The real "What the hell?" moment of this whole SOTU mixed seating.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:49:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The real "What the hell?" moment of this whole SOTU mixed seating.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The real "What the hell?" moment of this whole SOTU mixed seating.  (Read 912 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »

I really don't care about the mixed seating. It's a nice thing to do and all that. That's great. Whatever. We all know it requires more than sitting together to get along but that point has been beaten to death.

What really had me scratching my head was Chuck Schumer's response to all of this. I just heard his quote about it today so forgive me if it has been discussed. Anyway, he praised Udall for the idea...and then Schumer, a Democrat, requested to sit next to Udall, also a Democrat.

Uh, what?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:15:48 PM »

It's not a strict boy-girl-boy-girl seating chart.  Rep-Dem-Dem-Dem-Rep-Dem-Rep-Rep is still better than Rep-Rep-Rep-Rep-Rep.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:56:22 PM »

It's not a strict boy-girl-boy-girl seating chart.  Rep-Dem-Dem-Dem-Rep-Dem-Rep-Rep is still better than Rep-Rep-Rep-Rep-Rep.

My point is that Schumer applauds the idea of bipartisanship and instead of volunteering to sit with any Republican, he volunteers to sit with another Dem. It just didn't make sense. You don't announce at a pres conference that you want to sit with the sponsor who happens to be of the same party.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:36:23 AM »

Maybe they wanted to make out during the show.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »

Schumer announced very early on that he was going to, and then he subsequently sat next to, Tom Coburn.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:20:55 PM »

Schumer announced very early on that he was going to, and then he subsequently sat next to, Tom Coburn.

Coburn and Schumer are kind of fond of each other. I senses that in the HCR summit Obama hosted. Coburn is a very interesting chap actually. He is not just another unimaginative fundie suspicious of cosmopolitanism.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that. Good for him. That actually made sense. The original bit of attention whoring he was guilty of totally missed the point though.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that. Good for him. That actually made sense. The original bit of attention whoring he was guilty of totally missed the point though.

Don't really see any attention whoring unless you think Coburn was guilty of the same thing.  They made the announcement together at an appearance on one of the Sunday news programs.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »

Don't really see any attention whoring unless you think Coburn was guilty of the same thing.  They made the announcement together at an appearance on one of the Sunday news programs.

Schumer made his initial announcement in a press conference, if I recall correctly. It was attention whoring because he was asking to sit with the sponsor of the idea (a fellow Democrat).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 12:26:07 AM »

i was rather surprised - what other pair could better represent opposing attitudes to earmarks - or more generally, the question of whether one's job as a Senator is to represent particular interests or to uphold a philosophical commitment
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies