Can Terry McAuliffe, Roy Cooper, and John Bel Edwards reinvigorate Southern Dems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:48:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can Terry McAuliffe, Roy Cooper, and John Bel Edwards reinvigorate Southern Dems
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Terry McAuliffe, Roy Cooper, and John Bel Edwards reinvigorate Southern Dems  (Read 1694 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »
« edited: November 22, 2016, 07:55:43 PM by bronz4141 »

They are the three Southern Democratic governors in the post-Obama era. Can they mobilize by teaching Democrats how to win Southern governor seats?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »

virginia is not southern in that classical sense anymore and roy cooper/JBE won cause their opponents shot themselves into the foot.

if the latter 2 are able to get re-elected we can talk, imho.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »

Terry McAuliffe lol no

And JBE and Cooper can only help their own states. If Democrats want to compete in the south, they should really contest Georgia's open seat. The runoff bites them, there is a clear path to victory by getting Obama's numbers in the rural black areas and Clinton's numbers in Atlanta's suburbs.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:58:50 PM »

Terry McAuliffe lol no

And JBE and Cooper can only help their own states. If Democrats want to compete in the south, they should really contest Georgia's open seat. The runoff bites them, there is a clear path to victory by getting Obama's numbers in the rural black areas and Clinton's numbers in Atlanta's suburbs.
The Democrats have a huge bench in Georgia: Jason Carter, Michelle Nunn, David Adelman, Roy Barnes, Mark Taylor, Thurbert Baker, Cathy Cox, and John Barrow. That's not even mentioning state legislators and Kasim Reed.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »

I think the Democrats need to start actually running solid candidates in states like TN, AL, MS, etc., and campaign as a "check" on the legislatures as sort of an inverse Charlie Baker.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 10:43:01 PM »

"The South" really isn't a monolithic grouping anymore.   The states on the south Atlantic are trending MUCH differently from the states in the Mississippi/Appalachia areas.   

I don't really think of JBE as much more than an anti-establishment vote really.   That plus the Louisiana economy got really messed up under Jindal.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 10:46:15 PM »

the crazy thing wasn't that JBE won, the crazy thing was that brownback didn't lose.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 10:50:29 PM »

John Bel might invigorate Louisiana Democrats, but it probably won't cross borders.

I could see a Democrat winning the Governorship in Georgia or Florida in 2018, but the other southron states i just don't see it - Alabama is too far gone at this point, South Carolina has a strong local party and the potential of either Trey Gowdy or Tim Scott running which makes it an automatic DOA, Tennessee is lol Tennessee.

And even in Florida and Georgia, both Governors potentially would look way different than John Bel Edwards - Georgia's potential Democrat Gov would be appealing to college educated whites and olds (i.e. Michelle Nunn or Jason Carter) while I suspect the next Democrat Governor of Florida is going to try to lower the margins in Northern and Central Florida while sweeping Southron Florida (I suspect John Morgan is the candidate to do that, or if he doesn't opt to do it, Gwen Graham).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »

John Bel might invigorate Louisiana Democrats, but it probably won't cross borders.

I could see a Democrat winning the Governorship in Georgia or Florida in 2018, but the other southron states i just don't see it - Alabama is too far gone at this point, South Carolina has a strong local party and the potential of either Trey Gowdy or Tim Scott running which makes it an automatic DOA, Tennessee is lol Tennessee.

And even in Florida and Georgia, both Governors potentially would look way different than John Bel Edwards - Georgia's potential Democrat Gov would be appealing to college educated whites and olds (i.e. Michelle Nunn or Jason Carter) while I suspect the next Democrat Governor of Florida is going to try to lower the margins in Northern and Central Florida while sweeping Southron Florida (I suspect John Morgan is the candidate to do that, or if he doesn't opt to do it, Gwen Graham).

+1. When i looked at presidential numbers in Florida's Panhandle, for example - the were atrocious. In fact - remove 3 westernmost counties - and Clinton wins. 10% in Holmes (with all talk about racism in this very conservative, but - formerly Democratic, county it's 5-6% below Obama's level), less then 20 - in Liberty (with 75% Democratic registration and still mostly Democratic on county government level) - again about 8% below Obama. IF Democrats will lose so much there - no margins from Dade, Broward and Orange will save them...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 12:39:47 AM »

+2

Beebe is a much better role model than McAuliffe and Cooper. Edwards' future is up in the air. Trump midterm-ish might help him. But only time will tell.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 01:14:15 AM »

McAuliffe is headed the way of McDonnell I'm afraid.

Hold the phone on Cooper, that's not set in stone and the legislature might well be that unhinged.

So that leaves Edwards, best he can do is maybe slow a non-NE Kennedy down on the way to the Senate and keep Campbell competitive.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 05:02:06 AM »

As disappointed as I was with much of this election, I'm so happy all three southern states I've lived in will have Democratic Governors! Cheesy
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »

Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 01:36:40 PM »

Well said. I agree with everything here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies