Fox News does it's patriotic duty again. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:35:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Fox News does it's patriotic duty again. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fox News does it's patriotic duty again.  (Read 1465 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: August 24, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »

Oh, Fox News...to be fair any other major player in American journalism would've done the same thing. But still.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

...I'm not following, Morgan.  No one's calling the Seal Team 6 guy a traitor, they're making fun of FOX for revealing his identity?  What are you on about?

I'm mocking the whole "hang the traitors" contingent that calls for B. Manning's head on a platter.

We don't want it on a platter, just under six feet of soil.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:10:06 PM »

...I'm not following, Morgan.  No one's calling the Seal Team 6 guy a traitor, they're making fun of FOX for revealing his identity?  What are you on about?

I'm mocking the whole "hang the traitors" contingent that calls for B. Manning's head on a platter.

That's what he gets for defying the Holy U.S. Government!

No; that's what he gets for espionage, which is what remaining in the military, when he could have quit at any time, for the sole purpose of leaking classified documents (which don't show anything illegal being done) is. Depending on whether the leaked documents actually caused the deaths of US servicemen (which is plausible, but a quick Google glance didn't confirm or deny it), this would also be a clear case of voluntary manslaughter.

So, if we oppose the political leanings of someone, we may want him six feet under?
So, how would you react if I said I wanted Glenn Beck or Pat Robertson six feet under?
You did the same thing.

No, I didn't; Manning's political convictions don't matter. He has committed a crime for which I believe the death penalty is the fair punishment -- in any case, the prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty. As for wanting Glenn Beck or Pat Robertson six feet under, that's a natural reaction to listening to them; I perfectly understand and sympathize. I'm not a Moral Majority Republican.

So, if we oppose the political leanings of someone, we may want him six feet under?
So, how would you react if I said I wanted Glenn Beck or Pat Robertson six feet under?
You did the same thing.

It's not the same -- Beck and Robertson didn't do anything the government holds to be "treason" against it.

By being allies of neoliberals, they betrayed their listeners by making them vote for policies that hurt them.

Being allies of neoliberals is only commendable; the problem with Robertson, especially, is that he made them vote for the right party but for the wrong reasons. This thread isn't really about economics, so you can just insert a generic "neoliberalism is awesome!" comment here; if you have a specific criticism, I'll be glad to reply to that.

They betrayed their listeners and the people of the United States by being pawns of the big corporations.

And, obviously, everything would be much better if we could just tax the big corporations more and poor the money into a social safety net. Snark, in case it wasn't obvious.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »

If he was an employee of some corporation and leaked documents showing that the company was involved in the blood diamond trade, with information that might put some people at risk, nobody would be calling for him to be executed.  Yet somehow because it's the government, he deserves to suffer.

Because a corporation is subjugated to a government; the government dispenses justice (this is one of the very few strands connecting literally all government everywhere) and the government gets to decide whether or not the person who leaked documents about the corporation has done something wrong. Because the fundamental role of government is to protect you (which the American government does better than the vast majority of governments), betraying a government is particularly egregious, especially since he was actually being paid by the government at the time.

Overall, I'm not sure I even take offense to him being called a "traitor," given how I love treason when it's committed against states.

I could launch a critique of anarchism now about why such a position makes no sense whatsoever, but obviously neither of us will convince the other.

I'd be tempted to call Adrian Lamo a traitor for snitching on Manning.

Lamo should probably receive some sort of symbolic gesture for revealing Manning, to encourage others to do the same.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies