Conservative Cities in Liberal States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 09:58:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Conservative Cities in Liberal States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Conservative Cities in Liberal States  (Read 4951 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »

Nope.  Spokane County barely voted Romney, and the city of Spokane hasn't voted for a Republican Presidential candidate in recent history.

Obama 50,441 (54.5%)
Romney 39,214 (42.4%)
Other 2,923 (3.2%)

Neighboring Spokane Valley (pop. 91k) is pretty Republican, though: 53.9%-43.3% Romney.
bobloblaw
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 04:29:10 PM »

In Illinois anything south of I-80 and/or west of I-355. Except for St Clair and Rock Island Counties.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 09:00:48 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2015, 09:04:52 PM by PR »

mmmm

Colorado Springs, CO
Bakersfield, CA

Colorado is really not as liberal as a lot of people seem to think. It's a purple state that Obama was particularly suited to. Sure, there's a significant and growing population of Latinos and white liberals, but many of the former don't vote and the latter tend to be concentrated in a few areas (mainly Denver, Boulder, a few of their suburbs, and ski resort towns).

Not saying that it's anywhere near as conservative as states like Oklahoma or Texas or even Kansas-but it's not really that liberal, either.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 10:39:49 PM »

The county containing Green Bay, Wisconsin voted for Romney in 2012; but it was a narrow victory, so it could have just been due to surrounding communities. How did the city itself vote?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 11:07:43 PM »

The county containing Green Bay, Wisconsin voted for Romney in 2012; but it was a narrow victory, so it could have just been due to surrounding communities. How did the city itself vote?

57-42 Obama
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 03:52:56 AM »

Springfield, ILLINOIS (Chicago)
SAN DIEGO, CALIF (LAX)
KALAMANZOO, MI (DTW)
SYRACUSE, NY (NYC)
BANGOR, ME (AUGUSTA)

liberal cities in parenthesis
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 12:49:28 AM »

57-42 Obama

Green Bay still isn't that far off though, as Elections Guy also noted, it did vote 50.6-47.8 for Walker. I'm not quite sure I'd go so far as to call Wisconsin a liberal state and Green Bay, whether or not it's conservative, isn't really Republican, but for a rust belt urban core with a median household income of $38k, it is incredibly conservative. For a comparison, Racine has roughly the same median household income and Burke won it with almost 65%. And Racine isn't some sort of progressive hotbed or anything; it's a typical blue collar rust belt town. Across the midwest, Republicans win almost exclusively the shiny, suburban parts of metro areas and Green Bay is quite gritty. I would say Green Bay is conservative in a sense but not necessarily Republican.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 09:49:31 AM »

Nope.  Spokane County barely voted Romney, and the city of Spokane hasn't voted for a Republican Presidential candidate in recent history.

Obama 50,441 (54.5%)
Romney 39,214 (42.4%)
Other 2,923 (3.2%)

Neighboring Spokane Valley (pop. 91k) is pretty Republican, though: 53.9%-43.3% Romney.

From an on the ground perspective, Spokane is conservative mostly in comparison to Seattle. The city council has a 5-2 liberal majority, the RINO-ish Republican mayor's most traditionally GOP position is that he's cozy with the big exurban developers (I mean seriously, the guy is in favor of smart growth, police reform, has backed two revenue-raising ballot initiatives, has supported apprenticeship programs for city construction projects, etc.) and the city has a lot of people on disability and other government programs that might be more conservative culturally but certainly not economically.

The Valley is pretty right-wing, though its really just a bunch of strip malls. Zero character. The rest of the county is mostly just rural.

If you're looking for the true center of conservative population in WA, the Tri-Cities is a better bet.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »

Birmingham, AL; Jackson, MS; and South Boston, MA all voted Ford while their states (two of which are hardly liberal) went Carter. No examples since then that I know of.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies