Dems in 2008: 12 Pickup Opportunities in Senate? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:52:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Dems in 2008: 12 Pickup Opportunities in Senate? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dems in 2008: 12 Pickup Opportunities in Senate?  (Read 10550 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 16, 2008, 02:43:53 PM »
« edited: May 16, 2008, 02:55:11 PM by Mr. Moderate, SoFA »

While a whole heck of a lot of these may wind up being "competitive," there is no conceivable scenario where Democrats can seriously invest in all 12 of these races.  I mean, they have a COH advantage, yeah, but it's not like an infinity-to-one cash on hand advantage.

They simply won't want to invest in a Texas longshot; Mississippi seems unlikely even with a serious investment (but dems pikked u p aseat lolololol); Kleeb is dead in the water in Nebraska against a super popular Republican governor—national Dems won't even give him a second glance; and Democrats just don't win Senate races in North Carolina during Presidential years—and most of those "wins" have come with GOP candidates a lot more polarizing than Liddy Dole.

Almost forgot: Maine still is not a serious pick-up opportunity without a significant Collins scandal.  People with those kind of personal popularity numbers just don't lose.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:57:45 PM »

While a whole heck of a lot of these may wind up being "competitive," there is no conceivable scenario where Democrats can seriously invest in all 12 of these races.
Agreed.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Agreed.

But in all honesty, people who say "Musgrove doesn't have any chance of making this close" are setting themselves up in rather more ridiculous fashion than people who are saying "he'll actually win".

I don't doubt that an open seat race in Mississippi will be close, or at least much closer than we're used to seeing in the state.  (Just like I don't doubt that Massachusetts will be much closer than we're used to seeing this year, either.)  I just doubt that Democrats will be able to win a national race there statewide, regardless of the climate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies