The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:10:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 57188 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« on: July 26, 2014, 06:10:14 PM »

I saw Lucy.  I liked it.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:47:53 PM »

Boyhood.  One of the greatest films I have ever seen in my life.  A day later, I'm still in tears.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »

Bird man: great performances but other than that it wasn't that good. 2/4

Theory of everything: interesting story but apparently not very accurate. 2/4

Big eyes: burton at his best 3/4

Imitation game: brilliant 4/4
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »

The Great Beauty (La grande bellezza). Let's just say that the title is accurate, although there's so much more to it than that. For want of a better way of putting it, this is film. Paolo Sorrentino is an obscenely talented director and Toni Servillo is a ridiculously good actor. Go and see it at once.

The Great Beauty is indeed a truly fantastic film.  It's Californication without the fart jokes, but with a meaningful ending.

I'm planning to go see Inherent Vice this weekend.  While I felt The Master, Paul Thomas Anderson's latest film was all over the place, There will be blood remains the best film of the last 15 years at least.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 07:44:06 PM »

Saw Whiplash tonight. It exceeded my expectations mainly because I had no real interest in the subject so the fact that it held my attention for the full length is an accomplishment in itself. The ending scene was kind of cool but went on a bit too long. I don't know if he needed a love interest.

I agree The Imitation Game does have some very convenient Oscarbait movie formula cliches in it, but Cumberbatch was so good I really sort of glossed over it while watching it. It wasn't until much after did I think back and realize "wow, that obviously did not happen."

I really have no intention of watching Whiplash despite the great reviews.  I understand the criticism for The Imitation Game but the film was very engaging, especially for someone like myself who doesn't know much about Turing's life.

Some films that I saw this year that I would recommend were:
Finding Vivian Meier
Under the skin
Only lovers left alive
Bella vita
Moon Indigo
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 01:20:36 PM »

I haven't seen American Sniper and I have no intention of seeing it either.  But is it really as bad as this review claims it is?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »

I haven't seen American Sniper and I have no intention of seeing it either.  But is it really as bad as this review claims it is?

No. I didn't really feel like it was propaganda. It's just bland and full of cliches from better war movies.

I really wish Spielberg had stayed on the project as director instead of Eastwood. He apparently didn't want to make it much of a biopic and instead wanted the entire film to focus on a part of the book where Kyle is in battle against an enemy sniper that he couldn't locate. He dropped because he couldn't agree on the budget. Much more interesting idea for a movie right there.

Well after reading your response I was curious of who wrote the script, and apparently it was written by a Buffy the Vampire Slayer actor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies