Official Home States? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:31:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Official Home States? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Official Home States?  (Read 4085 times)
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« on: August 09, 2004, 07:36:25 PM »

I've made a little booklet which contains the candidates, their homestates, and their electoral vote totals for each election. Needless to say I want this reference to be as accurate as possible, but determining the home state of various candidates oftern proves very difficult.

Nixon and Eisenhower are the most famous examples. This site and NARA have Nixon's homestate as New York for both 1968 and 1972 but I see many other sources which list California as his home state for either one election or both. Eisenhower is also listed as a New Yorker for both elections in this sites election results and NARA, but on this website (and in another source) under the list of presidents in election info it states his homestate for '56 was Pennsylvania. Upon further examination I have discovered two further questions as to official homestate. Curtis LeMay is listed on this website (and NARA) as being from California, but EVERY OTHER source I've ever seen lists him as from Ohio. George McClellan is listed on this website as from New York (like most other sources), but on NARA and one other source he is listed as from New Jersey.

Can anyone help?
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 02:04:39 PM »

I've been doing some further research on the matter and the following are my findings:

1. George McClellan was officially from New Jersey for the 1864 election
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsj&fileName=057/llsj057.db&recNum=148&itemLink=D?hlaw:22:./temp/~ammem_sMX1::%230570149&linkText=1
I advise Dave to correct his 1864 page for the sake of accuracy

2. Theodore Frelinghuysen was officially from New York* for the 1844 election
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsj&fileName=036/llsj036.db&recNum=162&itemLink=D?hlaw:24:./temp/~ammem_K2Xq::%230360163&linkText=1
I advise Dave to correct his 1844 page for the sake of accuracy

*Vermont cast their votes for Theodore Frelinghuysen of New Jersey

3. The mysteries of Eisenhower, Nixon, and LeMay remain unresolved. Anyone who wishes to help me solve them is welcome to

END
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 04:44:57 PM »

Further research has given me the following findings

1. I retract my previous statement that Theodore Frelinghuysen was from New York

2. I retract my request for Dave to change Frelinghuysen's home state on the 1844 page

3. Dave is correct that Curtis LeMay's official homestate is California

4. The persons whose home states are still in question are Theodore Frelinghuysen (1844), Dwight D Eisenhower (1952, 1956), and Richard Nixon (1968, 1972)

5. Any help would be greatly appreciated

END

You must be logged in to read this quote.

and Eisenhower is a Kansan...
I know as well as you (having visited Staunton) that Wilson was truly a Virginian at heart, but this study is concerned with what state they officially resided in for the election instead of what state was truly their home.

Lewis Trondheim, I've heard from several other forum members that Eisenhower was elected from Maryland but have yet to see it in print. Could you please tell me where you saw him listed as from Maryland?

Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 08:40:51 PM »

Around Richmond, it's in the profile...
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 06:20:35 PM »

Further research has yielded the following

1. Richard Nixon was from New York for the 1968 election and California for the 1972

2. Dwight D Eisenhower was from New York for the 1952 election and Pennsylvania for the 1956 election

END

The only mystery I haven't solved is the one I happened to stumble on while researching the four others, this is the mystery of Theodore Frelinghuysen. The first place to go for election results is NARA, the site given on many listings as the source for the data. Dave's homestates correspond completely to those given on NARA with the exception of George McClellan, 1864 (which Dave lists as New York but NARA lists as New Jersey). I noticed that the source for NARA's data was the senate manual, so I immediately checked that out. The senate manual agrees with NARA with the exception of Eisenhower, 1956 and Nixon, 1972 (which NARA lists both as New York but the senate manual lists as PA and CA respectively). The one thing that neither the Atlas, nor NARA, nor the senate manual will admit is that Frelinghuysen was from New York. This is baffling since in the original congressional journals from 1845 (link in response #5) say he was from New York. Why every source save the primary one refuses to acknoledge his residence in New York was such a mystery to me that I retracted my official statement that he was a New Yorker until I did further research. Further research I have done, but I still can't figure this out. Once again, anyone who wishes to offer tips or help for these long complicated investigations is welcome to.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 06:47:15 PM »

It would seem as though an eighth question as to someones home state has surfaced. Sources seem split almost 50-50 about whether John W Davis (1924) was from West Vriginia or New York. Indeed, in Dave's page of site updates one of the more recent ones was correction of Davis's homestate from New York to West Virginia. West Virginia certainly seems to have the stronger argument as it is backed by both NARA and the senate manual, but then again the argument that Frelinghuysen is from New Jersey is also backed by both NARA and the senate manual. Will this madness ever end?
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 04:21:44 PM »

Actually Lewis is correct, Eisenhower was born in Denison, Texas in 1890. I referred to him as a Kansan since he spent nearly his whole life there in Abilene.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies