is why many times such elections often ignore partisanship and ideology and merely elect the most active and fairest person, which is in the best interest of the minority since it removes the only road block to their floor access, incompetence.

As much as some want to try and push for there to be some kind of grand coalition opposed to the Federalist Party, the Congress isn't structured for that, and I owe my Speakership to a diverse grand coalition not just in this Congress, but in the 6th and 8th as well, so about half the time I have been speaker.

When I was PPT the last time, it lasted through a period that the Senate was 8-2 leftist and survived a Laborite majority twice, and would have a third time if I hadn't lost my internet access.

The shift to a partisan controlled chamber was long supported by the left, including TNF. It was actually part of the original Duke plan for the House to be partisan while the Senate was non-partisan, but once again there was no way to make it work. You cannot deny access to a certain group of members to the floor, otherwise they have no mutual benefit from participating at all and will basically just be permanently inactive, if they were to run at all. I was even willing to let them try it and but by then they had changed their minds (Windjammer is a very different person from TNF Tongue), but based on my experiences with the conferences, it would not have worked.

Not by me!

A partisan House or a partisan senate is just a terrible idea. There are often problems with activity, so basically reducing the ability of senators or representatives to have their laws being debated will just lead to even more inactivity.

And anyway, I suppose the Rules of the Senate have changed a bit since the time I was administrating it as VP and then PPT (Speaker was always such a dumb name), but I suppose there are still slots reserved for emergency etc etc.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1312 on: March 28, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »

Uh, where exactly do I find the national voter roll?

Also, better get back into the right state so people know who I am

jk2020
Mario
California
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1313 on: March 28, 2018, 05:34:24 PM »

Uh, where exactly do I find the national voter roll?

Also, better get back into the right state so people know who I am

jk2020
Mario
California
The census thread.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1314 on: March 29, 2018, 05:25:20 PM »

democracy at its finest

Not by me!

A partisan House or a partisan senate is just a terrible idea. There are often problems with activity, so basically reducing the ability of senators or representatives to have their laws being debated will just lead to even more inactivity.

And anyway, I suppose the Rules of the Senate have changed a bit since the time I was administrating it as VP and then PPT (Speaker was always such a dumb name), but I suppose there are still slots reserved for emergency etc etc.

Someone didn't read the whole post. Tongue

And yes changing the PPT of the Senate to Senate Speaker during the latter part of the pre-reset Atlasia, was rather hollow and superficial of a change that served no purpose.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #1315 on: March 30, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »

De-registered.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1316 on: March 30, 2018, 02:44:00 PM »

Sorry to see you go Siren. You will be missed. Thank you for your great contribution to Atlasia as a whole, as well as to me personally.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1317 on: March 30, 2018, 05:20:58 PM »

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1318 on: March 30, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »

Awful news. Cry
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1319 on: March 31, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »

Classic Conservative
Federalist
Mississippi
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #1320 on: April 01, 2018, 12:45:37 AM »

DTC
Conservative Union
Mississippi
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1321 on: April 01, 2018, 12:47:41 AM »

wxtransit
Conservative Union
New Mexico
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #1322 on: April 01, 2018, 12:49:35 AM »

Welcome to my party.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1323 on: April 01, 2018, 12:50:49 AM »

I guess you're the leader of both Unions, now.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1324 on: April 01, 2018, 12:52:26 AM »

Pericles
Conservative Union
Minnesota

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies