Trump: We'll only lose PA if "certain sections of the state, they cheat" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:21:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: We'll only lose PA if "certain sections of the state, they cheat" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump: We'll only lose PA if "certain sections of the state, they cheat"  (Read 3931 times)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 12, 2016, 07:47:45 PM »
« edited: August 12, 2016, 08:00:36 PM by Speed of Sound »

More democracy-undermining and encouragement to intimidate voters from Mr. Trump.

Full quote (via Ana Marie Cox):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/anamariecox/status/764233861161160706
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 08:01:43 PM »

I'm not really seeing the dog whistle here per se, but if he's going to make an accusation like that, he might want to be a little more specific.
I'll take it out for now, if not everyone agrees it's there. I don't know what else he could mean other than inner city Philly, though...where all of those seedy "urban" people live. But still, this quote doesn't need my help to look awful, so I'll fix it up.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 11:46:33 AM »

Republicans know how bad they do with African Americans, so I don't understand why it should surprise them if this sort of thing happens in areas where basically the entire voting population is black.
The same kind of feeling of racial hatred that was dog whistled in this Trump quote. To these conspiracy nuts, blacks are both/either too stupid to know they're getting cheated and/or too morally corrupt to care.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 11:52:37 AM »

He's basically repeating claims made by Republicans before. In 2012 right-wing sites made an issue of the fact that Romney got zero votes in some Philadelphia precincts.

Even "moderates" like Mark Kirk use this sort of rhetoric. He claimed that East St. Louis would "jigger" the vote in 2010.
That is right. I remember hearing about Romney getting 0 votes in some Philadelphia precincts in 2012.  Just amazing.  People are sheep.
If by that you mean, "some precincts are small and overwhelmingly/100% black", then yes.

Why do conservatives never mention Utah in this case?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/In-Some-Utah-Precincts-Obama-Received-No-Votes-179322261.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Republicans know how bad they do with African Americans, so I don't understand why it should surprise them if this sort of thing happens in areas where basically the entire voting population is black.
There should be prominent people in the African American community supporting the GOP on social issues, as well as economic issues.  Like when Martin Luther King supported Nixon in 1960.
I'm not sure what "should" means here. Prominent people in the black community haven't been given much reason to support the GOP on social or economic issues for a long time, and their community overwhelmingly seems to agree.

What "should" happen is the GOP should respond to their lack of success by looking to reach out to the community, not expect the community to reach out to it. That's politics 101.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 12:11:28 PM »

I'm not sure what "should" means here. Prominent people in the black community haven't been given much reason to support the GOP on social or economic issues for a long time, and their community overwhelmingly seems to agree.

What "should" happen is the GOP should respond to their lack of success by looking to reach out to the community, not expect the community to reach out to it. That's politics 101.
GOP positions on issues like abortion, same sex marriage, law and order would appeal to older, middle class, church going blacks.  Especially if prominent blacks like, for example, LeBron James and Nicki Minaj and others with a voice, stood up and said it's okay to vote for the GOP, the party of Lincoln, the party that sees no color barrier to success.
I'm gonna let this comment speak for itself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies