Poll of the holidays, Labor Day edition: will Trump still lead by Columbus Day? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 01:35:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Poll of the holidays, Labor Day edition: will Trump still lead by Columbus Day? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Monday, October 12th
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Poll of the holidays, Labor Day edition: will Trump still lead by Columbus Day?  (Read 3192 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: September 07, 2015, 07:11:12 PM »

If Trump is still ahead on Columbus Day, I'll make one of these for Halloween, then Veterans' Day, etc.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 07:41:49 PM »

I don't know: I think the Carson surge is beginning, and though I don't think Trump will be down and out by then, I think Carson will start leading in some polls.

I think the Carson surge is beginning, but so far, Carson's rise is not coming out of Trump's support. Poll after poll has shown Trump remaining steady or going slightly up while Carson is surging. Carson is, I think, a mixture of being the factional evangelical candidate (now that he's solidly emerging as such that's a good strong base of support right there) plus support coming from people looking for a gentler, less abrasive, wiser face of Trumpism. I think that Carson's support is coming out of the establishment candidates' hides plus Huck's hide, not Trump's.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:46:25 PM »

Four years ago, Rick Perry led the pack during late summer, Herman Cain surged in the early fall, Newt Gingrich was surging by November/December, and then Mitt Romney took the lead and the momentum.

This is a pretty ridiculous comparison.

RCP averages vs RCP averages up to this point in 2011.

Note

A. that Trump has been leading for nearly two months now, longer than any of the 2011 flavor of the month candidates. Perry had a huge media wave relating to his Labor Day weekend late entrance into the race that propelled him into #1.

B. More importantly, note how well Mitt Romney was doing even at the height of Perry's surge. By the end of September Mitt will be back over 20% and never drop below that line again, and is closer to 25% for most of the rest of the race, during periods he'll be basically tied with Cain and Gingrich. Trump, on the other hand...is by himself. Jeb Bush is polling about as well as Ron Paul was at this time four years ago, and Carson is just starting to break from the pack.

There's a giant Romney-shaped hole in the 2012-2016 comparison. That and Trump has already proven more durable than any of the flavor of the month candidates: he'll be celebrating two months leading the polling averages next Monday. Gingrich, the longest-lasting of the 2012 guys, made it a month and a half.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »

The 83% of you who voted yes were right!

Tomorrow, I start the Columbus Day edition. For now, discuss how the race has changed since Sept. 7th.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies