School Standards Reform Bill (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:38:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  School Standards Reform Bill (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: School Standards Reform Bill (Failed)  (Read 8153 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2009, 07:36:50 AM »

After a week with 4 Ayes, 5 Nays and 0 Abstentions this amendment has failed. Please nobody comment on anything else until tonight after I'm back for work so we can get this to a final vote, ok? Tongue
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2009, 07:48:48 PM »

I hereby open up a final vote on the bill below. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Aye
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2009, 08:56:14 PM »

Nay
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2009, 09:25:22 PM »

Aye
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »

I like the bill but I think it violates the powers of the regions......

Abstain
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2009, 06:49:55 AM »

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2009, 06:59:14 AM »

Theres some room for maneouver in this bill so - Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2009, 07:07:22 AM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »

abstain
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2009, 09:20:43 AM »

With 5 Ayes, 1 Nay and 2 Abstentions this bill has passed. I hereby present it to the President for his signature.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »

Veto, I agree with Senator Marokai's opinion as voiced in the Sentinel for those curious.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »

Don't ask for a veo, or at least that's my recommendation. There's not the votes to override it. Wait until next Senate is what I say.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2009, 10:11:04 PM »

I intend to vote againest any veto override on a regional rights basis.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »

I intend to vote againest any veto override on a regional rights basis.

As do I, only, for the children. Smiley
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2009, 10:46:24 PM »

Veto, I agree with Senator Marokai's opinion as voiced in the Sentinel for those curious.

Here's a link to the article with Marokai's comments for those interested.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »

How does this, as Marokai said, pretend that if all kids work hard they will be successful. What is does is exactly what Marokai wants: it provides a basic standard of education that ensures that all children receive a well-rounded learning experience.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2009, 11:42:56 PM »

How does this, as Marokai said, pretend that if all kids work hard they will be successful.

By making the high school standards so strict and non-negotiable.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2009, 05:37:10 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2009, 05:45:53 AM by Senator Marokai Blue »

How does this, as Marokai said, pretend that if all kids work hard they will be successful.

Pretty much. I'm all for a well-rounded education and I think the vast majority of this bill is fine & dandy, but the high school section just seems like it's loading the work onto kids, and being entirely inflexible. It requires students do multiple courses in all sorts of subjects and languages, and electives, and mandatory PhysEd.

I've often talked to my mom and my grandparents about education and different subjects as I've grown up and gone through the school system, and my grandmother, a quite well educated woman, used to tell me that what I was doing around the 9-10th grade was something she only had to study if she was going to college!

Quite frankly, and forgive me if this sounds immature but, much of the junk you're taught around the end of the 10th grade through to graduation, is almost entirely unnecessary for most of us. I bet half of the adults on this site have completely forgot some of the advanced mathematics you're taught towards the end of the school unless they were planning on a career which would use that sort of information from the beginning. (And they spend the first year of college basically rehashing everything you learned at the end of high school anyway.)

Which, by the way, is my point. By the 11th and 12th grade we should be allowing students to drop and pick the classes they want to take (similar to the way college courses are selected), or only the classes they are most proficient in instead of forcing ALL of the students to do everything, in addition to electives and mandatory PhysEd. If someone is a star at World History and wants to be a historian or a professor, we shouldn't force him to take Calculus or Physics in the latter half of the high school years. Conversely, if a student is a complete math-whiz and wants to be a scientist, he shouldn't be forced to take advanced world history or advanced English, because I'm pretty sure by now these kids have a grasp on how to read and write, and a basic grasp of history as it's relevant to their lives.

Basically, we should stick with the one-size-fits-all approach, but make it more flexible and workable to the individual student and their individual talent. And by high school, shouldn't be wasting their time forcing them to climb ropes or run the track when there are: A. More important things they could be doing, and B. More effective ways to teach a healthy lifestyle.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2009, 11:01:05 PM by Vepres »

Pretty much. I'm all for a well-rounded education and I think the vast majority of this bill is fine & dandy, but the high school section just seems like it's loading the work onto kids, and being entirely inflexible. It requires students do multiple courses in all sorts of subjects and languages, and electives, and mandatory PhysEd.

I've often talked to my mom and my grandparents about education and different subjects as I've grown up and gone through the school system, and my grandmother, a quite well educated woman, used to tell me that what I was doing around the 9-10th grade was something she only had to study if she was going to college!

Quite frankly, and forgive me if this sounds immature but, much of the junk you're taught around the end of the 10th grade through to graduation, is almost entirely unnecessary for most of us. I bet half of the adults on this site have completely forgot some of the advanced mathematics you're taught towards the end of the school unless they were planning on a career which would use that sort of information from the beginning. (And they spend the first year of college basically rehashing everything you learned at the end of high school anyway.)

Which, by the way, is my point. By the 11th and 12th grade we should be allowing students to drop and pick the classes they want to take (similar to the way college courses are selected), or only the classes they are most proficient in instead of forcing ALL of the students to do everything, in addition to electives and mandatory PhysEd. If someone is a star at World History and wants to be a historian or a professor, we shouldn't force him to take Calculus or Physics in the latter half of the high school years. Conversely, if a student is a complete math-whiz and wants to be a scientist, he shouldn't be forced to take advanced world history or advanced English, because I'm pretty sure by now these kids have a grasp on how to read and write, and a basic grasp of history as it's relevant to their lives.

Basically, we should stick with the one-size-fits-all approach, but make it more flexible and workable to the individual student and their individual talent. And by high school, shouldn't be wasting their time forcing them to climb ropes or run the track when there are: A. More important things they could be doing, and B. More effective ways to teach a healthy lifestyle.

While I agree with you on this bill, I must play devil's advocate for a second. Many, if not most people don't know what career path they want to take until they're well into college. For example, if somebody wanted to be a historian, and took history classes in their Junior and Senior years, then went to college and decided they wanted to be an engineer, then all of the sudden they have to make-up those two high school years of math they missed plus the college mathematics.

I disagree with this bill mainly because of regional governments.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies