Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:05:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75770 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: January 08, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »

My condelences to the families of those who have died. My hopes for those who have survived.

As for those ' politiking' on all sides go outside, take a walk and thank yourself you're not part of this tragedy.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »

I hardly agree that what Palin tweets can "incite a riot," or encourages non-psychotics to participate in one.

My biggest fear is that the Left will allow make use of the antics of a psychotic to suppress through government (eg. some injunction or executive order) the speech of people who already believe that the left uses government to infringe on their rights of association and expression. The Justice department hacking Palin's tweets, for ex., would undoubtedly instigate popular violence.

The fact you 'fear' this will happen says a lot about your state of mind.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:50:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He is a self-professed homosexual, so I find that unlikely. Perhaps he was trying to impress Clay Aiken?

If you're taking that from his 'Facebook' page - sorry to say it's a hoax.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:07:14 AM »

Very seldom did I ever hear anything about the practical problems of Obama legislation.

Take the health program (which I support given no alternative...but it's still irresponsible.) The only thing the European press bothers to tell people is that it gives so and so many million people insurance. Nothing about structural flaws. Nothing about it's complete lack of cost control. And so on.

I've never seen any reporting about what real problems Obama's legislation has...the press is just like a fan group, cheering for anything they can get.

I don't know what press you were reading; the 'structural flaws' were discussed on the BBC, in the Telegraph, Guardian etc which I followed closely. They were reasoned discussions too. The impact of his presidency has also been explored in many media outlets and not always favourably; (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/crossingamerica/) Your recent sweeping comments on this page seem to be uncharacteristic of you.

On a wider note Franzl, remember that universal health care or at least accessable health insurance has been an ingrained part of western society in most nations since the war; to such an extent that it creates a broad political concensus across left and right in most countries. I would not therefore have expected the press or the wider public in Europe to take Obama to task for trying to introduce what most people in Europe would agree is a 'better' system than the one it replaced.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »

My argument isn't only about healthcare, though. I always get the feeling (in Germany at least) that Obama just can't be wrong (on domestic policy). He wants to help people, after all! If you oppose his agenda, then you must be an evil poor hating Republican!

Much of that attitude probably stems from the opposition to Obama that makes itself heard the loudest in the United States...and they are not moderate Republicans by any means.

There are many policies enacted (or not enacted...) by the Obama administration that jar with me too. But there comes a time (and alot of European conservatives seem to agree) that you cannot support the direction that a national conservative party takes (see Tories 1997-2003) because it has abandoned ideals, principles and sometimes reason in pursuit of a fantasy. It means that legitimate opposition from moderates and even Democrats to his agenda gets lost in the fog of dogwhistles and barnstorming and crocodile tears of a populist mob. That is what is seen so that is what is reported.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »

I did not quote Jefferson for the truth or falsity of his statement.  I quoted it to show, once again, that this supposed hateful rhetoric regarding the Second Amendment has been around for centuries.

Which Jefferson gave in 1787. The Second Amendment was ratified in 1791
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies