SENATE BILL: Libyan Aid Bill (law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:08:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Libyan Aid Bill (law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Libyan Aid Bill (law'd)  (Read 8038 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »

Nay
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »

OK, Bgwah just want to kill the bill. BRTD is, well, BRTD, but Napoleon? WTF dude?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2011, 02:49:02 PM »

OK, Bgwah just want to kill the bill. BRTD is, well, BRTD, but Napoleon? WTF dude?

The authoritarian culture is the cause of the authoritarian government. Libya will never be free from tyranny until their culture becomes tolerant and accepting.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »

The authoritarian culture is the cause of the authoritarian government. Libya will never be free from tyranny until their culture becomes tolerant and accepting.

You are taking this way, way, way too far.  They will never be free from tyranny if they have stability issues because we decided the ability to drink was a paramount priority of our foreign policy, over ensuring stability and the survival of the state.

It is imperative that this dangerous Amendment be defeated.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2011, 04:21:43 PM »

You are taking this way, way, way too far.  They will never be free from tyranny if they have stability issues because we decided the ability to drink was a paramount priority of our foreign policy, over ensuring stability and the survival of the state.

It is imperative that this dangerous Amendment be defeated.

I'm sitting 100% with Ben on this one.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »

So, we're only allowed to "force" certain kinds of freedom upon foreign nations. Interesting.

Current tally: 3-4
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »

They can bring about their own changes, if they consider it appropriate.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 06:17:54 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2011, 06:58:04 PM by President Polnut »

Deleted - thank you Napoleon for retracting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »

Guys, if you want to piss off the Libyans over such idiotic thing (which is not only patronizing them, it's also insulting to majority of the Libyans sentiments), and produce even more anti-Atlasian sentiments in this fragile region, that's the right way.

But if you think patronizing and insulting is going to help them overcoming tyranny then you either don't know a jack about this country and very human nature, or you're fools.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »

A culture of tyranny will always produce tyranny.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »

This is not a culture of tyranny.  I find it amazing how you will condemn this country to fail, rather than let them develop on their own time.  It disturbs me how you seem to have no idea what the actual results of your crusades will be.  You have already harmed the new nation's security; now you're trying to ensure its failure.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »

This is not a culture of tyranny.  I find it amazing how you will condemn this country to fail, rather than let them develop on their own time.  It disturbs me how you seem to have no idea what the actual results of your crusades will be.  You have already harmed the new nation's security; now you're trying to ensure its failure.

I'm not really going to concern myself with propping up a theocracy. When your department starts sharing these concerns...well, I wont be holding my breath.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »

I'm not really going to concern myself with propping up a theocracy. When your department starts sharing these concerns...well, I wont be holding my breath.

For someone who allegedly cares about freedom, you seem perfectly willing to discard any possibility of it happening.  The NTC government, the one that just won a civil war against a brutal dictator despite your attempts to prevent it from happening, needs our help.  It is counterproductive long term to condition aid at the beginning on such an insanely minor issue. 

We can work on those issues when you become rational, but I'm not holding my breath either.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2011, 02:59:30 AM »

Guys, if you want to piss off the Libyans over such idiotic thing (which is not only patronizing them, it's also insulting to majority of the Libyans sentiments), and produce even more anti-Atlasian sentiments in this fragile region, that's the right way.

But if you think patronizing and insulting is going to help them overcoming tyranny then you either don't know a jack about this country and very human nature, or you're fools.

How dare we offer them $100 million dollars.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 03:15:41 AM »

Cheesy

This is one of the most entertaining Senate debates in recent months. Very much enjoying the read, everyone!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 05:34:27 AM »

All right, we should kick out Utah from the Union because of Mormon's anti-alcohol stance.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2011, 10:03:25 AM »

Alcohol is legal in Utah.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »

All right, we should kick out Utah from the Union because of Mormon's anti-alcohol stance.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »

Forcing our values and beliefs on other countries is never a good policy. I do not believe in one size fits all. What is good for us is not good for Libya. What we need to do is help them along as best we can to ensure it becomes a stable country. Legalizing alcohol should be the furthest thing from our worries. It worries me that this senate is bickering over something like that. "Let them fail if they won't legalize alcohol!" How ridiculous does that sound?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2011, 12:55:42 PM »

Forcing our values and beliefs on other countries is never a good policy. I do not believe in one size fits all. What is good for us is not good for Libya. What we need to do is help them along as best we can to ensure it becomes a stable country. Legalizing alcohol should be the furthest thing from our worries. It worries me that this senate is bickering over something like that. "Let them fail if they won't legalize alcohol!" How ridiculous does that sound?

Countries have boundaries, not beliefs. People have beliefs. And right now there are people in Libya who will never be free because they haven't made law secular. If they want to be a theocracy they can do it with Iran's help.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:44 PM »

And so what? Did this make Mormons less anti-alcohol?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »

Countries have boundaries, not beliefs. People have beliefs. And right now there are people in Libya who will never be free because they haven't made law secular. If they want to be a theocracy they can do it with Iran's help.

Don't you think that as this country rebuilds, they will liberalize? Or you're just willing to leave the country alone if we don't add this provision to the bill? Because I doubt they will liberalize if we just abandon them. That is the best way to ensure a radical theocracy is installed, which I think we all can agree none of us want.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2011, 01:10:23 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2011, 01:19:50 PM by Wolf Haley »

And so what? Did this make Mormons less anti-alcohol?
Non sequitur

Don't you think that as this country rebuilds, they will liberalize? Or you're just willing to leave the country alone if we don't add this provision to the bill? Because I doubt they will liberalize if we just abandon them. That is the best way to ensure a radical theocracy is installed, which I think we all can agree none of us want.

No, they will continue to disregard personal freedoms and avoid secularism. Yes I am. I doubt Libya will liberalize unless Libya has to. The best way to ensure a radical theocracy is installed is to allow that and support it as you and your allies are trying to now. Thank God we didn't lose this election.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »

Stellar logic. Haha.

I hope we vote this amendment down.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »

Again, you really think such patronizing approachment will help us with Libyans?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies