Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:19:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75762 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »

May the dead RIP and rest recover.......
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »

More info on Christina. She was the granddaughter of former MLB pitcher and Philadelphia Phillies manager Dallas Green and daughter of current Los Angeles Dodgers scout John Green. Hence an article about the shootings on ESPN.

Not criticizing your link in any way, but the only thing I needed to know about her is that she was 9. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:05:48 PM »

This thread makes me cry inside.
I'm not denying that there may have been a political motive, but the attitudes displayed by some posters in this thread is just disgusting.
Anyone who would use an event of violence like this to promote a political viewpoint is pathetic.
Period.

I'm disappointed by many here, yes.  It's best just to post your best wishes for the dead and survivors and skip the rest....believe me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 09:09:51 AM »

^Hey Opebo, you do realize that the thread you posted in about the new laws is over one year old right? This is not exactly a "new" policy.

No, but infracting the sh**t out of him in this thread because of whiners is.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »

It appears the shooter is invoking his 5th Amendment right......why is anyone surprised?

Sheriff says Ariz. rampage suspect not cooperating

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said Loughner was not cooperating and told ABC's "Good Morning America" the suspect had said "not a word" to investigators. Dupnik said authorities were all but certain Loughner acted alone, saying "he's a typical troubled individual who's a loner."

More here
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:57:11 AM »

It appears the shooter is invoking his 5th Amendment right......why is anyone surprised?

Sheriff says Ariz. rampage suspect not cooperating

Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said Loughner was not cooperating and told ABC's "Good Morning America" the suspect had said "not a word" to investigators. Dupnik said authorities were all but certain Loughner acted alone, saying "he's a typical troubled individual who's a loner."

More here

REPEAL!!11

Is it hyperbole to think someone might just do that, given all of the statements from politicians about legislation to be introduced as a result of this tragedy?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:36:22 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2011, 04:39:51 PM by Grumps »

Republicans are saying it's inappropriate at this time for politicians to talk about whether there are specific things it is inappropriate for politicians to talk about (or be "banned" from talking about.)

The AP is already running a story about what happens should the house declare her seat vacant, truly sick.

"If the House were to vacate Giffords' seat, Arizona law provides for a special election — both a primary and a general. The vacancy must occur at least six months before the next general election before a special election would be held, said Matt Benson, a spokesman for the Arizona Secretary of State's Office."

(c) ASSociated Press
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »

I certainly try my best to be a moderate hero.

"Moderate hero" is an insult.

Yeah, and I think sometimes I show signs of it.

Your agreement with Scott Brown's voting record lately is a fine example of it. Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 10:28:28 AM »

Two more victims.....sadly many won't view them as that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:16:06 AM »

It's always miserable to see what these kinds of incidents do to the parents of the kid gone crazy. It gets even worse when the family is explicitly attacked after the incident like happened with the father of the shooter in that Bavaria school some years back.

Yeah one never knows.......it's safe to say the moving truck will be arriving shortly, not necessarily out of fear for their safety (which is a legit fear, not necessarily from the locals, but others...), but there is no way these people can live the rest of their lives there.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:56:59 AM »

I thought the speech was excellent and quite appropriate, if not exactly matching the feelings of what normal people feel about the tragedy.  Of course, it was way too long, but that is to be expected.

This.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »

She's opening her eyes because the doctors are weaning her off sedation.

Kinda puts a buzzkill on Obama's announcement last night, eh?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »

A very smart lady, Ms. Giffords is.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 12:26:19 PM »

I think it should be played on TV......a LOT.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 08:49:14 AM »

He was a college drop-out, remember? The Super Wal-Marts were built for those people.

And for some who aren't drop outs....... Grin
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies