A theory regarding Trump and Fake News
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:38:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A theory regarding Trump and Fake News
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A theory regarding Trump and Fake News  (Read 270 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »

It's just a wild guess, but I got this thought: The recent fake news about the Tillerson firing don't seem an accident to me. My theory is that Donald Trump and his inner circle deliberately spread fake news with the purpose of deny the same later and accuse the media of fake reporting. The perfidious strategy behind this is simply to destroy the media's credibility. Once that is done, he thinks he can get away with lies, false statements and potential other misbehavior; let alone the whole Russia investigation.

Thoughts on that?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 09:58:10 AM »

That's actually not wild at all CNN back in May brought this topic up
elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »

It's just a wild guess, but I got this thought: The recent fake news about the Tillerson firing don't seem an accident to me. My theory is that Donald Trump and his inner circle deliberately spread fake news with the purpose of deny the same later and accuse the media of fake reporting. The perfidious strategy behind this is simply to destroy the media's credibility. Once that is done, he thinks he can get away with lies, false statements and potential other misbehavior; let alone the whole Russia investigation.

Thoughts on that?
I think its mostly true. I think it's slightly more complex because they also float information to see how it might play to their base. If they don't think it's a good idea, then it's fake news all the way.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »

The same way baseball teams float trade rumors to see if their fans like the idea.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »

I think it's still likely that Tillerson gets replaced, but you are right that this deliberate spreading of fake news might happen. I still remember when he addressed Congress for the first time, and there was a rumor that he would call for immigration reform.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »

I think it's still likely that Tillerson gets replaced, but you are right that this deliberate spreading of fake news might happen. I still remember when he addressed Congress for the first time, and there was a rumor that he would call for immigration reform.

I agree with this assessment. Tillerson will not stay until half of this term is up, possibly not even to spring next year. Maybe thethe fake news on his dismissal was also aimed at Tillerson himself that he voluntarily quits.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »

Thoughts on that?
The main problem with this argument is that it is based on rational thought and the idea that Trump has a well thought-out strategy. That just doesn't seem very likely. It seems much more likely that the reports were completely true and that the firing of Tillerson has been postponed or cancelled altogether to spite the press and claim that it is all fake news.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »

It is plausible but the OP's theory almost has to rely on the presumption that he knows he is misbehaving, which I doubt. It seems unlikely to me that Trump makes calculated moves.

He acts based on impulse and doubles down on it, as the ghostwriter says.
Everything is a war to him. There are those that serve him and those that don't.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »

I have heard Trumplicans call this 4d chess. not sure how valid it is though
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »

I think he got as far as he did because of luck and the factors of the electorate.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 02:23:31 PM »

No. If anything it is zero dimensional chess.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies