State abortion laws megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:52:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State abortion laws megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16
Author Topic: State abortion laws megathread  (Read 42513 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: December 03, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »
« edited: December 03, 2019, 01:28:14 PM by Edgar Suit Larry »

Pennsylvania’s republicans continue to embarrass...

A Pennsylvania bill would require death certificates for fertilized eggs that never implant in the uterus

https://www.businessinsider.com/pennsylvania-bill-would-require-death-certificates-for-fertilized-eggs-2019-11

Why was someone like Yellowhammer a Democrat?

W.T.F?!? Shocked

Why are you even a Republican?

Why was Yellowhammer a Democrat?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2019, 12:53:38 PM »

A Pennsylvania bill would require death certificates for fertilized eggs that never implant in the uterus

https://www.businessinsider.com/pennsylvania-bill-would-require-death-certificates-for-fertilized-eggs-2019-11

W.T.F?!? Shocked

The. Law. Mandates. A. Medical. Procedure. Which. Does. Not. EXIST.

Opposing this bill doesn't equate to being a Democrat, but rather equates to simply not being an idiot.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #327 on: December 03, 2019, 04:19:42 PM »

W.T.F?!? Shocked

Opposing this bill doesn't equate to being a Democrat, but rather equates to simply not being an idiot.

You also think the GOP's immigration stance is "white supremacy" etc etc. I'm not talking specifically here, but in general: why are you a Republican? I've literally never seen you right of center on anything.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #328 on: December 03, 2019, 06:02:11 PM »

W.T.F?!? Shocked

You also think the GOP's immigration stance is "white supremacy" etc etc. I'm not talking specifically here, but in general: why are you a Republican? I've literally never seen you right of center on anything.

I'll gladly re-register in the next primary. And yes, the naked oh, vile, and absolutely unsubtle racism that permeates Trump's immigration policy and the Republican party's embracing of it, is contemptible. Don't blather on about " border security". It's white antipathy towards the changing and Browning America.

Incidentally, in just about every argument you've ever made on any issue, you make a compelling case to switch parties.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #329 on: December 03, 2019, 08:31:47 PM »

W.T.F?!? Shocked

Our country would be much better off if this was the prevailing wisdom.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2019, 08:12:37 PM »

OMG, there are some states where babies are being born in the 9th month. This is wrong and has to be changed.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #331 on: December 07, 2019, 08:14:58 PM »

OMG, there are some states where babies are being born in the 9th month. This is wrong and has to be changed.

This gaffe is actually pretty old... if I recall, it's from the '17 or '18 March for Life.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »

This gaffe is actually pretty old... if I recall, it's from the '17 or '18 March for Life.
Ok, I never saw this and it just popped up on my Twitter feed today.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2019, 10:19:44 PM »

probably good that he misspoke since that means the left will pay attention to it and keep broadcasting the issue.  I doubt a majority of voters in any state support unrestricted abortion in the 3rd trimester.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2019, 11:01:12 PM »

probably good that he misspoke since that means the left will pay attention to it and keep broadcasting the issue.  I doubt a majority of voters in any state support unrestricted abortion in the 3rd trimester.

And I doubt abortion is as big of an electoral issue as the right makes it out to be...
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2019, 08:55:22 PM »

SCOTUS upholds Kentucky's ultrasound law and refuses to strike down the KY law.

Means that the liberals don't see a way to move the conservative justices on notifications, discouragement laws, and so on. i suspect the liberals are bracing for a showdown that guts Roe in all but letter while the conservative justices are preparing to basically render Roe a dead letter in redder states. I assume Breyer and Co are holding their powder in reserve rather than die on this hill.

I hope there's already a majority opinion to strike down Roe in all but name and the liberals on the Court know this and are trying to basically accept it but influence the text. RBG's retirement might be the deal that nails that majority opinion into stone.

The pro-life movement is one of the most successful conservative movements in American history.

These requirements have been being pushed for years all over the country, right? Have other circuits ruled on the issue? What would be a larger thing is if SCOTUS basically ruled that having an abortion is constitutionally protected but not performing them. I'm open to the fact of that happening and that basically would be kind of an equivalent of Brown or Plessey where the Court basically ruled that in principle they agree with the prior rulings or a more plain interpretation of the constitution but that right protected or limited is so abstract that it never really existed. "OK. You can have equality but that doesn't mean you can have it on your terms." or "You can set conditions to equality. That's fine. But it's basically impossible to have equality on your particular terms for "equality".

I imagine that unless the Democratic party simply goes extinct or outright no longer takes a position on abortion (and even that will simply turn something that will take 10 years into something that will take 40) that basically the thing that will happen is that the Federal Government will regulate abortion by creating the terms they can legalize it (no federal funds for abortion, have to attempt delivery past 22 weeks gestation) or ban it (no federal funds for abortion ban enforcement, no travel bans, have to ensure access for abortions where there is clear and convincing evidence of an aggravated forensic or critically therapeutic need for an abortion   ).

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #336 on: December 10, 2019, 12:45:25 AM »

The pro-life movement is one of the most successful conservative fundamentalist movements in American history.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #337 on: December 10, 2019, 07:21:11 AM »

The pro-life movement is one of the most successful conservative fundamentalist movements in American history.
Prohibition at one point was.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #338 on: December 10, 2019, 11:05:12 AM »

Means that the liberals don't see a way to move the conservative justices on notifications, discouragement laws, and so on. i suspect the liberals are bracing for a showdown that guts Roe in all but letter while the conservative justices are preparing to basically render Roe a dead letter in redder states. I assume Breyer and Co are holding their powder in reserve rather than die on this hill.

I hope there's already a majority opinion to strike down Roe in all but name and the liberals on the Court know this and are trying to basically accept it but influence the text. RBG's retirement might be the deal that nails that majority opinion into stone.

The pro-life movement is one of the most successful conservative movements in American history.

Conservatives prepared to hang themselves on the blood of women, not surprising. The US will never be Gilead no matter how much the movement wants.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #339 on: December 10, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »

Conservatives prepared to hang themselves on the blood of women, not surprising. The US will never be Gilead no matter how much the movement wants.

Like I said, what is inevitable is a regression to the mean.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: December 10, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »

"the blood of women" wtf ?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #341 on: December 11, 2019, 12:07:33 AM »

"the blood of women" wtf ?

The effects of illegal abortions will replace all those nasty pictures of aborted fetuses as the picket line moves from the women’s clinic to the preacher’s and sheriff’s office on that day Roe is overturned.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #342 on: December 12, 2019, 10:11:43 AM »

You can't directly overrule Roe - that creates too many legal complicating factors since the underlying privacy rights are applied to other rulings. It's just easier to expand Casey's "undue burdens" holdings to enable the conservative states to shut down the remaining clinics.

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner! 

Beyond which, overturning Roe would be a pyrrhic victory for the pro-life movement.  You’d see most voters who aren’t genuinely committed pro-life activists swing very hard against the Republican Party (including the not insignificant number of folks who lean toward banning it in most circumstances, but haven’t really thought through the implications of this, especially once women start dying in attempted coat-hanger abortions and getting sent to jail [the latter of which I suspect even most pro-lifers would be very uncomfortable with if actually started happening regularly]). 

You’d also see much higher turnout from middle class and lower-income [current] non-voters...and said turnout will help the Democrats a lot.  At the end of the day, rich people will still get abortions.  They’ll just travel to New York or California.  Roe being overturned will be a mild, infrequent economic inconvenience for them, if that.  For everyone else, it’ll mean folks have to look to the black market or do it themselves...and once people start dying or are forced to become mothers even if they’re neither emotionally mature enough to raise a kid and/or lack the necessary financial resources...well...that’s the kind of stuff that gets non-voters to register to vote.  Ultimately, you could even quite conceivably end up eventually seeing a Democratic Congress pass laws broadly expanding abortion rights and explicitly prohibiting many of the restrictions currently on the books at the state level. 

The most effective way to reduce the number of abortions is to make contraceptives as affordable and easily accessible as possible.  Federally subsidized contraceptives (even covering only a portion of the cost) would be ideal.  Sadly, all the money in the world wouldn’t be enough to fix the adoption bureaucracy in America enough for people to start perceiving it as a credible third option.  However, the “legally codified ban” route will become GOP political suicide (and wouldn’t even achieve the pro-life movement’s goals in the long term as a result) the moment SCOTUS explicitly goes beyond the ever-expanding perimeters of Planned Parenthood v. Casey, a holding which was in practice a backdoor to giving states broad latitude to restrict abortion rights.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #343 on: December 12, 2019, 11:20:23 PM »

The most effective way to reduce abortions is to make it illegal.  Hundreds of thousands of mothers will choose to keep their child if they are prevented from getting an abortion.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #344 on: December 13, 2019, 06:24:09 AM »

The most effective way to reduce abortions is to make it illegal.  Hundreds of thousands of mothers will choose to keep their child if they are prevented from getting an abortion.

That is the dumbest thing I’ve read this morning.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna858476
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #345 on: December 13, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »

weirdly misleading headline.   They show the data that abortion rates have decreased, but they don't say where abortion has been legalized or show evidence that the abortion decrease was correlated with such places.   
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #346 on: December 13, 2019, 11:45:12 AM »

https://rewire.news/article/2018/10/04/stop-saying-that-making-abortion-illegal-doesnt-stop-them/
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #347 on: December 13, 2019, 11:54:53 AM »

That's a misleading interpretation.

It says there are more unintended pregnancies in states with right-to-life laws than states with right-to-choose laws. It goes on to state that half of those unintended pregnancies in right-to-life states go ahead and have an abortion anyways where two-thirds in right-to-choose states. Basically for people who would probably want an abortion more, right-to-life laws only reduce the abortion rate by about 30% on their own. Counting in that there are a higher rate of unintended pregnancies in these right-to-life countries, right to life laws likely have an effective deterrence rate of well under 30%.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #348 on: December 13, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »

weirdly misleading headline.   They show the data that abortion rates have decreased, but they don't say where abortion has been legalized or show evidence that the abortion decrease was correlated with such places.   

also they are using "abortion rate" which puts "women age 15-44" in the denominator.  I think it's fair to suspect that in most countries more abortions are from age 20-24 than age 40-44, which means the rate is going to be artificially lowered in countries where there are currently more women in the latter category.  ex:

CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #349 on: December 13, 2019, 12:06:14 PM »

That's a misleading interpretation.

It says there are more unintended pregnancies in states with right-to-life laws than states with right-to-choose laws. It goes on to state that half of those unintended pregnancies in right-to-life states go ahead and have an abortion anyways where two-thirds in right-to-choose states. Basically for people who would probably want an abortion more, right-to-life laws only reduce the abortion rate by about 30% on their own. Counting in that there are a higher rate of unintended pregnancies in these right-to-life countries, right to life laws likely have an effective deterrence rate of well under 30%.

A deterrence rate of 30% is huge imo.  That's hundreds of thousands of lives saved.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies