VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:40:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 164561 times)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« on: January 06, 2017, 02:15:38 AM »
« edited: January 06, 2017, 02:19:04 AM by Chickenhawk »

I am genuinely curious as to why Perriello is considered progressive.

For me, at least, this video/policy statement is a pretty good summation of why I think that he's One Of Us.

His economic analysis is spot on. Like, I'm always genuinely shocked by the number of Dems who aren't even willing to say that globalization hurts people, or automation isn't *about* to hurt people.

Also, tbh, gun control isn't a Prog be-all-end-all issue, it's a Liberal be-all-end-all issue. And that's a pretty hot take, but I'll stand by it.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »

Another point: If Perriello wins the Governor's race, he is immediately my hands-down favorite for 2020.

I think this is his only real selling point over Northam, personally

Perriello's been out of public view for a long time now.  That usually doesn't auger well.

He gets a full year in the spotlight if he wins before he has to declare. Plus, he has a lot of built up goodwill from prog activists.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:27:49 PM »

Yeah, what is Perriello's "disturbing" record on environmental issues?

I think he voted for an omnibus something or other that included offshore drilling.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2017, 05:18:05 PM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

Ben Pershing of the National Journal has a noteworthy observation:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trying to Kremlinologize the opposition always strikes me as fruitless.

Do they want to face Perriello, so they're trying to artificially raise his profile? Or do they actually see him as dangerous, so they're attempting to EITHER actually damage him OR provoke this kind of FUD on the Dem side. No matter their motivation, their action (attacking a candidate) looks the same.

And even if you can figure out their intent, your opponent isn't any smarter than you are. HRC picked her opponent this cycle. She lost. Should the GOP (all value judgements aside) have not nominated Trump because Clinton wanted to face him?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 01:13:12 AM »

Tom Perriello went to NBC & said the AHCA put state Republicans on notice & that it will put more state legislatures in play. He challenged Ed Gillespie to take the pledge to not take the waiver on pre-existing conditions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXps6qYSQtM

Come to think about it, the AHCA does give state-level Democrats a somewhat potent line of attack. Even if the bill ultimately doesn't end up passing (or is made substantially less horrifying), it is still an angle to hit them on for this year's limited elections.

And even in 2018, should the Senate bill still contain the waiver, it's a lot more powerful to say, "Your Governor, X McRepublican, elected to make you pay more on health insurance," than other more abstract attacks.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »

Lol, Warner isn't retiring. Nobody wants that either.

Trust me. A LOT of people want that.

(Maybe not Virginians, but you know.)
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »

Turnout is apparently abysmal on the Republican side. Enough for an upset? We'll see.

The Sothron Avenger might have his day! Lol

Looks like my friend's choice to vote tactically against Stewart might have been smarter than I thought.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies