Do the words in the bible have the same meaning...... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:34:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do the words in the bible have the same meaning...... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do the words in the bible have the same meaning......  (Read 2108 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:13:25 PM »

today they did when the books were written?

We had this horribly long discussion on "submit" and "submission".....i'm wondering if the definition/useage has changed in close to 1900+ years?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:01:25 PM »

Definitely not, which is why it confuses me so much when people take it so literally.

Me too.  This isn't me attacking people, my question is a serious one and I think one with merit.  Literalists are free to fire away at me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »

I really really don’t intend to chastise, but come on, people, this should be extremely obvious!

Chastise away, we don't mind, but what is logical and obvious is that words used today AND 1900 years ago might have different meanings/contexts then and now, AND, some words in the translations were put there because there was no literal translation, as Dibble nicely noted.

So it's not sooooooooo far-fetched.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 11:02:52 AM »

The way I interpret the question it is rather inspired by the discussion on submission than focused on that specific issue. And I don't think the question is neither idiotic or meritless in that context.

You're right, Gustaf.  The "submission" thread simply got me thinking about translations in general.  It was actually Dibble, I think, who mentioned it in that thread.   It wasn't an attempt to revive the old thread.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »

You’re a fraud.  And I don’t care if I get banned for saying so.

I hope nothing happens for you saying so.  I'm not offended in the slightest.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2010, 12:10:57 PM by Grumpy Gramps »

You’re a fraud.  And I don’t care if I get banned for saying so.

I hope nothing happens for you saying so.  I'm not offended in the slightest.

regardless if anything happens to me for saying so, you still will not address the points I made in the other thread, for you have no answer for them.  You will continue to duck the mountain of evidence presented.

I don't see how you can deny that even the most sincerely religious people have different interpretations of different words/passages, and will only accept that your interpretation is correct.  It's simply futile and we could go on for eternity.

I asked a simple question in this thread......and I think the answer to the initial question is clearly, no.

And, I've never claimed to be a religious scholar.....there is so much I don't know it's unreal.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »

Basically, if Gramps isn't going to debate you on this you're only allowed so many bait/gloat posts before you will have to content yourself with feeling victorious.

First off, I haven't even engaged in arguing.  I genuinely created this thread to learn.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »

Basically, if Gramps isn't going to debate you on this you're only allowed so many bait/gloat posts before you will have to content yourself with feeling victorious.

First off, I haven't even engaged in arguing.  I genuinely created this thread to learn.

Yes, I'm not really taking issue with you in this thread. I'm trying not to take a side on this, but I've been in the position myself where I feel that I've won a debate and the other person runs away from it. I've also been in the position of ignoring someone because I don't see debating them as worthwhile anymore.

I'm not judging who is "right" in this instance merely pointing out how to act assuming that you're right.

Agreed.......I applaud your patience with me Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies