1948 President Henry Wallace Vs Governor Thomas Dewey (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 09:03:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1948 President Henry Wallace Vs Governor Thomas Dewey (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1948 President Henry Wallace Vs Governor Thomas Dewey  (Read 3729 times)
gorkay

« on: November 06, 2007, 05:34:36 PM »

There sure is a lot of interest in 1948 on the boards. We've got a Truman-Stassen timeline, my own Taft-Wallace one, and now this Wallace-Dewey one.

A lot would have depended on how Wallace did in office from '45 to '48. It's true that he wound up pretty far to the left by '48 (at least by American political standards) IRL, but that might not have happened if he had been President. The need to try to govern effectively usually drives Presidents toward the center politically, and as I speculated in my own timeline, this might have happened to Wallace too. That he might have had such proclivities is verified by the fact that IRL, he had moved back toward the middle by '52 and in fact was by then very much anti-Soviet. So if he had been able to establish a record as a mainstream, new Deal-type liberal (as Truman did), he might have had a shot at winning in '48.

In your scenario the conservatives wouldn't have had much of a choice, unless they wanted to go for Thurmond.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies