Earliest time for a gay president? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:28:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Earliest time for a gay president? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Earliest time for a gay president?  (Read 11884 times)
Mint
YaBB God
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:58:59 PM »

I could see it as early as 2032, but that's really pushing it. More likely around 2036-2044. By that point most of the Boomers will be either a) dead or b) too decrepit/senile to make it to the polls.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2009, 07:40:32 PM by Mint »

I could see it as early as 2032, but that's really pushing it. More likely around 2036-2044. By that point most of the Boomers will be either a) dead or b) too decrepit/senile to make it to the polls.

Really, I think it'll be the 2090's, just because when I was in high school at my school everyone made fun of gay people. It's kinda sad.
I doubt it, attitudes have changed very rapidly. Even among the general population, gay marriage has 39-44% support by now among the general population (>70% for 18-35 year olds) in addition to high support for opening the military and anti-discrimination laws. That's pretty remarkable considering bi/homosexuality was a 'mental illness' into the '70s. If we keep up the current pace gay marriage will probably be legal and treated the same was a 'inter racial' marriage in another 15-20 years. And considering what's going in Rhode Island (and elsewhere) I'd say openly gay governors aren't out of the question for the Northeast and West Coast this decade...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies