What will replace Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:34:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What will replace Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: What will replace Christianity?  (Read 26719 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »

I reject the very premise of this thread.  Christianity, particularly Catholicism, is growing faster than ever.  Just not in the West.

Euh, pardon, but, where the hell did you see that Catholisism were growing faster than ever?? Frankly, it's a mistake in your sentence or what??

Catholicism is growing fast than ever in Africa and Asia.  Thousands of new converts every day.

[cheap shot]Spreading the Prosperity Gospel, eh?[/cheap shot]

Of course in the heart land of Europe catholicism as a serious social phenomena (at least on a macro scale) is functionally dead, and there seems to be little chance of retriving it. But we already knew that, didn't we?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »

I reject the very premise of this thread.  Christianity, particularly Catholicism, is growing faster than ever.  Just not in the West.

Euh, pardon, but, where the hell did you see that Catholisism were growing faster than ever?? Frankly, it's a mistake in your sentence or what??

Catholicism is growing fast than ever in Africa and Asia.  Thousands of new converts every day.

Euh, please, give me sources of this! I'm curious about it!

No, really, what I see hear and read for years now it is that Christianity is effectively growing a lot around the world, but not Catholicism, Evangelicals, especially Baptists and Pentecotists. And that Catholics are desperately running after them in regions like, yes, Asia and Africa plus Latin America where, there, Evangelicals are growing on already Catholics soils.

Euh, frankly, and according to what I see here, the only perspectives of Catholicism are for me in Europe. In Europe, most of people secularized their minds during the last 30 years or have at least put religion on a side of their life. But now, sounds they are more and more attracted by conservative values and by the past, something which can also be seen by the attempts of "rebirth" of regional cultures and languages. In that sens they're attracted again by their traditional religion, which is, for enough people here, Catholicism.

For sure I speak for what I know the best, France, but I really tend to think that in traditional Catholic European countries it happens like that, far more in Italia, Spain sounds on the same kind of track. And, there are also the former communist countries which are now in EU. There, like in Russia where the Orthodox religion is being revived after the death of communism, we can see for example that Catholicism becomes really strong again with the example of Poland and I really feel it's a general trend.

All of that said, I think that Catholicism has really no future, even in Europe, for me they can just go lower and lower. Evangelicals are far more adapted to modernity, to globalization, they are far more flexible, reactive, and adaptable, and they have really understood which means they had to take if they wanted to convert a lot of people, and so they spread a lot around the world, and Catholics just run after them. They spread even in China, where they are forbidden, statistics I heard here or there for that region regularly gives between 100 and 200 millions of converted, especially by peasants, who are by far the most numerous and by far the most unhappy of the regime.

I really tend to think that the Christianity which is being currently rebuild will be very flexible and that it could even break the former borders Catholics/Protestants/other ones. I really think a new universalistic Christianity can born in years to come. A big movement of union of Christians around the world, they could keep differences between them, and maybe still even between each churches, or even between each individuals, but I think they would have the will join them in a great world movement. Something in which I don't believe on the long term, but which on a short time could be really powerful. Well, let us see.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »

I wonder if you're dumber when you're being a Moderate Hero, or not being one. Posts like this make it a tough call.

Care to explain that?  Eventually, all people will follow Judaism.

LMAO.

If you want me to explain by the way, you probably should as well (basically explain why all will one day follow Judaism instead of simply saying so.)

When the Moshiach comes, all people will return to G-d, and His religion, Judaism.  That is a basic part of the religion.

But the Messiah has already come. His name was Jesus Christ. And Judaism was replaced.

Jesus wasn't the Messiah.  The Messiah hasn't come yet.
Ashley Biden's Diary
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2009, 12:45:38 AM »

Jesus Christ himself will replace Christianity.  He is coming very soon.

I can't wait to watch them haul you off to the camps. I will watch with an evil smile.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2009, 09:32:53 AM »

I can't wait to watch them haul you off to the camps. I will watch with an evil smile.

oh, I am sure they will; afterall, they will attempt to kill anyone who doesn't accept the mark of the beast.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »

Jesus wasn't the Messiah.  The Messiah hasn't come yet.

Psa 118:22 "The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone."
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »

I don't think Christianity will be replaced, but it will alter itself accordingly. Maybe less reliance on hardline dogma, and changes in ritual, but as a force, I don't believe it to be going anywhere.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »

I don't think Christianity will be replaced, but it will alter itself accordingly. Maybe less reliance on hardline dogma, and changes in ritual, but as a force, I don't believe it to be going anywhere.

That's already happening.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »

That's already happening.

It's a continuous process.
Ashley Biden's Diary
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »

oh, I am sure they will; afterall, they will attempt to kill anyone who doesn't accept the mark of the beast.

Do you believe in a literal 666 mark, or the symbolic/ID chip theory?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »

Do you believe in a literal 666 mark, or the symbolic/ID chip theory?

some sort of ID, but I think the mark being in the "right hand" or one the "forehead" is probably symbolic...but, it's impossible to tell.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »

I hope .. *hope* .. that you are not implying that the census map actually records the percentage of actual Christians in each country?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »

The U.S. Census doesn't ask religion, so huh?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »

Neither does France, btw. That's why this map is so peculiar.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2009, 04:19:45 AM »

I hope .. *hope* .. that you are not implying that the census map actually records the percentage of actual Christians in each country?

I wasn't implying anything, I just posted the map from Wikipedia because I found it interesting and indicative of where Christianity is strong in the developing world.

I wasn't even looking at the U.S.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »

I wasn't implying anything, I just posted the map from Wikipedia because I found it interesting and indicative of where Christianity is strong in the developing world.

You should know better than to do that.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2009, 11:53:17 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2009, 02:57:43 PM by Benedict »

Neither does France, btw. That's why this map is so peculiar.

Yes.

And I guess that if we just take in consideration those who practice the religion, we would be the same color a Muslim country. Some surveys confirms it, and according to a survey from a serious paper about religions here "Le Monde des religions", 51% of French declare being Catholic, and in this 55% say they are by tradition, 21% say they are because they have faith, and 14% because it matches with values they share.

So, given that the protestants are here such a very few minority, we are far, of that dark purple state on the map. That one might match with the number of people baptized, like me, I'm officially baptized Roman Catholic, but I don't believe in it.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2009, 02:52:19 PM »

Czech Republic?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2009, 07:50:03 PM »

You should know better than to do that.

Haha, are you for serious?  Who cares?  It's just an image, not an academic paper.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2009, 09:13:55 PM »

Anyone else still laughing at constine's reply?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »

I really doubt it's that high in Russia, Belarus, Britain, France...and a whole host of the European ones actually.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2009, 02:33:08 AM »

Those are all countries where it probably is a Census question, and plenty of people will answer some branch of Christianity even if they don't actually practice.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2009, 03:21:42 AM »

the industrialized countries are the most boring guesses of the map, everyone knows about them already, and the associated disputes, they're not even remotely what I'm interested in
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2009, 08:22:33 AM »

the industrialized countries are the most boring guesses of the map, everyone knows about them already, and the associated disputes, they're not even remotely what I'm interested in

Some examples show the non accuracy of this map, which, as you acknowledged, is not an academic paper.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies