Animal Rights (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:22:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Animal Rights (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Animal Rights  (Read 2099 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« on: September 29, 2009, 01:37:13 AM »

All of that is definitely wrong but Americans will never be as emotionally invested in the treatment of cows as they are in the treatment of a domesticated animal (like dogs). That's a fact. That doesn't make it right but that's just how it is.

Cows are very domesticated. But what I think you're getting at is that cats and dogs are common household pets, and as a result many people are actually familiar with the creatures and realize how terrible it is to torture and/or murder them for their own selfish purposes. Unfortunately, most of these people are also stupid and uneducated. It doesn't matter that a pig is as smart as a dog, since most people have never had a pet pig.

Self-proclaimed "animal lovers" who eat meat are easily one of my biggest pet peeves. Another thing I hate is vegans/vegetarians who "rescue" a cat or dog and then feed it meat-based pet food... What's the point of rescuing the animal when you just pay the same slaughterhouses you abhor for pet food? Why is that dog so much more special than the animals in the dog food?

And the "It's okay for food!" argument is silly. We're not friggin' nomads, guys. We're not stranded on some island or in some barren mountain range. There is no excuse for civilized people in a place like the United States to eat meat. But, like numerous aspects of our culture, eating meat is a long-lasting remnant of humanity's primitive, savage, and uncivilized past.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:51:43 AM »

Also, I think the fact that vegetarians must often supplement their diets with animal based vitamins proves that we have not evolved to be vegetarians.

False.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

False. Perhaps you meant vegans.

Then reduce your consumption of animals to these "animal-based vitamins" you speak of. Even under your assumptions, which I don't agree with, I see no reason to eat animal products beyond these vitamins.

I've already seen your unprovoked hostility towards vegetarianism displayed multiple times on this board. But go ahead and use this as another excuse if it helps ease your guilty conscience.

And I don't have to be nice about it either.  If his point is to just play holier than thou and insult people, then fine.  If he's trying to make a point that might get people to reconsider their ways, that is a poor way to do it.

That's funny. I've always gotten a "holier than though" vibe from you on global warming issues. I'm sure you've been annoyed by my signature! Not eating meat would be the easiest thing you could personally do to help fight global warming and reduce your carbon footprint... But you don't do it. The word "hypocrite" comes to mind. Sure, it's easy to sit at your computer and type about the issue, but I will not be interested in listening to you on the subject until you start practicing what you preach. Of course, it's quite easy to misinterpret what someone means when it's just text on the internet. Tongue

I'm reminded of the Mafia hit man who kisses the cross hanging from his neck after killing in cold blood... Just like I can't help but wonder how he considers himself a Christian, I'm not sure why you seem to think you're some sort of environmentalist.

A vegetarian would have no problem getting B12... A vegan can get it from nutritional yeast and certain kinds of cereal. While I agree that many vitamins are animal-based despite what their labels may say, I disagree that all B12 has to come from animals. At least from what I've read, but I would be happy to look over your sources. Also, vegetables grown in feces (which is high in B12) can provide adequate amounts of the vitamin.

I'm sorry if you think I'm being mean. I've encountered a lot of random hostility towards vegetarianism and perhaps have become too defensive. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go watch Whale Wars. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies