AZ-SEN 2018: Sinema Paradiso
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:04:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2018: Sinema Paradiso
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 45
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2018: Sinema Paradiso  (Read 103816 times)
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: July 03, 2018, 09:44:05 PM »

Kyrsten Sinema is probably panicking at the fact that Atlas hates her latest Politico interview, along with her flailing poll numbers - oh wait, she's up by double digits. Atlas may hate it, but it's working. As Nancy Pelosi said - "Just win baby."
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #351 on: July 03, 2018, 09:48:39 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2018, 11:47:38 AM by Maxwell »

real talk - if Sinema ends up winning and is primariable next time by someone who could still win i'd go for it. But right now this campaign is gonna make me upset if i try to pay attention to it. so i won't. I hope Sinema wins because McSally, Ward, and Arpaio are maybe the worst three GOP candidates in the country that are not actively calling themselves Nazis. I despise them and they must be defeated.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »

Kyrsten Sinema is probably panicking at the fact that Atlas hates her latest Politico interview, along with her flailing poll numbers - oh wait, she's up by double digits. Atlas may hate it, but it's working. As Nancy Pelosi said - "Just win baby."

Literally nobody outside of hardcore partisan political junkies cares about her Politico interview, which actually runs counter to your own point. Her polling numbers were the same either way.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #353 on: July 04, 2018, 09:33:41 PM »

If winning the Senate this year wasn't so important, I'd honestly be rooting for Sinema to lose. The idea of being stuck with such deadweight for decades to come is painful.

She's running for Senate in Arizona, not Vermont.

She has to do what she has to do and there's nothing wrong with that.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2018, 10:34:23 PM »

If winning the Senate this year wasn't so important, I'd honestly be rooting for Sinema to lose. The idea of being stuck with such deadweight for decades to come is painful.

You're right, she's running in Arizona, not Oklahoma. She's running a more conservative campaign than Clare McCaskill
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2018, 10:44:11 PM »

Wow, quite possibly the only time LL has been reasonable.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #356 on: July 04, 2018, 11:23:09 PM »

You're right, she's running in Arizona, not Oklahoma. She's running a more conservative campaign than Clare McCaskill

Sinema is also doing better at this point than McCaskill.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #357 on: July 04, 2018, 11:40:40 PM »

I don't get why you posted this?

Schumer as the article pointed out gave $8 million to various other campaigns, and was one of the better DSCC campaign chairs. I don't think him choosing to spend money he raised for himself, in his own race is a bad thing.

Besides, this article just reaffirms Schumer's judgement- he didn't waste money on Murphy's deadwood campaign.

You really don't?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #358 on: July 05, 2018, 01:09:37 AM »

I don't get why you posted this?

Schumer as the article pointed out gave $8 million to various other campaigns, and was one of the better DSCC campaign chairs. I don't think him choosing to spend money he raised for himself, in his own race is a bad thing.

Besides, this article just reaffirms Schumer's judgement- he didn't waste money on Murphy's deadwood campaign.

You really don't?

Well I get why Solid posted it, I just disagree with the idea that Chuck wasn't a team player because he only gave up 80% of his committee money in 2016.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #359 on: July 05, 2018, 01:54:48 AM »

Yeah, clearly that's because she's running as a Conservadem and bashing some random New York Senator in Politico interviews, and not because she's running in a Trump +3 state rather than a Trump +18 state. And I'm sure the fact that her opponent is locked in a fierce and bitter primary while McCaskill's has been already set for like a year now has nothing to do with it either. Clearly it's all because of her right wing posturing that 80% of voters aren't even paying attention to.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #360 on: July 05, 2018, 10:12:41 AM »

Yeah, clearly that's because she's running as a Conservadem and bashing some random New York Senator in Politico interviews, and not because she's running in a Trump +3 state rather than a Trump +18 state. And I'm sure the fact that her opponent is locked in a fierce and bitter primary while McCaskill's has been already set for like a year now has nothing to do with it either. Clearly it's all because of her right wing posturing that 80% of voters aren't even paying attention to.

And what's wrong with "running as a Conservadem and bashing some random New York Senator"?

She ahead by a lot, so clearly, she knows what she's doing.

These days, you can't take anything for granted.
InheritTheWind

« Reply #361 on: July 05, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »

wtf, did you just make a-non "the sky is falling" comment about a Democratic candidate?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #362 on: July 05, 2018, 03:41:57 PM »

And what's wrong with "running as a Conservadem and bashing some random New York Senator"?

Even conceding that this helps Sinema (which it doesn't), "maximize your chance of winning at any cost" is a pretty f**king stupid strategy if you want a party that's actually able to implement any coherent policy once in power.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #363 on: July 05, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »

I have never been a fan of Chuck Schumer. Hopefully Democrats replace him with someone better.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #364 on: July 05, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »

I have never been a fan of Chuck Schumer. Hopefully Democrats replace him with someone better.

Agreed. Who should replace him?

Nancy Pelosi stepping down would even be more important to me than Schumer. I'd like to see Tim Ryan be Democratic leader or speaker in 2019 and Amy Klobuchar senate leader. Durbin should also step down, and Steyer of course.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #365 on: July 05, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »

Kirsten Gillibrand would make a great majority leader, but I doubt she's interested.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #366 on: July 05, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »

Kirsten Gillibrand would make a great majority leader, but I doubt she's interested.

She'd be Pelosi 2.0. Very unpopular.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #367 on: July 05, 2018, 03:57:20 PM »

Why, because she's a woman who's a progressive?

Any Democratic leader is going to be slandered by the GOP no matter how centrist and inoffensive they are. Might as well choose someone who isn't afraid to tell it like it is.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #368 on: July 05, 2018, 03:58:31 PM »

Any Democratic leader is going to be slandered by the GOP no matter how centrist and inoffensive they are. Might as well choose someone who isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

Gillibrand is a flip-flopper, and she doesn't come across as genuine.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: July 05, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »

Gillibrand is a flip-flopper, and she doesn't come across as genuine.

This. Plus she would likely be seen as an elitist. Democrats have better women in their ranks, like Amy Klobuchar or Maria Cantwell. Both are not older than 60 and have enough senate experience.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #370 on: July 05, 2018, 04:05:31 PM »

Most posters here would throw their favorite Senate Democrat under the bus the second the GOP ran a web only ad against them, lol.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: July 05, 2018, 04:22:54 PM »

"She's ahead by a lot, so clearly she knows what she's doing"

No actually, that's not clear at all.

Actually, she's doing quite poorly. Joe Manchin embraced Schumer and is ahead by the same amount as her despite running a state that is 40 points more Republican. So by my calculations, if Sinema only embraced Schumer, she'd be ahead by at least 50 points. Smiley

See, this is the type of of #analysis you get to when you refuse to consider other factors in outcomes. You could run the worst campaign ever and be the worst candidate ever in an R+50/D+50 district and still win in a landslide. In fact, it doesn't even need to be a district that insanely partisan: just look at Joe Walsh and Allen West. Terrible candidates with terrible campaigns, yet won anyway due to other factors such as the very pro Republican political environment and low Democratic turnout. There's zero evidence to suggest that Sinema would be doing any worse than she currently is if not for her "campaign strategy." It's hard for political junkies on Atlas to imagine, but the vast majority of people are not paying attention to campaigns in July, and they're not paying attention to Politico interviews ever.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #372 on: July 05, 2018, 04:27:26 PM »

Most posters here would throw their favorite Senate Democrat under the bus the second the GOP ran a web only ad against them, lol.

Yeah that's true. It's ridiculous how Schumer was praised by people from Warren to Manchin and he's already being thrown under the bus by panicking Democrats after being leader for less than 2 years.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #373 on: July 05, 2018, 04:38:06 PM »

Honestly: if you had to pick among the GOP caucus either now or in 2006- would anyone on Atlas pick Mitch as leader?

The things that we look for in senate leaders are generally not the most important traits. It needs to be someone popular in the caucus, uncontrovesial, good at raising money and who can be ideologically flexible (even if they hold strong views themselves)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #374 on: July 05, 2018, 04:38:45 PM »

Yeah that's true. It's ridiculous how Schumer was praised by people from Warren to Manchin and he's already being thrown under the bus by panicking Democrats after being leader for less than 2 years.

It's also odd how the lefties get off to the thought of ditching Pelosi when her replacement will almost certainly be more conservative. The fact that it's mostly moderates disowning her seals the deal on that.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies