17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:06:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17
Author Topic: 17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.  (Read 27419 times)
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 17, 2018, 12:45:01 AM »

Honestly my gut says he hangs himself in his cell before Easter.
Fingers crossed.
(I realize you shouldn't wish death on anyone, but this disgusting waste of space murdered 17 people so I feel it's appropriate).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #376 on: February 17, 2018, 12:47:24 AM »

But why would he do that?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #377 on: February 17, 2018, 12:49:01 AM »

But why would he do that?
Mental issues, plus prison is obviously not an enjoyable place to be.
Joey1996

« Reply #378 on: February 17, 2018, 12:56:44 AM »

At this point, I hope the prosecutors in Florida will let Cruz plead guilty and take his 17 life sentences so that the families don't have to go through a trial. If this goes to trial, he will almost certainly have no other option than to mount an insanity defense, which will turn into a circus.

States like Florida impose the "tough on crime" model and will probably try to give him death despite the emotional taxation the families will encounter during the trial.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #379 on: February 17, 2018, 07:35:04 AM »

I think it's also time that there really was a boys/men's movement.  Do not conflate this with the feminist movement.

If it's not hand in glove with the feminist movement in having shared falues then it's against it. And that's ultimately toxic.
Cooperation and shared values are a given... but I get a little nervous with "if you're not with us (whatever that means), then you're against us."  That's what is so toxic.  

Who decides who is with or against the feminist movement?  Who decides what the values of feminism are that a men's movement has to share?  The only part that seems straight forward is cooperation.  But the task is to bring men and boys into the 21st century and redefine masculinity into a positive force in society.  This will necessarily not be a woman-led effort.  Any more than white people will lead blacks to equality or men will lead women to equality.

The crisis in masculinity won't be abated until the general premise of feminism is accepted. Male entitlement that's not sated leads to toxic masculinity.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #380 on: February 17, 2018, 08:02:12 AM »

The "Aaron Hernandez way out"
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #381 on: February 17, 2018, 08:08:51 AM »

Thanks, FBI.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #382 on: February 17, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »

I think it's also time that there really was a boys/men's movement.  Do not conflate this with the feminist movement.

If it's not hand in glove with the feminist movement in having shared falues then it's against it. And that's ultimately toxic.
Cooperation and shared values are a given... but I get a little nervous with "if you're not with us (whatever that means), then you're against us."  That's what is so toxic.  

Who decides who is with or against the feminist movement?  Who decides what the values of feminism are that a men's movement has to share?  The only part that seems straight forward is cooperation.  But the task is to bring men and boys into the 21st century and redefine masculinity into a positive force in society.  This will necessarily not be a woman-led effort.  Any more than white people will lead blacks to equality or men will lead women to equality.

The crisis in masculinity won't be abated until the general premise of feminism is accepted. Male entitlement that's not sated leads to toxic masculinity.

Right now I see two kinds of men's movements

1. The feminist auxiliary brigade. These types of men focus on what masculinity should NOT be and what men should NOT do. They focus on issues that are the male equivalent of feminist issues, including male sexual assault and gender roles. But they do not necessarily embrace men's own unique issues.

2. The anti-feminist groups. These range from relatively moderate MRA's to full blown self-described patriarchs. But they are all united by defining themselves in opposition to feminism.

What is needed is a real men's movement that does not define itself solely by feminism (either for or against) but is an independent movement that addresses men's unique situation.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #383 on: February 17, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »

One thing I will do, and which I hope Republicans will do, is dial back the criticism of public school teachers, and call off the privatization of public high schools.  A number of public school teachers on site here (and UNIONIZED public school teachers to boot) were flat-out heroic.  The public school system has many systemic problems, but privatizing the daylights out of public schools won't solve the problem; it will only reduce the standard of living of teachers.   

I WILL remember THESE teachers the next time someone lets loose with a diatribe.  The legitimate criticisms leveled at the public school system needs to be tempered with recognition of the heroic acts of public school teachers in this crisis, and other similarly tragic ones. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #384 on: February 17, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »

One thing I will do, and which I hope Republicans will do, is dial back the criticism of public school teachers, and call off the privatization of public high schools.  A number of public school teachers on site here (and UNIONIZED public school teachers to boot) were flat-out heroic.  The public school system has many systemic problems, but privatizing the daylights out of public schools won't solve the problem; it will only reduce the standard of living of teachers.   

I WILL remember THESE teachers the next time someone lets loose with a diatribe.  The legitimate criticisms leveled at the public school system needs to be tempered with recognition of the heroic acts of public school teachers in this crisis, and other similarly tragic ones. 

As critical as I am about teacher's unions, I have never been a fan of replacing the public school system with private schools. I am accepting of charter schools as an alternative where the public school system is unable to provide a quality and safe education, but certainly not as a replacement. Most of what I desire is reform and improvement within the public school system but like with a lot of things, the influence of money and established interests works against change. The same applies to the gun issue.

Until you get the money out of politics, switching parties merely switches which interest groups are favored and which are disfavored and precludes real reforms.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #385 on: February 17, 2018, 10:57:12 PM »

Has his story been posted here yet?

Peter Wang, Florida school shooting victim: Brave teen seen holding door open for others during shooting

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Plus there's a thread on r/military requesting a full military burial for him.

Rest in power, Peter.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #386 on: February 17, 2018, 11:18:59 PM »

You're a RW hack possing as a leftwing Bernue supporter Jfern
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #387 on: February 17, 2018, 11:48:46 PM »

A real life Hodor. FF
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #388 on: February 18, 2018, 04:02:07 AM »

He sounds like he was an amazing human being Sad RIP.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #389 on: February 18, 2018, 08:18:25 AM »

Hey, we can't say the GOP has done nothing about their Florida shooting anymore!

So-called "President" and animate pile of diseased human feces Donald "The Sewer" Trump (R-Moscow) is now using to use the murder of seventeen of our fellow citizens, most of them children, as a distrction to hide behind while lying about the FBI's investigation of his own publicly demonsonstrated malfeasance during his latest idiotic and unhinged twitter ravings.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #390 on: February 18, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »

Funny how the United States is the only developed country in the world that has "mental problems" that cause mass shootings to occur.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #391 on: February 18, 2018, 02:33:44 PM »

I don't have the answer to how to prevent these crises.  No one does.

The only common denominator I can see in many of the school shootings is the extreme sense of alienation felt by the shooters.  This, to me, is an issue that goes far and away beyond "mental health".  The kind of planning that has gone into many of these shootings is beyond the capability of the bulk of folks we consider to be "mentally ill".  It takes a pretty organized thought process to do the kind of planning that goes into planning these acts.  I'm thinking all the way back to Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold at Columbine; those guys thought it out, planned it out, and even had outside help.

I know Harris and Klebold were often bullied and ostracized at Columbine.  This young man, Cruz, at Parkland, had a hard go in high school, and he appears to have brought some of it on himself, but he was also adopted; his biological parentage something of a mystery.  He was orphaned AFTER being adopted, and at a time when he probably needed his family the most.  I know that more facts will emerge about this individual, but it's pretty scary to contemplate how "out there" this individual got through alienation.

How do we dial our society down so that folks can not experience alienation at the rates they do?  How do we manage to reach out and include those on the fringe?  Or, if it's not going to work, how do we create meaningful lives for the Klebolds and Harrises and Cruzes to where they do not sense whatever it is that alienates them to the point where they're resorting to mass violence?  You're a better person than me if you have a coherent idea.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #392 on: February 18, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »

I don't know if the military burial idea will fly.  I'm certainly not opposed to it, but you never know. 

I certainly think that Peter Wang should be recognized for the Amazing FF that he was in life by being posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  Others are alive and physically unharmed because of his bravery and sacrifice.  My hope is that when Trump presents such an award, he can resist his unfortunate tendency to get off track and self-aggrandize.  I certainly hope that such a ceremony happens, and with the reflective sobriety such an event deserves.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #393 on: February 18, 2018, 02:52:18 PM »

The part in bold is complete nonsense. Mass shootings are an epidemiological phenomenon (gunshots = disease) that can be recognized and controlled through state legislation. It certainly has been in Australia and the UK, where copycat Columbine killings were starting to take hold in the late 1990s.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #394 on: February 18, 2018, 02:54:14 PM »

I don't know if the military burial idea will fly.  I'm certainly not opposed to it, but you never know. 

I certainly think that Peter Wang should be recognized for the Amazing FF that he was in life by being posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  Others are alive and physically unharmed because of his bravery and sacrifice.  My hope is that when Trump presents such an award, he can resist his unfortunate tendency to get off track and self-aggrandize.  I certainly hope that such a ceremony happens, and with the reflective sobriety such an event deserves.

His parents speak little English so were unable to talk much to the press. But there's no reports of any siblings. But according to your president they are just immigrants from a sh**thole country.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #395 on: February 18, 2018, 02:54:29 PM »

The part in bold is complete nonsense. Mass shootings are an epidemiological phenomenon (gunshots = disease) that can be recognized and controlled through state legislation. It certainly has been in Australia and the UK, where copycat Columbine killings were starting to take hold in the late 1990s.
America has had a thing with guns since 1776. The relationship between the state and the individual is different here compared to the UK or Canada.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #396 on: February 18, 2018, 02:58:39 PM »

His parents speak little English so were unable to talk much to the press. But there's no reports of any siblings. But according to your president they are just immigrants from a sh**thole country.

..who should be deported because their families are using up too many scarce public welfare resources.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #397 on: February 18, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »

That's grossly unfair to Trump, who recognized the valor of students and teachers in this tragic event in Parkland.

Blame Trump for what he actually says and does.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #398 on: February 18, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »

America has had a thing with guns since 1776. The relationship between the state and the individual is different here compared to the UK or Canada.

Even within our national context we (that is to say, the GOP) hamstring the CDC from investigating death by gunshots as yet another form of death, like the flu, or car crashes, or HIV, and making any proscriptions about how to suppress it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #399 on: February 18, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »

That's grossly unfair to Trump, who recognized the valor of students and teachers in this tragic event in Parkland.

Blame Trump for what he actually says and does.

Get your head out of your ass.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies