'illegal' immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:31:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  'illegal' immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 'illegal' immigrants  (Read 2420 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2005, 09:25:48 PM »

Yes. The idea that Mexicans are "taking away" jobs is ridiculous, and shows no understanding of basic economic theory.

The arguement that Mexicans only take away jobs that Americans would'nt do anyway is ridiculous.  I just pointed out an a situation were around 60 Mexcians are illegal employed and making good money.  Those jobs could be filled be legal citizens.

It seems we need another image from Maddox.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2005, 10:16:01 AM »

Yes. The idea that Mexicans are "taking away" jobs is ridiculous, and shows no understanding of basic economic theory.

The arguement that Mexicans only take away jobs that Americans would'nt do anyway is ridiculous.  I just pointed out an a situation were around 60 Mexcians are illegal employed and making good money.  Those jobs could be filled be legal citizens.

"Could be filled" is speculation without other information. If the pay is satisfactory, then one would expect Americans (and legal immigrants) to compete and have many of those jobs since they lack the barrier of requiring an underground economy in which to operate. The question that should be asked is why aren't Americans in those construction jobs?
ragnar
grendel
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2005, 01:10:49 PM »

I would rather have been born into Belgian citizenship, or several other European ones.

why?

Because it is better!  Actually being a native English speaker is in my opinion the biggest advantage.  But as far as benefits of citizenship, most Western European countries are much better.

Sure if I was born in Europe I could have free education, live off the welfare system and not feel guilty because it was socially accepted, and be unemployed visiting museums for free. But after a while it would get quite depressing.

Itīs not sociale acceptable, to live off the welfare system, and ALMOST all people who can survive* without, is not permitted to.

*the meaning of survive may be little more "kind" in europe
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2005, 03:02:02 AM »

Mitty, why don't you come to Arizona and pay my portion of taxes to educate the children of those who are there illegally.  It's ironic that the "freedom loving" nations of Europe that Opebo loves so much have strict restrictions on immigration.  We need to beef up border patrol to keep those who are not supposed to be here out of here in the interest of national security.  We need a guest worker program that allows those who are not a security threat to able to do work that Americans can not or will not do.  As for the minimum wage, just abolish it and let the market determine what workers are willing to work for and what employers are willing to pay.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2005, 03:08:16 PM »

Mitty, why don't you come to Arizona and pay my portion of taxes to educate the children of those who are there illegally.  It's ironic that the "freedom loving" nations of Europe that Opebo loves so much have strict restrictions on immigration.  We need to beef up border patrol to keep those who are not supposed to be here out of here in the interest of national security.  We need a guest worker program that allows those who are not a security threat to able to do work that Americans can not or will not do.  As for the minimum wage, just abolish it and let the market determine what workers are willing to work for and what employers are willing to pay.

I agree with you pretty much. The only thing I have to say is that its not that Americans ARENT able to do the jobs the Mexicans do, they are just to lazy to do them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies