Barbara Mikulski
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:07:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Barbara Mikulski
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Barbara Mikulski  (Read 5094 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2007, 10:30:37 AM »

I've made the point before - but Steele came closer than any Republican has in getting elected to the Senate from Maryland since 1976 or thereabouts.  He lost 54%-44%, but the race was anamoly in that it was one in a Kerry state that was closer than the latter's victory there two years earlier.  The fact that it was 2006 and Steele could come that close makes me think that even if he couldn't win in say an open-seat election in 2010, he could make it close again.  Nor do I really understand how his name has been 'tarnished' since the election. 
Apparently, race-baiting isn't cool.

Maryland has a large black population and Michael Steele is black so it is only natural that he attempts to appeal to that voting bloc. Besides Maryland's whites are pretty liberal to begin with.

"Vote for Michael Steele, he's black."

He's become a statewide joke over the overt racial tone his campaign took.

I haven't heard about Steele becoming a joke and I haven't heard so from people who are from Maryland.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2007, 10:31:52 AM »

"Vote for Michael Steele, he's black."

Barack Obama for America 2008
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2007, 11:21:50 AM »

Because, you know, Obama has run campaign ads with rappers endorsing him.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »

Just because Steele was trying to make a connection to young black voters doesn't mean he was trying to be a sectarian canidate.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007, 12:30:56 PM »

Maryland Whites are liberal. lolz. Glad to see me and the rest of my family came out as "told" by people here on this thread.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2007, 12:37:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure Obama, should he win the Democratic nomination, will be running on more than the fact that he is of mixed race because if that's all I does I don't see him getting very far

It was hardly of credit to Steele that leading African American Maryland Democrats endorsed him for scant reason other than the color of his skin, which he accepted most brazenly. It would have been, of course, politically legitimate for Republican Maryland African Americans, or, more importantly, those who agreed with him on most issues, to support Steele

Cardin's campaign was by no means brilliant. Its premise seemed pretty much "Vote Cardin and don't get a rubber-stamp for George W Bush". Nevertheless, it was a perfectly legitimate issue for Cardin to run, and be elected, on; however, crass some might have found it

The sooner 'race' is "de-salienized" as an issue, the better Smiley

Dave
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2007, 12:52:44 PM »

Maryland Whites are liberal. lolz. Glad to see me and the rest of my family came out as "told" by people here on this thread.

One example does not disprove a statement. I could use myself as an example that North Dakota whites are liberal.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2007, 12:55:21 PM »

Just because Steele was trying to make a connection to young black voters doesn't mean he was trying to be a sectarian canidate.

What else could it possibly mean? Rap certainly has no political relevance whatsoever.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2007, 03:26:01 PM »

And you don't think he eventually will?

Newsflash to the politically naive: Black Dems run campaigns based on their race moreso than black Republicans. If you don't think that inner city black Dem candidates haven't had radio/TV ads with rappers endorsing them or even rappers putting on shows at their events, you are clueless.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2007, 03:28:43 PM »

Newsflash to the politically naive: Black Dems run campaigns based on their race moreso than black Republicans.

Oh, oh, my favorites were the '02 Mayoral race in Newark, and last year's LA runoff with Jefferson, where the victor was the one best able to paint their opponent as the "white" candidate!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2007, 07:00:41 PM »

Newsflash to the politically naive: Black Dems run campaigns based on their race moreso than black Republicans.

Oh, oh, my favorites were the '02 Mayoral race in Newark, and last year's LA runoff with Jefferson, where the victor was the one best able to paint their opponent as the "white" candidate!

Booker vs. James was much worse than just "he's the white candidate" as you know. James believed that Booker was a Jew campaigning for "Bush, Franks and Schundler."
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2007, 07:55:43 PM »

Mikulski will only be 74, that is not quite an ancient, in 2010 and health permitting, I see no reason why she couldn't seek re-election and win handidly, just as she's always done

Dave
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2007, 08:02:26 PM »

Mikulski will only be 74, that is not quite an ancient, in 2010 and health permitting, I see no reason why she couldn't seek re-election and win handidly, just as she's always done

Dave

From what I've been hearing is that she wants to seek retirement from the Senate.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies