Poor Kansas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:05:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Poor Kansas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Poor Kansas  (Read 974 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 03:43:28 AM »

Let's remember caucuses (aside of Iowa) are more likely to produce lopslided results than primaries. I wouldn't be surprised if NH ends up as Sanders' second best primary state after all.

Although, given that NH, thanks to it's voting early, is rarely lopsided, Sanders' win there was still impressive.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 03:51:11 AM »

I know.  I'm only warning those caucus areas may be extremely low turnout or, where that's plausible, have a way disproportionate share of white voters.  I'm not saying I think Sanders probably lost Native voters -- that can't be inferred from the data.  I'm just saying be careful with the confidence of the inference.

On the other hand, it's pretty damn obvious that Sanders must have done at least decently with non-whites in Hawai'i.

I think in order to average around 80% in the bush districts, he must have won Natives big.

Let's remember caucuses (aside of Iowa) are more likely to produce lopslided results than primaries. I wouldn't be surprised if NH ends up as Sanders' second best primary state after all.

Although, given that NH, thanks to it's voting early, is rarely lopsided, Sanders' win there was still impressive.

Obviously for Bernie to have a shot at the nomination, NH needs to demoted from 2nd place among primary states.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 04:43:55 AM »

I know.  I'm only warning those caucus areas may be extremely low turnout or, where that's plausible, have a way disproportionate share of white voters.  I'm not saying I think Sanders probably lost Native voters -- that can't be inferred from the data.  I'm just saying be careful with the confidence of the inference.

On the other hand, it's pretty damn obvious that Sanders must have done at least decently with non-whites in Hawai'i.

I think in order to average around 80% in the bush districts, he must have won Natives big.

I think it's quite likely he did, but I'm also saying that the (likely small) Native turnout in those areas may not be broadly representative.  When turnout in areas is very low, you can get into "five people who know each other and one guy who randomly showed up" territory.  I'm not asserting this is probable -- when someone wins a heavily Native area with 80% of the vote, they're probably quite popular with Natives -- I'm just noting things that make some inferences we draw from the data a lot less reliably conclusive.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 04:49:07 AM »

Ben Carson won a Native-heavy district in Alaska. I guess he has great appeal to them too.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies