COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 09:58:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 267803 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2800 on: May 27, 2020, 12:53:38 PM »

Anybody who doesnt wear a mask in public places should be arrested for reckless endangerment. Plain and simple.
And no that's not fascism, it's called saving lives! Right wingers should be ashamed of themselves.

Yeah, because that trope hasn’t been done before.

https://youtu.be/eXWhbUUE4ko
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2801 on: May 27, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »

Anybody who doesnt wear a mask in public places should be arrested for reckless endangerment. Plain and simple.
Who is being endangered?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2802 on: May 27, 2020, 01:01:13 PM »

A bit concerning how fast people will embrace authoritarianism.....

I support mask wearing, but prison time for violators? Lordy.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2803 on: May 27, 2020, 01:27:57 PM »

No it's called people who want to save lives vs people who care more about going to a football game then protecting people around them!

When did I say anything about football games? I could care less about the football games.

We have to have ideas that are realistic and workable.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2804 on: May 27, 2020, 01:36:00 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-york-health-website-deletes-cuomos-order-on-nursing-homes
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2805 on: May 27, 2020, 01:48:39 PM »

I definitely get people feeling impatient (my county probably isn't going to be moving to phase 2 soon, since we're already above the "10 new cases per 100,000 in two weeks" threshold set for June 1st), but my county has also been seen as a model of how to address this crisis. Washington was the epicenter back in early March, and since then, we've dropped from 1st in total cases to 20th, and well below the national average. Taking this slowly and being careful might be frustrating, but it's pretty clearly literally saved lives.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #2806 on: May 27, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2807 on: May 27, 2020, 03:03:53 PM »

And no that's not fascism, it's called saving lives! Right wingers should be ashamed of themselves.

Anybody who demands jail time for people who choose not to wear masks in public should be stripped of their citizenship and deported. Since I cant make that happen, I'll settle for putting you on ignore. Later.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2808 on: May 27, 2020, 03:44:58 PM »

No it's called people who want to save lives vs people who care more about going to a football game then protecting people around them!

When did I say anything about football games? I could care less about the football games.

I would also add that people aren't protesting against or criticizing the lockdown orders because they "care about football games" or "want to get a haircut." Many people's livelihoods are on the line if the economy is not reopened in due order, and this is to say nothing of the demonstrated psychological impacts which this is having for many. Essential surgeries have been delayed; the education of millions of children has been negatively affected; and unemployment rates have climbed to unprecedented levels. Bringing about the end of lockdown orders will alleviate the stresses that many are dealing with right now.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2809 on: May 27, 2020, 03:57:11 PM »

Disney just released their plans for reopening starting July 11th:

all crowd based events like fireworks, parades and character meet and greets will no longer be a thing
Temp checks and face masks required

severely reduced capacity and everyone must make a reservation to gain access to the parks

You will no longer be able to go to a counter to order food it must be done on the Disney App

Cast members will not be able to interact with guests unless directly required to

So like the pin trading/just regular friendly gestures won't be able to happen anymore

Reduced capacity on rides and special events will no longer be a thing.

More emphasis on outdoor dining/stands
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2810 on: May 27, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2811 on: May 27, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »

Do we know what time of year the pneumonia deaths were? If those deaths were before March, would it mean coronavirus was already widespread in Florida very early in the year?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2812 on: May 27, 2020, 04:31:05 PM »

I would also add that people aren't protesting against or criticizing the lockdown orders because they "care about football games" or "want to get a haircut." Many people's livelihoods are on the line if the economy is not reopened in due order, and this is to say nothing of the demonstrated psychological impacts which this is having for many. Essential surgeries have been delayed; the education of millions of children has been negatively affected; and unemployment rates have climbed to unprecedented levels. Bringing about the end of lockdown orders will alleviate the stresses that many are dealing with right now.

Except ending lockdowns isn't like flipping a switch on economic activity. The lockdowns aren't, nor were they ever, the primary thing slowing down spending; it was the virus itself.

The maddening thing about the discourse on this topic is we have ample evidence that economic activity was falling in early March, weeks before any shutdowns were issued. People, especially older people, immuno-compromised people, or anyone living with a person with those conditions, are going to change their behavior when confronted with a generational threat like the virus.

In the most generous interpretation I can think of, people attribute all of the economic loss to the shutdowns (or to the Chinese, Trump, governors, etc.) because bad events are easier to be upset about when they are human caused. But, sometimes bad things just happen. We're in the middle of what is an unprecedented bad thing. There could have been very different responses which would have changed at the margins, but most of the damage we saw in March and April were inevitable because of the nature of the threat itself.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2813 on: May 27, 2020, 05:41:58 PM »

Except ending lockdowns isn't like flipping a switch on economic activity. The lockdowns aren't, nor were they ever, the primary thing slowing down spending; it was the virus itself.

The maddening thing about the discourse on this topic is we have ample evidence that economic activity was falling in early March, weeks before any shutdowns were issued. People, especially older people, immuno-compromised people, or anyone living with a person with those conditions, are going to change their behavior when confronted with a generational threat like the virus.

In the most generous interpretation I can think of, people attribute all of the economic loss to the shutdowns (or to the Chinese, Trump, governors, etc.) because bad events are easier to be upset about when they are human caused. But, sometimes bad things just happen. We're in the middle of what is an unprecedented bad thing. There could have been very different responses which would have changed at the margins, but most of the damage we saw in March and April were inevitable because of the nature of the threat itself.

I'm not denying that the pandemic has had its own impact upon economic activity, and that many people took action of their own before governments did so. But the governmental response to this certainly exacerbated the pandemic's effects. I think the lockdown orders were reasonable early on because of the unknowns that were attached to this. But, now that we know much more about the virus, the range of outcomes associated with it, and its infection rates, I don't think that we are justified in maintaining the current situation, as it were. Removing many of these restrictions won't mean an automatic resumption of all economic activity that has been disrupted by this, but keeping them in place will only inflict more pain upon the individuals who have suffered enough already.

I certainly do not believe that some of the policies implemented-i.e. some of the mundane social distancing restrictions in public places like one-way aisles and the like-should be continued indefinitely. If anything, I think we ought to continue maintaining a robust testing apparatus, encouraging rigorous sanitary practices, and maintaining restrictions on larger gatherings of people. And there should be a definitive timetable to allow for such events to resume, and for school districts to resume this fall. We can't wait until there is a vaccine before we have a full resumption of normal activity-the "new normal" shouldn't be allowed to be permanent.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2814 on: May 27, 2020, 06:04:01 PM »

I mean, what the actual f**k

This reinforces every known stereotype about NASCAR fans.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2815 on: May 27, 2020, 06:11:44 PM »

And no, opposition to the lockdown orders is not merely confined to "Republicans" or to the "right". Even many left-leaning types and "Democrats" have become increasingly skeptical in recent weeks, and have disagreed with many of the actions which have been implemented.

I think it's no longer left versus right, but authoritarians (particularly the media) versus the rank-and-file.

Can't say I agree Calthrina. I'm a newsworthy level I can't think of even a relatively minor Democrat or other liberal expressing from criticism or even suspicions about the continued lockdown orders. Anecdotally at least, Bandit is the only leftist on Atlas Tua firmly expressed opposition Raven skepticism, and he's frankly always been a fringe type even around here.

what are you basing your opinion on?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2816 on: May 27, 2020, 06:17:27 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2020, 06:22:47 PM by Calthrina950 »

And no, opposition to the lockdown orders is not merely confined to "Republicans" or to the "right". Even many left-leaning types and "Democrats" have become increasingly skeptical in recent weeks, and have disagreed with many of the actions which have been implemented.

I think it's no longer left versus right, but authoritarians (particularly the media) versus the rank-and-file.

Can't say I agree Calthrina. I'm a newsworthy level I can't think of even a relatively minor Democrat or other liberal expressing from criticism or even suspicions about the continued lockdown orders. Anecdotally at least, Bandit is the only leftist on Atlas Tua firmly expressed opposition Raven skepticism, and he's frankly always been a fringe type even around here.

what are you basing your opinion on?

As I've said before, there has been, and continues to be, a partisan divide between Democrats and Republicans over this issue. I cited a poll some weeks ago in which 62% of Republicans said that they wished for normal economic activity to resume. As of right now, I would say that the majority of Democrats and those on the left support these orders. The point I was trying to make is that opposition to the lockdown isn't solely coming from the right or from Republicans, and in recent days, Democratic Governors in some states (i.e. Newsom in California and Wolf in Pennsylvania) have begun lifting some of the restrictions which have been imposed, due to popular pressure.

In Pennsylvania in particular, some Democratic lawmakers called for Wolf to allow for curbside delivery for retail businesses (https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/05/democratic-lawmakers-push-gov-tom-wolf-to-allow-all-retail-businesses-in-pa-to-offer-curbside-service.html), which he hadn't permitted previously. And I'm not going to cast aspersions on what Bandit3 has said here. I don't see him as "fringe" at all, and I certainly don't think it's wrong for people to reevaluate what has been done, given that we've now had two months of experience with this.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2817 on: May 27, 2020, 07:02:29 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2818 on: May 27, 2020, 07:05:42 PM »

Anybody who demands jail time for people who choose not to wear masks in public should be stripped of their citizenship and deported. Since I cant make that happen, I'll settle for putting you on ignore. Later.
And you even dare call anyone else a partisan hack?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2819 on: May 27, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »

This is messed up:

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2820 on: May 27, 2020, 07:22:29 PM »

Who is being endangered?

I have a hard time believing you don't know what he's taking about.

Maybe that was sarcasm.

Pretty sure he didn't call for jail time.

Disney just released their plans for reopening starting July 11th:

Reduced capacity on rides and special events will no longer be a thing.

What does that mean?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2821 on: May 27, 2020, 07:26:12 PM »

Latest US vs. European case and death charts

Big spike in US deaths today.  As expected, I suppose, but I was still hoping for a week-over-week decrease compared to ~1400 last Wed.  COVIDTracking (used by Nate Silver) is reporting only around 1200 deaths, but Worldometers (which I use) is reporting over 1500.

In any case, European average weekly deaths dropped 40% (!) this week compared to last, while US average death dropped just under 25%, representing the best week yet on both sides of the pond.

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2822 on: May 27, 2020, 07:30:52 PM »

I'm very pessimistic about a Vaccine before Summer 2021, if I am being quite honest. The data we're getting from the early candidates isn't exactly great, it's good, but not great
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2823 on: May 27, 2020, 07:36:12 PM »

I’m sure a minority of the protestors are concerned about their jobs, but more of them seem to protesting out of some rather twisted idea of freedom/to own the media/libs/insert-group-here.

The economic damage of the lockdowns are real, but if that is truly what these people were concerned about, they would be more than happy to promote mask-wearing (so we don’t have to keep closed down) and to social distance so that they can get back to work without fear of a resurgence (and a potential second lockdown)
It’s common sense and has the added benefit of not killing granny.

Maybe I am expecting too much when I expect the working American to think rationally, but I just don’t think the protestors are really the ones who are suffering the most economically. It seems more like a middle finger to the “evil media/elites” than anything.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2824 on: May 27, 2020, 07:37:57 PM »

I’m sure a minority of the protestors are concerned about their jobs, but more of them seem to protesting out of some rather twisted idea of freedom/to own the media/libs/insert-group-here.

The economic damage of the lockdowns are real, but if that is truly what these people were concerned about, they would be more than happy to promote mask-wearing (so we don’t have to keep closed down) and to social distance so that they can get back to work without fear of a resurgence (and a potential second lockdown)
It’s common sense and has the added benefit of not killing granny.

Maybe I am expecting too much when I expect the working American to think rationally, but I just don’t think the protestors are really the ones who are suffering the most economically. It seems more like a middle finger to the “evil media/elites” than anything.

You make a great point here. These numbskulls are actually undermining their "cause" here.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies