Dutchess County NY (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:03:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Dutchess County NY (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dutchess County NY  (Read 3347 times)
CountryClassSF

« on: January 27, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »

I noticed that Dutchess County,NY voted for Bush twice and then it went to Obama twice. This is the Hudson Valley and the Suburbs of NYC.  I thought that was a surprising development given its support of Bush in 2000 and 04. 

I wonder what caused that given that 2012 Swung Romney but still lost.

My best guess on Dutchess would be a demographic shift combined with just the general shift leftward in Presidential Elections among cities/suburbs since 2008.

A quick wiki search shows roughly 10% African American and 6% Latino.  I imagine that's grown a bit since the 2000 census, but I think it's just the tremendous racial shift in general in terms of who one votes for.

George W. Bush did quite well with Latinos in 2004, winning about 44% of them nationally.  Not sure about 2000 but I imagine it was still in the high 30s, low 40s range.  I believe Bush broke double digits among black voters as well. 

So, you have almost a 20% minority population in the county, going lockstep Democrat -- and this time had a lower turnout of white voters in New York-recipe for defeat for the GOP there
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies