Paris Climate Conference thread: Nov. 30 thru Dec. 11, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:20:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Paris Climate Conference thread: Nov. 30 thru Dec. 11, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paris Climate Conference thread: Nov. 30 thru Dec. 11, 2015  (Read 2034 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »

Anything related to the Paris Climate Conference set to begin tomorrow, post it here:

World leaders arrive in Paris for climate conference

By Jethro Mullen, CNN
Updated 2:34 PM ET, Sun November 29, 2015

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 12:49:46 AM »

What do you all think of the idea put forth that George W. Bush made this Paris Climate Conference possible in the first place by insisting in Bali on the principle that developing countries like China and India do their fair share in reducing CO2 emissions as opposed to having the developed world carry the entire burden themselves?

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/paris-climate-talks-george-w-bush-216214
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 08:30:39 PM »

Developing world needs $1t for climate change

Published: 5:41 am, Tuesday, 1 December 2015

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/world/europe/2015/12/01/developing-world-needs--1t-for-climate-change.html#sthash.GhnYevO6.dpuf
Potus
Potus2036

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 09:27:22 PM »

Oren Cass throws cold water on the Paris talks without paying deference to climate skeptics.

Basic claim: The 'goals' are a farce in which developing countries claim the status quo or worse in order to ask for an incredible redistribution of wealth from the developed world. Enormous financial contrition on the part of developed countries for only marginal climate benefits.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:33:15 PM »

I wonder if my Logic professor will select that piece for my fallacy exam tomorrow.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:58:18 PM »

I wonder if my Logic professor will select that piece for my fallacy exam tomorrow.

Elaborate? It is basically saying that either the standards for developing countries are too low or the financial redistribution is too high. Nothing particularly fallacious.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »

Officials from around the world reach climate change draft agreement

By Greg Botelho, CNN
Updated 10:33 AM ET, Sat December 5, 2015

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 10:47:39 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2015, 10:49:47 AM by Frodo »

The final draft of the climate deal has been released, subject to subsequent approval by all and sundry:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/optimism-in-paris-about-final-text-of-global-climate-deal-216710#ixzz3u7cYMvja
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »

Wow who would have thought noted Low Energy Loser John Kerry would kick ass and take names as Secretary of States.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »

It looks as if all the nations at the climate conference have approved this historic accord:

Nations Approve Landmark Climate Accord in Paris

By CORAL DAVENPORT
DEC. 12, 2015

Angel of Death
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 03:35:42 PM »

The world could certainly use some good news right now.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 06:48:24 AM »

Indeed - now let's hope it's implemented.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »

'Hooray!! We agree to do whatever we want!!'

No wonder why they are so happy.

Crazy how this intellectual robbery works all over the world if you believe what can be said on some papers here and there, even something like The Guardian.

Everyone swallowing this, well, nothing.

'It's up to anybody to determine its own engagements and to respect them'

'It will be reviewed every 5 years, starting on 2023 or 2025'

And, great accomplishment of US diplomacy, lol, a US negociator was almost proudly saying it on TV:

'We managed to obtain that this isn't 'we have to subside developping countries' but 'we should'...

People say they do that to make it swallow to US GOP Congress, yeah, maybe, but then in the end, it dies anyways, then don't take the responsibility of the murder.

That soooooo brilliant Paris summit might, hopefully, be the one that will show that worldwide consensual agreements are some things that don't make sense and mostly a loss of time to entertain media.

All of this is soooooo French moreover, a big impressive show in the foreground, not to speak about the fact that France has a big historical tradition for being at the core of big diplomatic gatherings, maybe one of the last thing that's left to this country, but, anyhow, don't bother looking the background...

Just for one thing, for each round of French régionales elections, which took place right at the beginning and the end of COP21, Hollande each time made one hour jet to go, and one hour to go back, to spend 10 minutes to vote in Tulle, in the middle-south of France, and in the media people apprently found it more or less normal...

Green France for a Green World!

Well, nah, Green really isn't the rising color here, and maybe not only here, lately...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 06:25:02 PM »

I was kind of wondering when you guys were going to get the memo that this conference will work exactly as well as Kyoto and Copenhagen.  Don't worry though, you'll have another "Last chance to save the world" when you do it next time.  Make sure to have everybody fly somewhere again, the jokes are easy (and recycled!).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 07:27:10 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2015, 07:30:52 PM by CrabCake the Liberal Magician »

Well this objectively went better than the disaster that was Copenhagen (or, to be cynical, was stage-managed far better). I see no reason for the OMG LOSERS LOL THEY FLY IN TEH PLANES unless you're trolling,

Though we can't really read people's minds, this is the first conference I've seen where the mood is urgent from all corners (including the private sector) rather than a bunch of world leaders turning up to add some progressive feathers to their caps before pledging a few dollars for "research". There does seem to be some tangible things being promised. Reforestation efforts are looking good, and African nations currently taking part in such projects are doing a good job at decrying the common belief that anything spent in that continent is wasted. The huge presence by subnational entities is good as well, especially in America where all federal legislation will be stymied for decades. The problem areas will be middling economies (SE Asia, Pakistan, India, S. Africa, the Balkans, Korea etc.), which have already invested in baseload grids but don't really qualify for direct aid and find it a bit galling to be asked to stop investing in new coal plants by nations that have historically produced the most emissions. Aside from that I'm more optimistic than I have been in a while. Coal, the worst fossil fuel, is being phased out in the UK, the Netherlands, Canada, (probably) Germany and Denmark; and the industry's greed is largely killing itself off (imagine how effective a lobby coal would be if executives hadn't squished the unions to make moneh). The oil industry is also sabotaging itself, which is fun. Volkswagen has put an end to the clean diesel delusion. T Abbott and Harper were gone, leaving only a few isolated fossils (literally, in the case of the Saudi delegation). China now does more to mitigate its emissions than America is doing ("b-b-b-b-b-b-but China!!!"). The big thing is how much developed economies will stump up cashwise. The always sanctimonious Scandanavians will probably own us all, but some countries will be stingy or try and play fishy (e.g. the Japanese delegation trying to sell coal plants as part of their climate aid).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »

Pollution levels set by each country, non binding, no way to force people to play ball.  Just like the last time.  I can't understand anybody liking this if you actually believe there will be catastrophic climate change in the next 50-100 years if we don't do something NOW.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 02:11:51 PM »

Pollution levels set by each country, non binding, no way to force people to play ball.  Just like the last time.  I can't understand anybody liking this if you actually believe there will be catastrophic climate change in the next 50-100 years if we don't do something NOW.

a binding vote would have been impossible to force through the US Senate. Believe me, I'd have liked more to be done; but this is an order of magnitudes more optimistic than other deals.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 09:26:07 PM »

Most Republicans back action on climate change after Paris summit

REUTERS
23 DEC 2015 AT 06:34 ET

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies