Which election loser learned the most from their loss and which the least?

(1/4) > >>

President Johnson:
Which losing side in a presidential election learned the most of their defeat for the next election? And which didn't? Over the past few cycles, I read that both Democrats and Republicans "didn't learn their lesson" from the previous loss.

I think 1992 is an example of which Democrats learned the most from their 1988 loss. At least Bill Clinton's strategy playbook took a lot of notes from the 1988 autopsy. Not sure which side (and when) learned the least. What comes to mind is Republicans blatently ignoring the findings of the post-2012 election autopsy, but irnocally they won in 2016 regardless. Maybe 2024 is a contender whoever loses, but especially for Republicans by nominating a proven loser again (who not only lost in 2020, but also was an albatross around his party's neck in 2018 and 2022).

OSR stands with Israel:
For democrats:

Most : 1988
Least : 1968

For republicans:

Most : 1996
Least : 2020

randomusername:
Democrats:

Most: 1988 (although I don't care for Clinton's 3rd way, it was probably the best path for relevancy)

Least: 1952

Republicans:

Most: My initial reaction was 1964 but given how Wallace makes things complicated I'm not sure. 1976 also could be a candidate.

Least: 2012, Trump did end up winning but they didn't learn anything from the 2012 autopsy

Ashley Biden's Diary:
I mean, the 2012 GOP autopsy turned out to incorrect, no? 2016 showed that the GOP could win without making inroads with minorities by expanding their vote share among non-college educated whites, and the 2020 results with Hispanics in TX & FL showed they can increase their share with said group without moderating on immigration.

Mr. Smith:
Most: Nixon after 1960.

Least: Pains me to say it, but WJB. No business running in 1908. At all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page