Jerry Falwell Jr. Says Dems Should Join GOP to ‘Lock Up’ Comey, Clinton, Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:58:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jerry Falwell Jr. Says Dems Should Join GOP to ‘Lock Up’ Comey, Clinton, Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jerry Falwell Jr. Says Dems Should Join GOP to ‘Lock Up’ Comey, Clinton, Obama  (Read 3040 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 12, 2018, 07:07:18 AM »

Oh look...some more moral guidance from right-wing Evangelical fraudsters who claim to be the moral barometer of this country:

https://www.mediaite.com/online/jerry-falwell-jr-says-dems-should-join-gop-to-lock-up-comey-clinton-obama-and-maybe-even-sessions/

There were, indeed, such Republicans, but the senior Falwell wasn't one of them.  I can most assuredly tell you that.

I've always been conflicted about the Falwells.  I agree with them on their views about morality in America, but their GOP hackishness ignores a number of Scriptues.  And, yes, I fail to see why Obame, in particular, should be "locked up".
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 06:32:11 AM »

Liberty University banned on campus interracial dating until the late 90's.

That's not true.  I believe you are referring to Bob Jones University.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »

He's a regular chip off the old block.

Worse! Jerry Falwell, Senior, could draw a line of acceptable behavior. Sure, he was a reactionary in social and economic values, but he never called for violence or for compromises of the rule of law.   

Err...Falwell Sr. also first made his name as a fire-breathing arch-segregationist who (IIRC) called for states and businesses to refuse to comply with Brown vs. Board of Education; he wasn’t much better than his son. 

But he gave up on segregationism. But we are talking about the 1950s and 1960s in a state (Virginia) that was very different from what it is now). Segregation academies were perfectly legal back then. He evolved even if he denied biological evolution.

I will say that I can't see Falwell, Sr. going this far.

I also don't think Falwell, Sr, would blow off Trump's lifestyle issues, or fudge on the issue of whether or not he thought Trump was saved.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »

Worse! Jerry Falwell, Senior, could draw a line of acceptable behavior. Sure, he was a reactionary in social and economic values, but he never called for violence or for compromises of the rule of law.   

Err...Falwell Sr. also first made his name as a fire-breathing arch-segregationist who (IIRC) called for states and businesses to refuse to comply with Brown vs. Board of Education; he wasn’t much better than his son. 

But he gave up on segregationism. But we are talking about the 1950s and 1960s in a state (Virginia) that was very different from what it is now). Segregation academies were perfectly legal back then. He evolved even if he denied biological evolution.

I also don't think Falwell, Sr, would blow off Trump's lifestyle issues, or fudge on the issue of whether or not he thought Trump was saved.

I agree.  Falwell Sr. was a terrible person in many ways, but he did have some limits and some moral standards.

Moral Majority was initially founded to lobby in favor of allowing white-only southern private schools to receive federal funding and an IRS decision to revoke tax-exempt status of Bob Jones University for banning interracial dating between students.  If anything, Falwell Sr. was even worse than his son.  We shouldn't look at this horrible and morally repugnant human being with nostalgia-colored glasses simply because he happens to be dead.  The apple fell right next to the tree in that family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Majority

I would question that assertion.  The Bob Jones University issue, IIRC, occurred in the 1980s.  While Jerry Falwell was definitely in error on the racial issue at one point, that was significantly before his Moral Majority days.  One can criticize the Moral Majority, as it is the movement that firmly entrenched the "Religious Right" as part of the political spectrum, but at least give it the right rap.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »

I agree.  Falwell Sr. was a terrible person in many ways, but he did have some limits and some moral standards.

Moral Majority was initially founded to lobby in favor of allowing white-only southern private schools to receive federal funding and an IRS decision to revoke tax-exempt status of Bob Jones University for banning interracial dating between students.  If anything, Falwell Sr. was even worse than his son.  We shouldn't look at this horrible and morally repugnant human being with nostalgia-colored glasses simply because he happens to be dead.  The apple fell right next to the tree in that family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Majority

I would question that assertion.  The Bob Jones University issue, IIRC, occurred in the 1980s.  While Jerry Falwell was definitely in error on the racial issue at one point, that was significantly before his Moral Majority days.  One can criticize the Moral Majority, as it is the movement that firmly entrenched the "Religious Right" as part of the political spectrum, but at least give it the right rap.

Well, if we’re using Wikipedia as a source, I raise you the Moral Majority section of this page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Falwell

I do remember some of the tax issues coming to fruition in the 1980sm but I may well have remembered wrong.  Falwell was very much wrong about integration, although he did repent on this issue, and while that means nothing to some, it's more than Jesse Jackson has done regarding his anti-Jewish comments in the 1984 campaign.

The Moral Majority WAS right on the decline of Biblical Morals in America.  That trend has gone unchecked, and we are producing worse outcomes as time goes by.  Worse outcomes for our kids in terms of education, behavior, and general well-being.  Worse outcomes for married couples, more unstable families (which affects kids' outcomes).  And I would argue that declining Biblical Morals has its role in income inequality; divorce and single parenthood had jacked up the demand for housing, has contributed to employment instability, and has created a workforce more desperate because they NEED that paycheck worse than ever, because the family is being supported by one income plus child support, with a chunk in daycare expenses out the door.  Then, too, there IS the issue of God; if God is just, is He going to bless people endlessly, even as they blow him off in regards to what He has said as far as how to live goes.  Jerry Falwell raised those issues in life, and he took the heat for them.  He wasn't always right, but he wasn't wrong about morality in America, and we are a worse off nation for blowing him off. 

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies