Ginsburg in worse health than Rehnquist... Souter possibly retiring too (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 08:48:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ginsburg in worse health than Rehnquist... Souter possibly retiring too (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ginsburg in worse health than Rehnquist... Souter possibly retiring too  (Read 1858 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« on: July 06, 2005, 09:48:34 AM »

I hope Ginsburg and Souter (along with Stevens) hold on until there's a consensus building pragmatist - not beholden to ideological folly -  sitting in the Oval Office

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:30:47 AM »

Because you want a liberal activist who will legislate from the bench, obviously.

Not at all. I wouldn't want liberal activists or conservative activists particularly on the Supreme Court or any other court for that matter

Clinton was a pragmatist and Bush an ideologue - and frankly, I trust pragmatists to act in a consensus-building fashion than ideologues. Ideology is divisive and to be honest has no place on the bench. Of course, Bush can show a bit of metal by not appeasing his conservative base but that's his prerogative

A moderate conservative in the fashion of retiring Justice O'Connor to replace her would do. I certainly don't think either progressive loons or reactionary nuts ought to determine rulings

In case, you haven't noticed I'm not exactly an advocate of liberal judicial activism - nor ever will be. I believe it's the job of legislatures and/or referenda to make laws not the judiciary

Dave
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies