Sweet Sixteen Act of 2014 (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:45:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Sweet Sixteen Act of 2014 (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sweet Sixteen Act of 2014 (Law'd)  (Read 1946 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: July 08, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »

The age of majority is a term used to describe the age at which someone is considered an adult in society and all applicable privileges that come with adulthood are applied to that person.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »

1) Because 16 year olds work. Taxing 16 year olds without allowing them representation in government (by giving them the vote) is taxation without representation, something we fought a war over. Tongue Beyond that, 16 is a reasonable age for anyone to start being and independent member of society. We do too much babying and expect people to live at home and be dependent upon their parents for far too long.

2) Again, because 16 year olds are legally able to work. In Atlasia, we outlawed the labor of persons under 16 with the Fair Labor Standards Act of 2013, which is why I don't advocate reducing the age of majority below it. If you're old enough to work, you should be old enough to enjoy all the rights and privileges (and duties) that come with being an adult.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:03:36 PM »

Taxing someone's labor without allowing them to be represented is what is at issue here. A 10 year old cannot legally work, so the point is moot. The 10 year old in question does not, and should not provide for himself or herself. Beyond that, I doubt most 10 year olds are buying things themselves directly; most of the money they theoretically have access to comes directly from a parent or grandparent.

I never said I believed they were independent, I said that they should be independent by 16.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:46:02 AM »

I don't think that we should legislate into existence another class of persons without full rights, personally.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »

I don't think that we should legislate into existence another class of persons without full rights, personally.

Who said anything about legislating into existance? Does it not already naturally exist a state where people are older then children but too immature to be considered adults?

No, it's a concept that has kind of been created since the 1950s.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 08:23:17 AM »

Aye
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:53:52 AM »

I never thought this one would actually pass! Thank you all for your support.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies